HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > IPOD TOUCH > IPOD TOUCH | Jailbreak / Upgrade / Downgrade / Restore
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

IPOD TOUCH | Jailbreak / Upgrade / Downgrade / Restore Any jailbreaking or firmware changing for the iPod Touch are discussed here.

MMi Super Contest | 30 winners! Over $1500 in Prizes! Enter Today!

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 09:34 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPod Touch 16GB 2.0.2 (5C1)
Operating System: OS X 10.4.11 (Hackintosh)
QwickPwn on OSX - iTouch to 2.0.2 via Virtual Box

G'day all,

Just a shortish note to say it *can* be done ... here's my quick pwn story

Hackintosh (that's another story ) - P4 @ 2.79GHz 2GB - OS X 10.4.11
iPod Touch 16GB - was pwned to 2.0.1 via PwnageTool.

1) In OS X - update your iTouch to 2.0.2 via iTunes - this step scared the shizzle out of me - some instructions were 'ambigious', so let me make it plain: USE ITUNES TO UPDATE YOUR ITOUCH TO 2.0.2

Yes, you'll lose all your non-'App Store' apps. Cope. Download them again once you've finished.

It's a relatively quick and painless procedure otherwise, and you won't lose your music, mail or contacts.
1.1) Once you've finished, unplug the phone & quit iTunes.

1.2) Locate the ipsw file that iTunes downloaded to update your iTouch (in my case "/Users/<your_login_name>/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates/iPod1,1_2.0.2SC1_Restore.ipsw"). Copy to a convenient location e.g.: Desktop.
2) Download Sun's 'Virtual Box' : VirtualBox. Similar to Parallels or VMWare, but free ...

3) Install VBox, then install OS (I used WinXP - YMMV). I had this setup ages ago ... Boot it and update (to be as safe as you can be in Windows ...). Configure so that your home folder is a shared folder (RTFM).

4) Open IE (or install FF for XP), then download & install QuickPwn from the freaking generous geniuses at blog.iphone-dev.org - bow and pay homage to them and all that put the package together (props to poorlad) ... Expand the zipped file.

5) Run QuickPwn. If you get an error "application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)", follow the directions on this site: QuickPwn GUI Released [Windows].

6) To jailbreak, follow the directions at [How-To] Upgrade to 2.0.2 for Macuser with VMWare Fusion.

7) Remember to kill iTunesHelper via Activity Monitor in OSX - and make sure VBox is connecting to your iTouch via USB (keep checking the menu - reactivate it when the device goes from normal mode to DFU mode to Restore mode).

8) It's hair-raising, and took numerous goes - but it can be done (to quote DNA: "DON'T PANIC"!. Had to give it a go 3 times - and had a scary black screen for ages. It got better.

10) After jailbreak - download your stuff via Cydia (Installer works, but still in beta ... I'm not feelin' the love for it yet).

Thank you to all who have done the hard work - I'm no 'hacker', or programmer by any means,
but I stand on the shoulders of giants!
Good luck,

iMikeyMike

Last edited by iMikeyMike; 08-24-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Fix typo - anally retentive ...
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:42 AM
iPhoneaholic

Device + Firmware: 8gb 1.1.4/4.6bl PWNAGE
Operating System: PPC iMac G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeyMike View Post

Hackintosh (that's another story )

PLEASE!!!!!!!!

tell me that story.

i think my only problem is the video card i am running.

its an old nvidia

anywho,

install goes fine (tried kalyway and jas multiple different ones)
restart
shows apple with grey loading screen
then screen goes black and it says i need to restart.

lastly i am using a ps2 mouse and keyboard
maybe they should be usb?

or would you say its the vid card?

sorry to hijack your post.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:15 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Get a compatible video card ... I used an ATI 9600
Try uphuck - install 10.4.9., then carefully update to 10.4.11 ...
Do your research at OSx86 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, InsanelyMac and Main Page - OSx86.

Good luck, and let us now return to the iPhone ... although my original post now seems to be somewhat redundant as the "iphone-dev team" have released a Pwnage tool for the Mac (be aware that some are having problems with their iTouches ... my advice is to wait for a fix - although the method above has worked for me - with no adverse password side effects ...

iMikeyMike

Last edited by iMikeyMike; 08-26-2008 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Unmergeing Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-26-2008, 08:19 PM
iPhoneaholic

Device + Firmware: 8gb 1.1.4/4.6bl PWNAGE
Operating System: PPC iMac G5

ok, instead of hijacking your thread, which, lets be honest, has gotten 1 reply (me) in 2 days, i will private message you.

damn, now i bet you aren't gonna help me!
lol
Old 08-27-2008, 02:21 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Didn't expect a reply - didn't ask a question!

Just shared my experience ... I'm happy with 300 or so views .

Read and answered your PM as best I could ... good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to iMikeyMike For This Useful Post:
tattoojack (08-28-2008)

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > IPOD TOUCH > IPOD TOUCH | Jailbreak / Upgrade / Downgrade / Restore