HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > iPhone > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chit Chat The lounge, if you will. Get to know each other, let your randomness be evident.

MMi Super Contest | 30 winners! Over $1500 in Prizes! Enter Today!

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Green Apple

anyone near Gustav?

just thought id see how people are fairing

Last edited by Boo Boo; 09-01-2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.3
Operating System: OSX Leopard
Send a message via AIM to wareagle5693

idk know why people are making such a big deal out of this.. i wasn't really close to it, in the gump but still.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:25 PM
What's Jailbreak?

im not but my cousin and nephew are out there... They got outta there though and are staying with some friends in arkansas right now. I talked to them last night and they told me that they heard it really wasn't that bad. They also told me that everyone was way more prepared in getting ready and were actually quite calm about the whole evacuation.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:55 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: IPhone 3G White 16GB And IPhone 8GB
Operating System: IMac And Macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle5693 View Post
idk know why people are making such a big deal out of this.. i wasn't really close to it, in the gump but still.
People make a big deal out of this because some can only imagine what these kinds of storms are like that have never live in a area that gets them.... just like some people have never seen snow or snow storms or drove in ice storms.... and some may be concerned about family or relatives in these areas....
Old 09-03-2008, 12:54 AM
iPhoneaholic

Device + Firmware: PWNed iPhone 2.01 Jailbroken and Unlocked
Operating System: Leopard on Macbook and Vista Ultimate on PC

where? Im sorry for being ignorant.. but actually where is it?
Old 09-03-2008, 12:58 AM
iPhoneaholic

Operating System: Windows XP | Mac OSX | Ubuntu

it made landfall in.. Cro..something, Louisiana.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G (Black) 2.0.2
Operating System: Windows Vista

I am from Louisiana. But I live in North Louisiana though. The worst of it was in South Louisiana. It started flooding up here last night though and it knocked A LOT of trees, etc. down in my city and surrounding cities.

New Orleans got lucky this time that it wasn't a direct hit for them. They better count their blessings.

I am tired of these hurricanes though. It's becoming really annoying and is costing a lot of damage and money.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:21 AM
iPhoneaholic

Device + Firmware: 3G 16GB BLK-2.0.2
Operating System: XP Pro & Vista

I live North of New Orleans & East of Baton Rouge. We had a lot of wind and rain.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:22 AM

Device + Firmware: PWN'd 2G 2.0.1
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.4

Parents (in their 70s) near Baton Rouge, LA....which was in the path of the storm, but a little over an hour (70 miles) inland.

Long story short, they've been without power and land line phone service since middle of the night on 8/31. No flooding for them (higher ground area away from creeks/bayous/etc.) Estimate of 1-3 WEEKS before power may be restored, no idea of when phone line will be restored. Cell phone service is barely usable, haven't gotten through at all save for a few SMSs. At least I know they are alright. They've been running their refrigerator & TV on a generator for 3 days now. Store stocks really low, same for gas. About all I've gotten from the SMSs....
Old 09-04-2008, 09:08 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: 1.2.2 OOTB iPhone jailbroken to 2.0
Operating System: Vista 64-bit
Send a message via AIM to SharpieBandit Send a message via MSN to SharpieBandit

Ha I'm in Central Louisiana and my power flickered twice. Gustav was pretty much blown WAY over proportion. I don't mean to offend anyone that had damage done to their property or anything down farther south. All I got was a bunch of wind and rain.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Green Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpieBandit View Post
Ha I'm in Central Louisiana and my power flickered twice. Gustav was pretty much blown WAY over proportion. I don't mean to offend anyone that had damage done to their property or anything down farther south. All I got was a bunch of wind and rain.
EXACTLY MY POINT! And the bad thing is, that since they were making Gustav out to be this terrible storm and it really wasn't, some people will think next time that a very dangerous storm, such as what Ike seems like right now people might think that its not going to be as bad.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 PM
iPhoneaholic

Operating System: Windows XP | Mac OSX | Ubuntu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle5693 View Post
EXACTLY MY POINT! And the bad thing is, that since they were making Gustav out to be this terrible storm and it really wasn't, some people will think next time that a very dangerous storm, such as what Ike seems like right now people might think that its not going to be as bad.
You have to prepare for the worst each and every time. I don't see your point.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Green Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by 461am View Post
You have to prepare for the worst each and every time. I don't see your point.
Yes, I'm not saying that what they did was wrong, but what I do think was wrong was that the news companies were making WAY to big a deal of this... maybe all my I don't give a crapness(*edited LOL) is from staying in Panama City through Ivan, and another bad hurricane when I was younger. I'm glad that Gustav was as "calm" for a hurricane that is, but some of the news networks were comparing Gustav to Katrina, and I just couldn't see that.. I'm glad everything was fine, but I didn't think that it was going to be as a bad as everyone was saying. Now and this is a different subject, but Ike I'm gonna keep my eye on him, because some of the predicted paths have him heading towards Alabama.. just gonna say it won't be another Ivan(I don't think) but if it hits Alabama, or the FL. Panhandle there could be some damage/flooding in South AL, but South Florida yall buckle up and get ready for a rough next week or 2, First Hannah, then Ike, and finally Josephine.
Old Yesterday, 05:41 AM

Device + Firmware: PWN'd 2G 2.0.1
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.4

Hurricane damage is like tornado damage (after all, a hurricane is kind of like a really large tornado)...it all depends on where you are, and that's why so many ignore hurricane/severe weather warnings. News companies just hype it up.

While some didn't get much damage at all, some did. When Gustav made landfall, it tracked a bit north and east, and put Baton Rouge on direct northeast eyewall winds (the highest).

So, like a tornado, one side of the street can get horrific damage, and the other not much if any.

FWIW, my neighborhood where my parents live (and I grew up) still don't have power or telephone service. No house/property damage. But Entergy (power company) has told them that this area was hit the hardest, and could be 2 more weeks for power. Hospitals and city services get fixed/turned on first, then houses. We had quite a few go through as I was growing up, but nothing that killed the power/telephone service for so long.

At least the cell service is back full strength as of yesterday, so I know they are ok (save for running the house on a generator).
Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
Britney Spears of MMi

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.0.1
Operating System: Vista Ultimate
Send a message via MSN to Zeal

I live in Miami xD

And not worried at all since this stuff happens every god damn year so its like whatever.

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > iPhone > Chit Chat