Thread Back Search
  • User Name
  • Password

is my phone locked or unlocked?

• 08-27-2008 | 12:39 PM
  • tacotuesday Posts: 6
  • hi. This is a difficult topic to find an answer to so i decided to post it here. i bought my iphone unlocked from a kid in one of my classes and just took the sim from my old samsung flip phone and put it in the iphone. I proceeded to jailbreak my iphone about a month later, then the month after that, then i bought an iphone data plan from att because i had racked up $800 dollars in data charges for having a non data supporting plan. once i got the iphone data plan, my phone got the visual voicemail feature too. I really wanted to upgrade my phone to 2.0, but i'm scared because i'm afraid it'll brick. so can anyone help me?
  • 08-27-2008 | 12:41 PM
  • SundayDuffer's Avatar SundayDuffer Posts: 563
  • Are you with ATT or TMobile? is it a First Gen or 3G ?
  • 08-27-2008 | 12:46 PM
  • AT&T and it's a first generation
  • 08-27-2008 | 12:57 PM
  • Youre be fine with the update...just be sure to UNCHECK the activate button when you're building the custom firmware.
  • 08-27-2008 | 01:06 PM
  • satch2501 Posts: 135
  • This means that you will need winpwn or pwnage tool to build a custom firmware. Don't upgrade regularly as you may brick your phone.
  • 08-27-2008 | 04:17 PM
  • CUSTOM firmware? I'm sorry, i'm pretty much a newb at this. i don't care if my phone is back to being locked, does that matter?

edit: i found out what the custom firmware part is on iclarified

Man i feel so dumb asking all these questions, but... would these be the steps i have to go through? in order:
    1. restore my iphone
    2. upgrade to the latest firmware
    3. jailbreak and unlock using pwnagetool and build a custom firmware

Last edited by tacotuesday; 08-27-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
  • 08-27-2008 | 04:26 PM
  • Quote de tacotuesday

Man i feel so dumb asking all these questions, but... would these be the steps i have to go through? in order:
    1. restore my iphone
    2. upgrade to the latest firmware
    3. jailbreak and unlock using pwnagetool and build a custom firmware
    Youre on the right track. Read up and have fun modding.
  • 08-29-2008 | 05:57 PM
  • Actually, do I even need to restore my phone before upgrading, or can i just install the latest firmware on my phone and go about the ret of the steps? If do in fact need to restore it first, will the restore my iphone button in itunes do the trick?
Return to Top