Thread Back Search
  • User Name
  • Password

The Cydia Appreciation Thread - Goodbye Installer

• 08-19-2008 | 04:26 PM
  • reeko's Avatar reeko Posts: 542
  • When the 2.0 jailbreak first came out, and my homescreen had a "Cydia" icon, no Installer icon, it was weird, and like most of you, i longed to have Installer back.

However, i would like to say thankyou to saurik for Cydia. It was weird to start with, but i can honestly say, when the 2.0.2 jailbreak comes out i will not be installing Installer.

Installer clutters up the homescreen with 1 extra icon that you dont need, and your space with one extra app that doesn't even do what cydia does.

I love cydias smooth, simple feel, exactly what Installer used to be. Installer is now far to "pretty" and over designed.

I know its only beta, but im ready to say bye. Are you?
  • 08-19-2008 | 04:38 PM
  • unlockme Posts: 99
  • i liked installer very much pre-2.0 days and was never in a rush to try out cydia buuuut since i have been forced to use cydia i have been rather impressed by it as well. i havent tried installer 4 beta but am looking forward to using it againl. cydia is very well done and has been extrememly reliable/stable for me.
  • 08-19-2008 | 05:19 PM
  • bhz1's Avatar bhz1 Posts: 677
  • Before 2.0 I had gotten to where I was mostly using Cydia except for apps that were only hosted on Installer. Those had gotten to be very few. I really don't miss Installer. I do miss some apps that havent been ported yet, but I got to give the developers credit. They have done a fantastic job of keeping us all jailbroken and for the most part unlocked. Thes guys and gals have day jobs and well only have so much time. I am amazed at what gets done. If Apple stopped throwing out new firmware, maybe the developers might catch their breath and port some more apps, but I am grateful for what I do have. WHat is coming out is so much better that the old apps, I can only imagine what is to come.
  • 08-19-2008 | 07:22 PM
  • stadler's Avatar stadler Posts: 64
  • I LOVE CYDIA! EF Installer

Thanks
  • 08-19-2008 | 08:36 PM
  • Real_Iphonecrazy Posts: 113
  • As far as I'm concerned Rusian Rip-Dev can hang his gluvs up and call it a day as far as I'm concerned. It would take a year of Sundays for installer 4 to get anywhere neer as good as Cydia. I think Jay has done a briliant job and continous at a relentless pace to update Cydia as well as Winterboard.

A big thanks from the UK, keep up the brilliant work.

I to wont be installing Installer wnen I upgrade to FW2.0,2.

IphoneCrazy
    /Marc
  • 08-19-2008 | 08:44 PM
  • lebsoljah Posts: 6
  • Cydia is the best because I've never used Installer

I don't plan on installing it
  • 08-19-2008 | 08:50 PM
  • hartphoto Posts: 120
  • Cydia and Winterboard I use daily. Even donated for.

Thank you Saurik!
  • 08-19-2008 | 08:55 PM
  • Eurisko's Avatar Eurisko Posts: 2,768
  • Cydia continues to hang after installs/removals 50% of the time, requiring a reboot. I wouldn't assign it a saintly value just yet.
  • 08-19-2008 | 09:17 PM
  • questioncom Posts: 279
  • Quote de unlockme
    i liked installer very much pre-2.0 days and was never in a rush to try out cydia buuuut since i have been forced to use cydia i have been rather impressed by it as well. i havent tried installer 4 beta but am looking forward to using it againl. cydia is very well done and has been extrememly reliable/stable for me.
    i feel the same way. at first i dreaded using cydia, now its my fav thing on my phone.

----------------
    Now playing: Arcangel - Siente El Mambo
    via FoxyTunes
  • 08-19-2008 | 09:24 PM
  • Real_Iphonecrazy Posts: 113
  • it doesnt hang for me, have you contacted jay with a list of installed apps. Im sure he'd be interested in resolving any problems with his apps.

installer hangs and crashes all the time, I know its beta but come on its absalute garbage.

IphoneCrazy
  • 08-20-2008 | 01:46 AM
  • oo3's Avatar oo3 Posts: 118
  • i know installer is still in beta, but i love cydia's overall design. with installer, i have to constantly check for updates manually, cydia's more like the app store to me. way better design IMHO.
  • 08-20-2008 | 11:55 AM
  • dale1v's Avatar dale1v Posts: 1,494
  • Seeing as I don't have an iPhone anymore and I'm abstaining from the purchase of the iPhone 3G, I'm missing out: What is new in Installer 4, apart from a new skin? Does it have proper search yet? Does it actually show what is in the download queue now?
  • 08-20-2008 | 12:53 PM
  • neox Posts: 21
  • @dale1v:
    just a new skin...no search.. very few useless Apps/Tweaks....and not many sources.. i have noticed a slow progress though! I wish the bigboss and ispazio gets all their apps ported..

Four tabs: Feature (Nothing there yet), Categories, Sources (3 or 4), and Tasks (downloading queue).. Everytime I launch Installer, it has to download/refresh all sources (slow process).. I cant use Cydia because of some undetermined error, but Cydia is much more superior. I am stuck with Installer, hope the porting gets done soon...

bottom line: you are not missing much...
  • 08-20-2008 | 01:01 PM
  • hartphoto Posts: 120
  • Quote de neox
    bottom line: you are not missing much...
    Until I saw this thread I forgot that Installer 4 beta was even installed by the latest pwnage tool. Poof has it hidden

I don't miss Installer. Although I'd love to have the disk space back that it takes up....but I don't want to go back and re-run the pwnage tool, remove the option for it to install the beta, and then re-setup my iPhone.

PWN'd 2.0.1 is working fine for me, as well as what's available via Cydia. I've not had Cydia lock up or anything like a few have reported.
Return to Top