HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Go Back   ModMyiFone.com | iPhone forums, iPhone hacks, iPhone unlock > ModMyiFone > Accessory Review
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Accessory Review Reviews on and questions about iPhone accessories. If you've got an accessory, or have seen one, let us know how it works!

iPhone Optimized MMi | Browser Optimized MMi

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

Opportunities at MMi | 1.1.4 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 04:58 PM
My iPhone is a Part of Me

Best Skin Ever: DIY with pics - Flawless Execution

I decided to write this because I do not like the instructions that came with the skin. There is a better way and we're going to do it here.

(1)- Turn your iPhone off and clean it with alcohol and a lint free cleaning pad. It dries extremely quickly and removes any oil and dirt.

(2)- Get a credit card with a smooth edge. Run your finger down it to make sure there are no harsh spots where the card was precut from the factory.

(3)- Get a small bowl and fill it half full with hot water to equal about half a cup. Drop one single drop of dish washing liquid in the water and stir it with your finger.

(4)- Take your iPhone and the skin and go into your bathroom. Run the shower on full hot for about 3 minutes until the room is full of steam. dip your fingertips into the soap water bowl and peel the skin off the paper it came on. Set it down sticky side up on the paper and go back to the phone. The air will be moist and start to condense on the sticky side of the skin while you are over prepping the iPhone. Make certain that the moisture content in the room stays high, if this means you must keep the shower going the whole time, then do so.

(5)- Take your finger and dip it into the soap water, shake it once. This will leave just a small amount of water on the tip of your finger. You should have a reasonably high condensation across the iPhone from the steam of the shower. All you are doing is applying the most minimal amount of soap water needed to make the skin slide into place. You are depending completely on the steam for most of the moisture which will allow you to do this without getting water in your iPhone. Rub it across the face of the iPhone all around and you'll notice a very thin layer of soap water is now on the face of the iPhone. THIS IS ALL YOU NEED. It should be a ridiculously small amount of trace water. If you do it this way you'll be able to turn your phone back on almost instantly once you are done rather than waiting 24 hours.

(6)- Immediately set the skin on the face of the iPhone and line it up properly. Pick the phone up and turn it face down while holding it from the back so as the face is visible and accessible as you hold the iPhone at eye level. Gravity will make this work for you from here. Use your credit card to squeegee the skin to the face of the phone and wipe away any excess water at the bottom immediately. Turn it around and squeegee it the other direction and wipe any excess moisture away immediately. There will be very little because you are doing this the proper way with minimal liquid. Use something to remove the moisture that is lint free. You'll see some lint in the photos below where I used a towel to wipe the excess moisture off and it leaves lint residue traces I'll have to wipe off with alcohol later.

(7)- Repeat the prepping procedure for the rear and install the skin with the same minimal liquid and technique so it is properly on the phone.

(8)- Make sure there is no excess moisture and grab your hair dryer. It helps to have a hair dryer that has a "cool" setting so you can go between hot and cold. By alternating hot and cold in 2 minute intervals you can force the skin to dry to the phone and eliminate the possibility of it getting too hot and stretching. You'll find that after about 5 minutes the edges of the skin will start to stick around the corners of the phone.

If at this point you are satisfied that the corners are sticking properly then you are done. If you used the technique for applying minimal liquid, you can turn your phone on immediately as there was virtually no moisture to begin with.

Using this method, you can apply the skin without fearing water damage to your phone!

(see the lint around the chrome.... this is what happens when you forget and grab the wrong cloth that is not lint free)

Looking for some docks? One's Custom Docks Click Here!
- - - - PART 2 Click Here!

Customize for 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 Click HERE.

Swaptunes for 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 Click HERE.

Last edited by one1 : 03-01-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:
gorob (03-04-2008), mzkaye729 (03-03-2008)
Old 03-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: Iphone. 1.1.4. Jailbroken. Unlocked.

That's a really good and detailed tut.

Is that an invisible shield? It looks really good.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:12 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Nice job. Have seen guides before on this subject - yours is very well done ...
Old 03-01-2008, 07:19 PM

Device + Firmware: 8GB 1.1.1 iPhone
Operating System: Windows XP Professional

Thanks for this guide ! Didnt know the shower method works so well for installing the skin ~
Old 03-01-2008, 07:25 PM

The lighter the moisture, the less you'll need to apply. The less you apply, the quicker you can turn the phone back on. This way allows you to turn it on instantly because you had no excess water to dry. on a side note, you'll probably never drop your phone with one of these skins on because they feel tacky and are very high grip. A very cool undocumented feature.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:45 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Looks good to me...
Old 03-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: 8GB iPhone 1.1.4 T-Mobile
Operating System: OS X 10.5.2

Wow I'm surprised you got the tabs on the back to stick. Nice photos!
Old 03-03-2008, 02:28 PM

Device + Firmware: 8GB 1.1.1 iPhone
Operating System: Windows XP Professional

Great guide ! Thanks !!
Old 03-03-2008, 03:02 PM

Device + Firmware: Iphone 1.1.4 Jailbroken (not unlocked)
Operating System: Windows XP

will it work n public bathrooms? lmao jk
Old 03-03-2008, 04:19 PM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 8GB 1.1.4 Jailbroken
Operating System: Happily Running Windows Vista!
Send a message via AIM to MgNate

Great guide, looks really nice. But where do we get these skins you talk of? Link maybe? Something, at least tell me what it's called so i can google it...
Old 03-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Green Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgNate View Post
Great guide, looks really nice. But where do we get these skins you talk of? Link maybe? Something, at least tell me what it's called so i can google it...
here is the link http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/StoreFront
Old 03-03-2008, 08:49 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Good guide but i really dont think the phone will be harmed by the little water needed to put this skin on. I have done a few iPhones by just dipping (the skin not the phone) with no problems and wouldn't moisture in the air make it easier to get water in the phone? I am in no way bashing your how to, it is very well done and have heard others using the shower as well. Also the hair dryer with hot to cold works great, good tip
Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgNate View Post
that would be the name of the thread.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 PM

Send a message via MSN to straightryder

cool, a condom for the iphone.

beat that Black Berry.
* Bible -- (iphone user) Mark 8:36
Old 03-04-2008, 03:40 PM
What's Jailbreak?

wow, i wish i would've read this thread before i put my skin on. but I think i didn't do that bad of a job compared to your method.

ModMyiFone.com | iPhone forums, iPhone hacks, iPhone unlock > ModMyiFone > Accessory Review