HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Free 3G iPhone Contest!
Unlocked Cell Phones

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > Computer Modding Software > OS X Specific Modding Discussion
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OS X Specific Modding Discussion Any modding questions which are specific to OS X should be posted here.

Work Opportunities at MMi - updated 6/29/08 | Discuss AppStore Apps!

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 AM
What's Jailbreak?

No edge settings on iphone 2.0 1st G Help

Hi,

I have pwned my iphone with firmware 2.0 (first generation). Everything works fine except the edge data transmission. The settings for edge are gone within the network settings. I cant connect to the internet other than through wifi. Where do I configure my edge settings???
I am using a Polish carrier named ERA (I have no idea if this is of any significance). Prior to upgrading to 2.0 from 1.1.4 I had no problems connecting using edge. I configured it myself within the general/network/edge settings and that was it.

Does anybody know what to do to solve this problem?? Help much appreciated!

regards
kurczak
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:12 AM

Device + Firmware: 1st Gen iPhone, FW2.0
Operating System: OSX Leopard

SSH to the iPhone, go to /var/mobile/Library/Carrier.Bundle Bundles/ and edit the carrier.plist

Go to the section right below TTY and add in these two lines:

< key > AllowEDGEEditing < /key>
< /true >

Save and reboot your iPhone. Once rebooted, when you go back into Settings -> General -> Network you'll see a new Network Settings option at the top.

PS: take out the spaces from the above key.
kurczak (07-24-2008)
Old 07-23-2008, 01:08 PM
What's Jailbreak?

How should I ssh with the iphone - ftp client or terminal?
Where do I edit the .plist - within the terminal or is the .plist a text file which can be edited and then replaced on the iphone?
Please bear with me - without a GUI I get easily lost. Maybe there is a wiki guide upon this issue?

regards
kurczak
Old 07-23-2008, 07:19 PM
What's Jailbreak?

@ Kurczak....

I had the same issue and I followed this guide >HERE< it's basically the same stuff that Eurisko wrote but with more details.

PS. I noticed that the usage (Sent & Recieved) is not capturing the correct data sent over the edge network. Like my usage reports that I sent over 21mb but the real number is 4.7mb over my edge network (I verified with my carrier).
The Following User Says Thank You to TorontoGuy For This Useful Post:
kurczak (07-24-2008)
Old 07-24-2008, 05:28 AM
What's Jailbreak?

OK - I tried to use the guide and i got as far as editing the .plist. I have changed .plist to text and edited in a text editor. After saving the changes the changed text appears but it is not in the same place where it was inserted. Nevertheless i have uploaded it on the iphone and rebooted it.
Unfortunately no edge settings have appeared. What am i doing wrong? Any ideas?

kurczak

Folks!

Great Success! (borat)

I dont know what I ve done but I ve done it. Celluar Data Network settings appear within the network settings and now i am able to input the settings for my particular carrier.

Funny thing happened along the way. When accessing the carrier bundles the first time there was a list of 6-7 carriers, including att a few from the UK and Germany. As i was trying to get the edge settings to appear i connected to the iphone numerous times and at one time carrier bundles from all the new countries where the iphone will be available showed up, eg. Russian and my specific carrier ERA (it actually named T-mobile.pl). When the connection with the iphone was interrupted i tried to access my carrier bundle again but it was not there anymore, and then after i opened another connection they all reappeared again. Wonder why and what may have caused this.

Anyways - i got it working (i'm not sure how). Eurisko & Toronto - thanks for your advice.
Cheers
kurczak

Last edited by kurczak; 07-24-2008 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-24-2008, 06:09 AM

That's good to hear. The guide you followed may have sent you to the system carrier.plist when you should actually go to the mobile carrier.plist, which is specific to your provider. Easier to understand and edit. At least you go it going.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone G2 FW2.0
Operating System: mac

I've been able to update my carrier.plist (uploaded it in text format), and now have the setting available in Settings | General | Network | Cellular Data Network.

I've set the correct settings (for Rogers Canada, don't think they're case sensitive), but can't connect to the internet. Wifi is off, and Data Roaming is On.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:31 AM

I had the same problem at first. What you need to do is only enable EDGE in the carrier.plist, and then make the actual additions of the EDGE settings on the phone itself, not in the carrier.plist; APN: internet.com, user: wapuser1, password: wap
Old 07-26-2008, 04:54 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone running 2.0(5A347). Model MA712LL
Operating System: Windows XP

I am based in New Zealand. I have updated my Gen 1 iPhone to firmware 2.0. I have pwned it. All operational except Edge. I just keep getting PDP authentication error. I have used SmartFTP to download carrier.plist. I converted it, added <key>AllowEDGEEditing</key> <true/>. Saved the file as a txt file and uploaded back up to iPhone. Did this under: vodafone_nz.bundle. This has made no difference at all. Under Settings - General - Network there is no edge tab but I do have data roaming, VPN and Wi-Fi tabs only. I have also tried inserting:
<key>apn</key>
<string>www.vodafone.net.nz</string>
<key>password</key>
<string />
<key>username</key>
<string />
I thought that by doing this I would not require the edge tab as this entry in carrier.txt would point edge in the right direction. This did not work. I really want to run 2.0 so I can remote update calendar and contacts as well as mail. I am thinking I may have to go back to 1.1.4. I do NOT want to buy an iPhone3G just yet as I am waiting for them to drop in price (just like Gen 1 they did in US.) Please help!!!!! Based in New Zealand.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:52 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4
Operating System: OSX 10.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZiphoneuser View Post
I am based in New Zealand. I have updated my Gen 1 iPhone to firmware 2.0. I have pwned it. All operational except Edge. I just keep getting PDP authentication error. I have used SmartFTP to download carrier.plist. I converted it, added <key>AllowEDGEEditing</key> <true/>. Saved the file as a txt file and uploaded back up to iPhone. Did this under: vodafone_nz.bundle. This has made no difference at all. Under Settings - General - Network there is no edge tab but I do have data roaming, VPN and Wi-Fi tabs only. I have also tried inserting:
<key>apn</key>
<string>www.vodafone.net.nz</string>
<key>password</key>
<string />
<key>username</key>
<string />
I thought that by doing this I would not require the edge tab as this entry in carrier.txt would point edge in the right direction. This did not work. I really want to run 2.0 so I can remote update calendar and contacts as well as mail. I am thinking I may have to go back to 1.1.4. I do NOT want to buy an iPhone3G just yet as I am waiting for them to drop in price (just like Gen 1 they did in US.) Please help!!!!! Based in New Zealand.
Hi im in the same position, also in NZ pwnd 1st gen on v2.0. have edited plist and uploaded, rebooted but nothing changed...if anyone figures this out, please let me know
Old 07-27-2008, 11:24 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone running 2.0(5A347). Model MA712LL
Operating System: Windows XP

I am in New Zealand and I spent days trying to update carrier.plist I downloaded ftp programs, altered carrier.plist at least a dozen times to reflect different things. Finally I came across a New Zealand fellow who has a website that will install a certificate on your iPhone for free that enables you to change the apn.
Set your iphone to to Wi-Fi.
on Safari (on your iPhone) go to APN Changer
Click on Continue to next page (Or donate if you feel generous).
There are three options you can click on. I know it says 3G phones but it works perfect on Gen1 phone.
1. Allow Data on Any Sim. (APN set to Buy mobiles, iPhone 3G, music, games, ringtones - get home phone and broadband - Vodafone NZ)
2. Set custom APN. (For you fellows not in New Zealand).
3. Disable Data. (For you fellows where GPRS/Edge works but you don't want it to).
Just click on the desired option, download/accept the certificate. Then restart your phone. GPRS/Edge is up and running. That simple. Well done LennonNZ from Geekzone: technology news, blogs, forums
If this solution works for you (which I am sure it will because it worked for me), please donate on APN Changer
For those like me that need an EASY step by step easy solution to upgrading your iPhone Gen 1 firmware from 1.1.4 to 2.0, I will post a full description on how to do it step by step in very easy language. I now receive pushed contacts, Calendar and Email via GPRS on my Gen 1 iPhone via Exchange.

Last edited by NZiphoneuser; 07-27-2008 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says Thank You to NZiphoneuser For This Useful Post:
kurani (07-28-2008)
Old 07-28-2008, 01:01 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4
Operating System: OSX 10.4

Awesome, worked for me thanks heaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > Computer Modding Software > OS X Specific Modding Discussion