Thread Back Search
  • User Name
  • Password

WIFI crashing phone/not working

• 07-19-2008 | 06:11 AM
  • grentch Posts: 6
  • As the title says. late model Iphone 1st gen. Unlocked/jailbroken with Ziphone. firmware 1.1.4. Worked fine for weeks. No problems. Then the problems started.

Can't find wifi, even if beside router. Router works fine and this problem occurs no matter which router wifi network I try to join.

If it does find the wifi, it'll say it's connected, but the wifi indicator shows a blue square.

Maybe half the time the iphone will crash and reboot trying to connect to wifi.

I followed the usual advice. Reset iphone back to factory/out of the box/locked settings in itunes. forgot networks, etc. Still won't connect.

Any ideas or is the phone broken? It feels like it's a software issue, but....

If the iphone is broken is it the logic board at fault or the comms board?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • 07-19-2008 | 06:39 AM
  • jtesnani Posts: 750
  • Have you tried restoring the phone with a stock 1.1.4 firmware and rejailbreak/unlock it with a method other than ziphone? from what i've read overall that ziphone can cause wifi problems, but just try restoring first and see if that fixes the problem. otherwise, search for grayed out wifi fixes on here
  • 07-19-2008 | 07:06 AM
  • I tried the restore alright, but always used ziphone to unlock/jailbreak it, so maybe that's it. I searched for wifi problems before, but not using that search criteria. I'll try that. Thanks appreciate it.
  • 07-19-2008 | 07:12 AM
  • Broomhead's Avatar Broomhead Posts: 1,757
  • ZiPhone is your problem. Its cancer in your phone. Restore and use iLiberty or pwnage tool / Winpwn
  • 07-19-2008 | 08:43 AM
  • That sounds like the problem alright so I'll find iliberty for mac and give that a go. My only concern is that the wifi is unresponsive even when I restore it back to original with itunes/1.1.4. blank Iphone out of the box condition. Does ziphone leave code laying around even if you restore that would screwup the wifi?

Maybe I should give your good advice a go, before I continue whining

Thanks again.
  • 07-19-2008 | 08:46 AM
  • Broomhead's Avatar Broomhead Posts: 1,757
  • DFU Restore Mode:
    1. Boot phone (powered on)
    2. Hold Power + Home until the screen goes BLACK
    3. Continue to hold home and let go of power
    4. Plug into iTunes (screen should still be BLACK)
    5. Within 20 seconds it should come up in recovery mode
    6. Let go of Home and hit RESTORE in iTunes.
  • 07-19-2008 | 01:11 PM
  • Thanks for that. I never did it that way before. Just plugged it into the mac and ituned it. Probably why its borked. I'll let you know how I get on.

Right so. I took all your good advice and DFU'd and used Ilibertyx and..... so far so good! Wifi is showing full signal and not dropping the link! Apologies for the exclamation marks. just happy it's all working. Of course if it falls down in an hour I'll be here whining again. Just put me on ignore Tnx again really appreciate the help.

OK it worked well for a while so I installed a few apps, summerboard, vwallpaper, boss prefs, fring. Now it's back to the way it was again. So maybe it's one of the third party apps?

OK new bigger problem. I tried to restore the phone a second time after it stared acting up. It restores alright but when I try to run iliberty it just sits there at "preparing jailbreak". So have I bricked it or is there a way around this?

Last edited by grentch; 07-19-2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
  • 07-20-2008 | 08:17 AM
  • chriscoyne's Avatar chriscoyne Posts: 156
  • Go to settings with WiFi set to On...Select your WiFI and tap on the Blue Arrow.

Under 'DHCP" you can change the DNS Servers.
    Under "Static" you can edit all the information manually.

Option 1

Try OpenDNS

Set your DNS to: 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

Option 2

Under Static Tab:

IP Address: 192.168.1.150
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 192.168.1.1
    DNS: 192.168.1.1

So try this. It might be good to go to settings/General/Reset/Resetnetworksetting and do the reset.

Chris

Go to settings with WiFi set to On...Select your WiFI and tap on the Blue Arrow.

Under 'DHCP" you can change the DNS Servers.
    Under "Static" you can edit all the information manually.

Option 1

Try OpenDNS

Set your DNS to: 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

Option 2

Under Static Tab:

IP Address: 192.168.1.150
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 192.168.1.1
    DNS: 192.168.1.1

So try this. It might be good to go to settings/General/Reset/Resetnetworksetting and do the reset.

Chris

Last edited by chriscoyne; 07-20-2008 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
  • 07-20-2008 | 09:32 AM
  • Thanks for that. The problem is that half the time I can't see the wireless at all and when I do it crashes the phone. It's a right pain. Can't even use iliberty to rejig it. Pwnagetool got it back for me, but unlike in iliberty the wireless doesn't work at all now.
Return to Top