HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion > Cydia Support
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cydia Support For issues, discussion and support concerning Cydia.

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 05:01 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Has anyone even looked at Cydia lately? I looks like very user friendly to me. Not sure what people are talking about. And the person says that you can't add sources, i know you haven't looked at Cydia lately.

I think people don't like cydia because of all the weird developer things on there. Make it look very ugly cause you can't understand half of the junk that's up there. the majority of stuff that was up there to install was unintelligible to me. (probably cause i lack the intelligence to comprehend it all). But if regular apps started showing up i don't see any reason i would use it.

Am i missing something here?
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:04 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: 8GB iPhone 1.1.4 + JB
Operating System: OS X Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbuster View Post
Amen to that
And another amen from me...AM is leaps and bounds ahead of Apollo and MobileChat.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:05 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 2.0 (jailbroken, naturally) :]
Operating System: Vista!

@ cartman13:

you probably aren't missing anything, as it was a bit ignorant of me to assume things about cydia.

i dont tend to stay in my comfort zone when it comes to technology, i love exploring, but cydia just hasn't done it for me. it's clearly my fault, as i have yet to figure out how to use it correctly.

you, along with other posters, are absolutely right in focusing on the fact that we should be looking forward to the porting of the apps into 2.0 rather than the we're directed to them.

i can't wait until the community builds up again, on 2.0 :]
Old 07-20-2008, 05:20 PM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 2.0.2 (jailbroken)
Operating System: Windows XP & Vista

Not much to do to use Cydia correctly. Highlight an app, press install, just like Installer. ANy upgrades or changes to your installed apps will show up under "Changes" with an option to "upgrade". Uninstalling apps can be done under "Manage Apps".

Modding your iPhone is inherently dangerous. No tutorial can cover every nuance or issue you may encounter. There is no substitute for following instructions carefully, using various search functions here and elsewhere (GOOGLE). If you can't afford to brick it, proceed with great caution. Modding is at your own risk.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:34 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1st Gen 2.0
Operating System: mac os

I'm an idiot noob who can't get this pwnage to work on my pc, how did you do it? Can you help? I've got windows xp not a mac.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:38 PM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.0.1 pwnd (1.0.2 OTB)
Operating System: Mac OS 10.5.4

Exactly, really don't care whether it's Installer or Cydia since they are really just specialized app servers. The apps themselves are compiled against the iPhone frameworks and are quite independent of was what server apps hosts them (i.e. doesn't matter if it's hosted by Installer or Cydia it's still the same app). In one year of owning an iPhone I have found only a 2 or 3 toolchain built apps that I frequently use. I'm finding the App Store a much better alternative to both especially since the quality of the apps are much higher and the sh**y ones will get pushed to the side by the review process. Oh, and really I don't mind paying if the app is worth having.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:40 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 2.0 (jailbroken, naturally) :]
Operating System: Vista!

vicdev, pwnage won't work on a pc. i used Jailbreaking your iPhone 3G on Windows - Apple iPhone - Mobile Phones - Whirlpool Broadband Forums which requires no pwnage...
The Following User Says Thank You to f3nd3rmus1c For This Useful Post:
Tizocman (07-20-2008)
Old 07-20-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdev View Post
I'm an idiot noob who can't get this pwnage to work on my pc, how did you do it? Can you help? I've got windows xp not a mac.
Yes... and also one who posts to the wrong thread. If you do even a bit of reading (like on the MMi front page) you'll realize that pwnage tool for Windows is not available for 2.0 firmware yet. You can download a pwnage customized firmware and use iTunes 7.7 to install it. But first you need to do the following:

1. do 1-2 days of reading/research before you post
2. only post to relevant threads
3. when you do post be more specific. Is it an iPhone or iPod Touch? Is your phone the original or 3G phone?

Last edited by imode; 07-20-2008 at 05:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to imode For This Useful Post:
Tizocman (07-20-2008)
Old 07-20-2008, 05:42 PM
What's Jailbreak?

I just can't wait for more apps..until then I don't see the point in jailbreaking.
Especially since the PC method is more time consuming.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:42 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Complaining about the looks of Cydia is like criticizing your grandmother for sending you a birthday check in a card that was pink. Get over it, you still got the money.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:47 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: 16gb White iPhone 3G
Operating System: Mac/Vista

with cydia you CANNOT add sources....end of discussion
Old 07-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Green Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothi View Post
Why? I'd love to see a well thought out "top 5 reasons" as to why Installer is even neccessary on 2.0
Cydia is everthing Installer is and more and already works on 2.0 so why the desire to have Installer on 2.0? Your 1.1.4 apps won't work just because Installer is on there...
1. competion is healthy. If there were two choices, there would more desire on each side to make theirs the best.

2. Cydia is new to most end users who are not developers.

3. Until recently, developers never even considered using Cydia for the apps most end users want.

4. I don't know how well Cydia can control sources. I do know about Installer.

5. Cydia is looking more like installer. Hmmm?

Okay, that's my top 5 on why Installer should even be necessary. You don't have to buy into it if you don't like it. I understand that the apps people are crying about won't work on 2.0 regardless of the choice.

Is Cydia more stable as some say? I don't know. I know Installer has historically been very stable for me. Will it still be stable when a million noobs are pushing buttons wanting something for nothing? Remember pwn 2.0 was supposed to be Granny Simple. Knowledge is power and most Cydia users to date knew what they were doing.

I don't think it is fair to compare the future of Cydia versus the present Installer. Sure Cydia has plans for the future. So does Installer.

Will Cydia still be attractive to developers if it's cluttered with ants and lights and other useless time waster we love so much.?

Wouldn't it be better to promote Cydia and encourage usage rather than trash installer?

Sorry if this post has too much thought into it.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:01 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Another vote for Installer. It never worked for me before and after upgrading to 2.0 now I've realized that I should have waited for Installer.

The entire process of installing / unlocking 2.0 went smoothly until I started running Cydia. It locked up the phone twice and hung several times within 20 minutes of usage.

I think Saurik hurried it to capture the lost market that it can't win if Null River releases a stable version of Installer before most common apps are ported.

Edit: Meant Installer, not Cydia.

Last edited by rexian; 07-20-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexian View Post
Another vote for Cydia. It never worked for me before and after upgrading to 2.0 now I've realized that I should have waited for Installer.

The entire process of installing / unlocking 2.0 went smoothly until I started running Cydia. It locked up the phone several times and hung the phone twice within 20 minutes of usage.

I think Saurik hurried it to capture the lost market that it can't win if Null River releases a stable version of Installer before most common apps are ported.
I agree, stability has been an issue that's starting to piss me off. Three times already I've had to ssh into my phone and bounce springboard or issue a reboot command (yes I know holding home/power buttons will hard reboot but I like doing it the hard way ) I assume it's related to the cydia servers getting pegged and other random timeouts but I need to use my phone...

Last edited by imode; 07-20-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:11 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
I love Cydia too. In fact the only reason I also kept installer is because some of the apps I like still are not hosted on Cydia. The last time I restored my phone I used Cydia to move my apps (does so automatically) and installed as many of the third party apps as I could from it. The rest from Installer. More and more apps have been made available on Cydia since the first time I looked at it. I agree that it would be very nice to be able to add and edit sources on Cydia but I imagine that will eventually come.

I happen to prefer the UI of Cydia. As far as appearance, not much difference between the two.

Not only id PF right about people just wanting apps, I also think people get comfortable with doing things a certain way. Installer was first, we all got used to it. The first time I installed Cydia, I did so mainly to have it install a more stable BSD Subsystem and move my apps. There weren't many apps that I personally used available on its repos. I was forced to restore my phone about a week ago and just about everything I wanted was available on Cydia. Once the devs port the apps to 2.0 this will not be much of an issue.

I remember when firmware went to 1.1.3 and we had all the app issues some of us were able to get the apps working by SSH'ing the permissions or figuring out that things were in /mobile/Library as opposed to /root/Library. The packages on Installer and Cydia were eventually upgraded for the most part.

If someone like me can figure it out, so can the rest of you.

FWIW, I havent upgraded to 2.0 or bought a 3G yet for the main reason my 1.1.4 is tweaked to perfection and I am waiting for apps to be either tweakable or available in working condition installation. Frankly, what I am waiting for is Customize and or Summerboard. I know a 2.0 compatible Customize is being worked on however, to be honest, if I have some time I just may do the upgrade to 2.0 and see if I can find the png locaitons and manually install my skins and see if I can tweak any of my old apps to work.

Complaining is not productive. If you cannot control something learn to live with it, if you can control something, do something to fix it.
You r the man!!!

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion > Cydia Support