HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Go Back   ModMyiFone.com | iPhone forums, iPhone hacks, iPhone unlock > IPHONE > Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading This forum is for jailbreaking, downgrading and upgrading your firmware, and restoring your firmware.

iPhone Optimized MMi | Browser Optimized MMi

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

Opportunities at MMi | 1.1.4 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 08:47 AM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: iPhone┃1.1.4┃Fido & Maxis
Operating System: OSX 10.4.11

So what does this all mean for someone like me who has a week 35 iPhone with 3.9BL originally and has used ZiPhone v2.5 to unlock? How am I and thousands of others like me affected and what does this mean in terms of future updates?

cheers,
e
Old 03-12-2008, 08:49 AM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4 - unlocked
Operating System: Mac OSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashx View Post
holy **** what a stupid discussion. ziphone is a good piece of software but ****... stop being a fanboy Eurisko. iPlus is a much better option right now because after using it it lets you upgrade to 4.6 or GeoMod or whatever comes in the future. Its better because, IT GIVES YOU MORE OPTIONS AND FREEDOME. Especially in this community where so many new things are released and nobody knows whether BL 3.9 will keep being the best choice, so having all options you can have is the way to go.

Its a shame that you spread false information, especially since you are a Mod and since that makes you an authority. People take your word and your putting down "you have only two posts" more serious and believe the ******** you say.

crashx
Being a Mod doesn't make me an authority, it makes me a Mod. I don't claim to be an authority on the development aspect of the iPhone; like I stated before I relay what I've seen. And as you can plainly see, no one in this thread takes my word.

As for your personal attacks saying I spread false information and calling me a "fanboy", that is unwarranted. I'm not a "fanboy" of any product, I use what works. And if I find something better I'll switch to that. You guys think because you're Developers, that makes you some sort of clubhouse elite, and I think it goes to your heads. I have more positive issues to occupy my time, so I'll leave you to it. Thanks for you comments though.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 AM

O_o
Old 03-12-2008, 08:54 AM
DRP Dev Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
Being a Mod doesn't make me an authority, it makes me a Mod. I don't claim to be an authority on the development aspect of the iPhone; like I stated before I relay what I've seen. And as you can plainly see, no one in this thread takes my word.

As for your personal attacks saying I spread false information and calling me a "fanboy", that is unwarranted. I'm not a "fanboy" of any product, I use what works. And if I find something better I'll switch to that. You guys think because you're Developers, that makes you some sort of clubhouse elite, and I think it goes to your heads. I have more positive issues to occupy my time, so I'll leave you to it. Thanks for you comments though.
I didnt say you claim authority, but people SEE you as an authority. Usually people think Mods know wtf they are talking about it - this is how it should be.

crashx
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 09:17 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
When you jailbreak a phone, your warranty is void, we all know it. So trying to take it back to Apple is just as "morally suspect" as geeb's hearsay comment about Zibri and Pumpkin.

So you guys go on with your debate without me, you'll be happy to hear that. All I go by is what I see, do and experience. Not by what I'm told, which to say the least is extremely conflicted. I'll continue to use Ziphone as it has never caused me any problems.
What I say is based on experience and what I know from years of experience with computers and hacking. I'm not just repeating what I heard.

Yes, ziphone may have not caused you problems, but it's not an assurance that it's safe and will not be a problem in the future.

Take a look at two examples we have with the iPhone:

1-IPSF. Those that paid for IPSF will never be able to restore their seczones back. Soon will come a situation where those phones will not work. Right now, IPSFed phones need the "signal" app or script to reunlock the phone on every boot. Why, because Apple relocks it when they find the IPSF seczone hack

2-First HW and SW unlocks. When 1.1.1 came, the way the first phones where unlocked caused upgraded phones to go in a brick state. Took GeoHot quite sometime to come out with the "revirginizing" process to enable those phones to return to their pristine state. What if he or someone else could not find a way out of it? Those phones would be stuck at 1.0.2 or bricked at 1.1.1.

Experience in the "cat and mouse" game calls for one thing: REVERSIBILITY.

If you are comfortable with the fact that ziphone downgrade is not reversible by software at this time, fine. It's a PERSONAL CHOICE.

But, you must at least agree that others must know that they are giving up something when they use ziphone.

I respect positions like "yeah I know that it's irreversible at this time and may not be in the future, but I do not think it will ever matter and ziphone does a great job in my opinion and I will stick with it". Fine that's responsible.

But bluntly stating that it's good and there is no problems with that is not what I would expect from someone with a forum "moderator" status.

Enough said, it's all about facts and personal choice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aviegas For This Useful Post:
francis (03-12-2008), tntmorgan (03-14-2008)
Old 03-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Green Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
So what does this all mean for someone like me who has a week 35 iPhone with 3.9BL originally and has used ZiPhone v2.5 to unlock? How am I and thousands of others like me affected and what does this mean in terms of future updates?

cheers,
e
If your phone had originally a 3.9BL, the BL was not touched by ZiPhone 2.5.

Up to now Apple has never updated the bootloader when you Update/Restore a phone using iTunes.

One should expect that Apple will continue to support 3.9 BL in future firmware updates or it will upgrade the bootloader if required.

Until a software solution is found to upgrade a 3.9 OTB BL, your are stuck with it (or you can open the phone and use the testpoint ...)

You will be affected only IF in the future a smarter bootloader is developed and becomes a better choice to unlock phones.

Last edited by Eurisko : 03-12-2008 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Personal sarcasm removed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buzios For This Useful Post:
ASar08 (03-12-2008), tntmorgan (03-17-2008)
Old 03-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4, City Fido Unlimited
Operating System: Windows XP Pro

Well this post has certainly got me a little bit concerned. I didn't realize that ZiPhone did irreversible stuff to the phone.

To repeat echo's question: I have a week 30 phone. What does this mean for me?

EDIT: Nevermind, thanks Buzios.

Last edited by ASar08 : 03-12-2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Question answered.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:29 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASar08 View Post
Well this post has certainly got me a little bit concerned. I didn't realize that ZiPhone did irreversible stuff to the phone.

To repeat echo's question: I have a week 30 phone. What does this mean for me?
See, this is what I mean. People use it and do not realize it's taking them to a state that is not the best at this time.

For you, with a week 30 phone, it does not matter at all. You phone already came with bootloader 3.9.

So to help others:

Phones up to week 45 have bootloader 3.9 and will stay like that.

Phone week 45+ will have 4.6: some have hw downgraded to 3.9, some have sw downgraded to 3.9, some have been sw downgraded by ziphone to 3.9 (and the owners do not know or do not realize what it means).

All phones at the 3.9 level will only change their bootloaders if:

- a hw based (testpoint) approach is used
- Apple decides to release a real bootloader upgrade

If in the future a unlock requires a bootloader hack, 3.9 users will be stuck.

On the other hand, those with 3.9FB or 4.6 will be ok.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:45 AM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4 - unlocked
Operating System: Mac OSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviegas View Post
But bluntly stating that it's good and there is no problems with that is not what I would expect from someone with a forum "moderator" status.
Again with the personal attacks. Let's go back to the original reason this thread was created, buzios "bluntly states" that Ziphone gives "no warning" to people and does the bootloader downgrade automatically "without tellling them". Yet when I run ZiPhone, this is the information window I get:

"This button will jailbreak, activate and unlock your phone. It will also downgrade the bootloader if it's v4.6. If you bought a new iPhone and want it to be completely independent of any operators, use this button."

So if someone continues to use this option under Ziphone it is a fully informed "Personal Choice".
Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 AM
DRP Dev Team

Absolutely not! You are in dire need of some therapy if you feel that that information window is adequate (and don't you dare edit my post you imbecile). What aviegas has said is correct, and I cannot see why, besides having a resounding sense of regret on your part that is leading you to making retarded comments on public forums, you would think otherwise.

Let me put it to you this way Euidiot, you cannot weasel yourself out of your earlier comments by attempting to focus on your newest follies, let me summarize:

1) you blatantly asserted that ziphone is wonderful and is made of rainbows and can't hurt your iPhone etc.
2) you then went on to argue about the virtues of informed consent

Ok moron, if zicrap was so wonderful, why on earth would we need informed consent? get back to the original point, you made a moronic statement about how wonderful ziphone is. aviegas attempted, politely, to explain why the fakeblank process is not only superior in terms of method, but also safer in the long run.

Bite me.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Owner / Founder - ModMyiFone

Device + Firmware: iPhone | 1.1.2 | 1.1.3
Operating System: OS X | XP | Sabayon
Thanked 8,477 Times in 242 Posts
Send a message via AIM to cash7c3 Send a message via MSN to cash7c3 Send a message via Yahoo to cash7c3

so this thread has covered everything that needs to be covered, even if it has been done in a er, less than civil manner involving all parties.

Welcome to the end of this thread.

ModMyiFone.com | iPhone forums, iPhone hacks, iPhone unlock > IPHONE > Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading