ModMyMotoModMyiModMyGphone

Unlocked iPhones

Apple Forums | ModMyi.com | iPhone, iPod, Mac, OS X, Mods, More > iPhone Modding > T-mobile

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 01:51 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.0.1
Intermittent data problems

I'm using a 2nd gen iPhone with 2.0.1 and ever since I got this phone I've been having issues with the phone intermittently unable to connect to data services like mail, weather, web, etc. The E symbol will remain on so I don't think I'm off the Edge network and often times when this happens I have 3 or more bars. Things will be just fine for most of a day then I'll try to go on something like Safari and I can't get on. No message like "cellular data network unavailable", it just stops working unexpectedly. When this happens if I turn the phone off and back on again everything is fine again for a while. This happens at least once a day, sometimes more. I also had this issue when I was on 1.1.4, thought it maybe seems a little better since I upgraded from 2.0 to 2.0.1.

I should mention that I'm on the total internet plan and have APN set to internet2.voicestream.com (tried wap..same deal).

I borrowed the bosses 3G iPhone (on AT&T) for a few days and didn't experience similar issues - even when I turned 3G off.

Has anybody else here experienced similar problems?

Last edited by bbates; 08-07-2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Add'l info
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:10 PM
iPhoneaholic

Device + Firmware: 1st gen iphone with 2.1
Operating System: Vista 64, Vista 32, OS X, Windows 7
Send a message via AIM to Pcpro745 Send a message via MSN to Pcpro745 Send a message via Yahoo to Pcpro745

Havent had any issues yet, Im on 2.0 i use edge all the time now that i got it for 6 bucks
Old 08-07-2008, 03:13 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: Iphone 3G 16GB White 2.0 JB | Iphone 8 GB 1.1.4 JB
Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate + Ubuntu 7.10

Have you tried a restore? Try taking the SIM card out and popping in back in as well, that may help.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:25 PM
What's Jailbreak?

No, I haven't tried a restore but I might give that a shot once Winpwn with 2.0.1 support comes out.

As another poster mentioned in a different thread it also works for me to turn Airplane mode on and off.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:13 PM
What's Jailbreak?

I have had a similar problem. I would get "no service" after a minute or two of using edge. this is a thread I started describing the problems i had.

Tzones problem. Works for a minuite then "no service"

No one ever replied but after messing with the phone for several days i think i found a solution.

I used kiphone to erase my baseband. dfu restore to 1.1.4 then used iliberty + to activate jailbreak and unlock.

Worked great for about two days. then after installing an app from instaler "Ispoof" if it matters. the problem came back immediately. dfu back to 1.1.4 and used iliberty+ again and all is good. using 3.9fakeblank if it matters.

And just to note I have never had a dropped call or bad reception unless i was using the edge network.

Hope this helps you in some way.

Last edited by btmorris82; 08-08-2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-11-2008, 04:10 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Thanks Btmorris...though I don't think that's exactly my problem. I never get "no service" and it always stays on Edge. It's just that every once in a while my data doesn't work right, like I'll click on Weather and it will say "Updating" then after a minute or so it will say "Update failed". If I turn the phone off and back on it works fine.

I did try re-pwning my phone. Pwn'd to 2.0 using Winpwn, then I flashed the bootloader to 4.6 (because I hadn't done that before and I wanted to see if it would make a difference) and re-applied the 2.0.1 update via iTunes.

I'm still having this issue from time to time.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Did you find solution

Hi there,
my brother and i are having the same problem with the t-zones, it shows the edge symbol but i get no emails nor can surf on the web, i restore the phones and installed the new update (2.0.1) and jailbreaked and unlocked and is still doing the same thing. Please help it is very annoying and i work a lot with emails and the fact that i have to turn the phone off and on at least twice a day so i get emails and fix the t-zones is driving me crazy.
Any input will be appreciate it
thanks
Old 08-12-2008, 06:00 PM
What's Jailbreak?

One tip for you...if you turn Airplane mode on and then off it does basically the same thing as powering it down except a bit faster.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:33 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Yea I been having the same problem since upgrading to 2.0 & 2.0.1. Edge comes and goes when it wants to. Never had any problems before on 1.1.4
Old 08-14-2008, 04:33 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iphone
Operating System: mac
tmobile SLOW sms with iphone!?? HELP!!

im having text problems with my iphone....i have a tmobile acct and using my tmobile sim card. the sms works its just VERY slow!! --help please
Old 08-14-2008, 06:23 PM
iPhoneaholic

Device + Firmware: 1st gen iphone with 2.1
Operating System: Vista 64, Vista 32, OS X, Windows 7
Send a message via AIM to Pcpro745 Send a message via MSN to Pcpro745 Send a message via Yahoo to Pcpro745

SMS is slow sending sometimes i just restart and it fixes it
Old 08-20-2008, 10:29 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Interestingly, I found that when I left my iphone out in the car (for almost 2 days) I never lost data. Brought it in to work and sure enough, later in the day I lost data and I had to do the airplane mode on and off trick. So, I'm thinking that when the phone had very poor reception at one point indoors it disconnected from the data network and didn't get back on properly (even though the "E" symbol was there).

My AT&T 3G iPhone (on AT&T) has worked flawlessly. Makes me sad because I really don't want to switch to AT&T
Old 08-21-2008, 03:17 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Have the same issue... Just moved to the iPhone, running 2.0 unlocked on T-mo network. Like the OP (I think) I've got the "Total Internet" data plan, no T-zones proxy hack being used.

Good to know about the airplane mode toggle - seems like a faster fix but still anoying. Out of curiosity - do you have Wi-Fi enabled? It seems to me that my issue may have to do with switching back and forth from EDGE to Wi_Fi... if I keep Wi-Fi disabled the problem seems to happen less?... testing out that theory now.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:14 PM
What's Jailbreak?

I have the