Thread Back Search
  • User Name
  • Password

Cycorder - Superior Free Video Recorder for 3G and 2.x

• 08-23-2008 | 12:12 PM
  • poetic_folly's Avatar poetic_folly Posts: 7,519

• Jay Freeman (aka Saurik), author of Cydia and WinterBoard, Friday released Cycorder (website not REALLY there yet. ), a FREE native iPhone video recorder application. The release comes hot on the tails of DreamCatcher's 2.x release of their $19.95 iPhone Video Recorder software, and is superior in many aspects.

Before, I get into the details, here's a sample video recorded with Cycorder.

QuickTime Videos

Quality on the videos is much higher than iPhone Video Recorder's movies, due to Saurik's use of MJPEG compression - the same compression used in the majority of point and shoot digital camera's with video support. Oh, and there is no waiting 3 times as long as your video length after you record before the video compresses and lets you watch it (as Showtime did, in 1.x firmwares - its not yet out for 2.x iPhones) - when you finish recording a video with Cycorder, you can immediately play the video back.

The video playback list has a slick first-frame thumbnail shown for each video you've taken, vs just a listing of the time's of each video as competing video recorders have (MUCH easier to tell which video is which - if you record several videos in an evening or day, the times really don't help you much at all later).

Videos are recorded at 384x288, a 4x3 aspect ratio. Depending on how well lit the area is, videos are recorded at between 6-15 fps. Saurik notes that the large variance of fps is due to the iPhone camera, which when video is recorded is basically taking pictures as fast as it can and when you take those photos the camera has to open its shutter, let in the light that makes up the photo, and close the shutter. The less light, the longer it takes to do that. So, better lighting equals higher quality fps, and therefore smoother videos.

The UI is done in landscape mode, and is extremely simple and easy to use - press the large center button on the right (bottom if the iPhone is held vertically) to record/stop recording, and press the small arrow to open up your playback list. Saurik mentioned he's looking at ways to even have the videos show up in your iPod Videos list once recorded in Cycorder.

Audio support is not yet included, but Saurik already has audio working on his test videos, and is ironing out some playback issues with the iPhone's mediaserverd before releasing. Depending on the success of his current ad-based monetization stratgey for Cycorder, audio support will either be a free upgrade or a premium upgrade which will also remove the ads.

Cycorder can be downloaded now from Cydia (its on the Featured Packages list on the front page of Cydia, or in the Multimedia section. I'd definitely recommend it - the video quality is the best out there, and audio will be included shortly.
  • 08-23-2008 | 12:15 PM
  • bbplayer5 Posts: 151
  • I got this and its really really good, and easy to use. Quality at its best. Cant wait for the audio!
  • 08-23-2008 | 12:16 PM
  • UnFaZeD Posts: 3
  • i will def. be downloading this!

ehhhhhhhh, quick question, i'm running 1.1.4 and i have cydia installed but i don't see the package on there, am i missing something??

Last edited by UnFaZeD; 08-23-2008 at 12:18 PM.
  • 08-23-2008 | 12:18 PM
  • kennyleeme Posts: 8
  • great one!
  • 08-23-2008 | 12:18 PM
  • blacksti Posts: 48
  • I just downloaded it works great (third)
  • 08-23-2008 | 12:19 PM
  • poetic_folly's Avatar poetic_folly Posts: 7,519
  • Quote de UnFaZeD
    ehhhhhhhh, quick question, i'm running 1.1.4 and i have cydia installed but i don't see the package on there, am i missing something??
    This is for iPhone's running 2.x.
  • 08-23-2008 | 12:19 PM
  • RByers Posts: 12
  • I like this better than the videorecorder3g!! not becuase its free although that is very nice but the videos look great and no encoding at the end is so much quicker!! Now all I need is sound and will be good to go. Very smooth operating and really good video quality for the iPhones sad 2MP camera. Why would I want to pay $20 dollars for something that should be on the phone anyways keep up the good work Saurik!!!
  • 08-23-2008 | 12:24 PM
  • 40_ounce's Avatar 40_ounce Posts: 5
  • Nice. Good work Saurik....
  • 08-23-2008 | 12:44 PM
  • r1994augusto's Avatar r1994augusto Posts: 35
  • yooooooooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuujuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!
  • 08-23-2008 | 12:52 PM
  • iphoneroeth Posts: 182
  • works great
  • 08-23-2008 | 01:00 PM
  • alek Posts: 12
  • AWSOME!!!!!!!! finally its free!! that other video recorder is way crapier (exept a better UI) and make you waste 20 bucks! This would be perfect if a rename and email option was added.
  • 08-23-2008 | 01:15 PM
  • pokekid Posts: 710
  • make it 10 or even 8 bucks and i bet a lot of people will buy it over 20 bucks. win-win and the recording is really good for the crappy apple camera
  • 08-23-2008 | 01:17 PM
  • umair9001 Posts: 14
  • i get an error not found in the current sources..

i have all da sources as well as refreshed..

Gt it working..seems there was a problem wid my net..

Last edited by umair9001; 08-23-2008 at 01:23 PM.
  • 08-23-2008 | 01:18 PM
  • FliP76 Posts: 30
  • Video is great, much brighter and crisper, i will gladly donate 20$ for this with audio.
  • 08-23-2008 | 01:20 PM
  • HarlemState Posts: 19
  • yesssss....audio we all need youuuuuuuu....but thanks for the release :-D
Return to Top