Thread Back Search
  • User Name
  • Password

Super Monkey Ball

• 07-10-2008 | 04:15 PM
  • Happy Noodle Boy Posts: 616
  • Cost: $9.99
    Developer: SEGA

I think this title needs no introduction. Showcased in WWDC and that other convention, it's one of the big titles to come to the iPhone and use its Accelerometer as control.

The goal is simple, get the monkey in a ball to the end of the stage while grabbing as many bananas as you can. That said, you don't control the monkey, you control the stage the monkey is on. Using the iPhone, you can tilt it any direction you'd like to tilt the stage and off the monkey goes. Try not to fall!

Pros: incredible graphics for the iPhone, really makes me wonder what else they can throw at us. Over 100 stages, different difficulties, practice mode, and rankings.

Cons: the controls are... odd. It's not like you'd expect them to be and the constant camera changes make moving the monkey to the end a real challenge. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and say I'm not used to the controls yet but believe me when I tell you, this game is hard.
  • 07-10-2008 | 04:22 PM
  • Greenkirby21 Posts: 119
  • Quote de Happy Noodle Boy
    Cost: $9.99
    Developer: SEGA

Cons: the controls are... odd. It's not like you'd expect them to be and the constant camera changes make moving the monkey to the end a real challenge. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and say I'm not used to the controls yet but believe me when I tell you, this game is hard.
    I agree, but after playing for about 1 hour, and only being on level 7 on world I, I got it down, and the game has become much easier!
  • 07-10-2008 | 04:37 PM
  • coreym@cfl.rr.com Posts: 523
  • Thanks for the review I was looking at buying this but am hesitant. I tied that neverball and man was it hard to control the ball for me, is this the same?
  • 07-10-2008 | 09:29 PM
  • danvicente Posts: 91
  • i played neverball too and if super mokey ball is anything like controling that im out (although the graphics might already have me sold :-p)
  • 07-10-2008 | 09:34 PM
  • Don't let the graphics fool you, people! This game is sadistically hard!

(just finished the first world, but still need perfect runs to unlock the next)
  • 07-11-2008 | 09:33 AM
  • kdubbicles Posts: 5
  • i got monkey ball. and it sucks. yeah ok so its good good graphics, but wtf it was put together by sega what do you expect. the controls make me want to choke the developer. its not even fun. i mean its better than the scratch app, but come on. i have more fun playing raging thunder...
  • 07-11-2008 | 10:57 AM
  • ixbilalxi Posts: 62
  • Its hard but i am getting noticeably better at the game.

It has a learning curve but it is super fun when you get into to it. I like the difficulty level a lot.
  • 07-11-2008 | 12:30 PM
  • DoerrFan's Avatar DoerrFan Posts: 1,620
  • Level 7 is a *****.
  • 07-11-2008 | 01:01 PM
  • aziatiklover's Avatar aziatiklover Posts: 1,273
  • the game suck balls to me thats the reason why sega doesnt make any console
  • 07-11-2008 | 01:16 PM
  • After a day of playing and finally "getting" the controls (just tilting doesn't even scratch the surface of how sensible the game is), I'm getting a lot better than this. I already got all bananas in 7/10 of the Easy levels and 5/10 in the Hard levels of Monkey Island.

PS: do NOT try to play this in a moving vehicle (bus), it'll just make you want to hurt yourself.
  • 07-11-2008 | 01:24 PM
  • gwant Posts: 28
    Level 7 is a *****.
    yeah seriously!
  • 07-11-2008 | 01:55 PM
  • I wish there was a setting to change the accelerometer's sensitivity.
  • 07-11-2008 | 02:54 PM
  • billchase2's Avatar billchase2 Posts: 730
  • i just bit the bullet and purchased it.

worth every penny...
  • 07-11-2008 | 04:02 PM
  • I can beat lvl 7 10 times in a row without falling. Just practice and youll get good. Dont make any jerky movements. Be nice and slow.
  • 07-11-2008 | 04:10 PM
  • Sparblaze Posts: 157
  • I bought it but my iPhone won't sync
Return to Top