HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion SDK questions. A place for iPhone developers to post code snippets, discuss creating iPhone apps, and any other iPhone developing.

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 AM
Developer

objective-c with remote MySQL server

Hi,
anyone has any idea how i can use objective-c to connect to a remote mysql server?
it can be either direct or indirect through a script...
i want to make an app that sync with a remote mysql database... but i dunno where to start looking
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:40 AM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeInMyPantz View Post
Hi,
anyone has any idea how i can use objective-c to connect to a remote mysql server?
it can be either direct or indirect through a script...
i want to make an app that sync with a remote mysql database... but i dunno where to start looking
Do the libraries that allow Notes to save to local SQL not allow remote? Not sure what they are, but you could probably browse framework headers on Erica Sadun's site and track it down.
If not, surely there is some sort of SQL stuff available in C/C++/ObjC.

If not, you might want to look into Java via JamVM, on Jay Freeman's repository. I believe it has an SQL library available for it.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Developer

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.3
Operating System: Windows XP / OS X

The iPhone's built-in SQL is sqlite, not MySQL.

Sqlite is a local embedded SQL that doesn't use a separate engine process.

You will need a MySQL client library conpiled for the iPhone to link against.

Last edited by NetMage; 01-27-2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: iPhone typo
Old 07-07-2008, 12:37 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone
hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMage View Post
The iPhone's built-in SQL is sqlite, not MySQL.

Sqlite is a local embedded SQL that doesn't use a separate engine process.

You will need a MySQL client library conpiled for the iPhone to link against.
Instead of it being a library wouldent it be called a framework?
Because I have found a cocoa mysql framework but right now I can't get it to work when compiling to an iPhone app.
Or am I completley mistaken?

G
Old 07-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Developer

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.3
Operating System: Windows XP / OS X

The fourth time I have tried to post this *sigh* isn't the Internet wonderful...

Binary (even universal binaries) for OS X are not compatible with the iPhone. You will need to get the source for the MySQL client library and compile it yourself.

Unfortunately, MySQL doesn't appear to support a Cygwin port so that may make compiling with the toolchain difficult. Even more unfortunately, the source for the client is not cleanly separated from the server, but if you are using the SDK, compiling for OS X would probably give you a good starting point.

Here is an article that may help:
MySQL on Mac OS X
Old 07-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Livin the iPhone Life

Device + Firmware: iPhone/8gb/1.1.4
Operating System: OS X Leopard
Send a message via Skype? to JedixJarf

Can you just make a remote sqllite database to query?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:24 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone
hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMage View Post
The fourth time I have tried to post this *sigh* isn't the Internet wonderful...

Binary (even universal binaries) for OS X are not compatible with the iPhone. You will need to get the source for the MySQL client library and compile it yourself.

Unfortunately, MySQL doesn't appear to support a Cygwin port so that may make compiling with the toolchain difficult. Even more unfortunately, the source for the client is not cleanly separated from the server, but if you are using the SDK, compiling for OS X would probably give you a good starting point.

Here is an article that may help:
MySQL on Mac OS X

I have found source for a Cocoa MySQL framework/library. It compiles correctly, but when the iPhone simulator tries to run it, it completely crashes and needs to send a report. I have already sent an email to support, but they don't exists.

So what about this as a starting point, if you download it look for a framework called MCPKit_bundled.framework. That is the one you need.

SourceForge.net: Downloading ...

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion