HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Go Back   ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch forums, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion Discussion regarding Native iPhone and iPod Touch apps.

iPhone Optimized MMi | Browser Optimized MMi

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

Opportunities at MMi | 1.1.4 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Win | $199 3G iPhone Releasing July 11

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 01:56 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Free calling to any US Phone from Your iPhone (PC/Smartphones/N8X0 too)

This method REQUIRES a WiFi connection!!!

Thanks goes to Unique311 at internettablettalk for first showing me how to do this on the Nokia N800/N810 Internet Tablets. I’m sure others came before him on the PC method. What’s new is it now works on the iPhone.

You need 3 accounts:

1) grandcentral at GrandCentral: The New Way to Use Your Phones
2) gizmo at Gizmo5 - Make free internet calls from your mobile phone and computer
3) Fring on your iPhone fring – Make free mobile calls, IM with Skype, MSN Messenger, ICQ, Google Talk™, SIP & Twitter, AIM® & Yahoo!™

Watch gigafied’s video to get started:

YouTube - Hack: Get Free Inbound Calls

You don’t need to install Gizmo if you’re using just the iPhone. But free calling from the PC will require the softphone of Gizmo.

The extra step Unique311 shows is adding the gizmo number to each contact in grandcentral. For the iPhone, watch up to 1:32. By the way, you have to enter contacts that you want to call on your iPhone in grandcentral on your PC, and unfortunately that’s still a manual process. Here's Unique311's video:

YouTube - making free calls......OK?

Now...install Fring. Instructions here:

iphone installation process

Once you get Fring installed

Open Fring.
Tap “Communities”
Tap SIP
Enter your Gizmo username and password
Enter Proxy as: proxy01.sipphone.com

I then tap on the “Dialer”

Leave that open (Don't "Exit") and click the “Home” button to go back to the Springboard.

Open Safari.

Go to www.grandcentral.com/mobile

Click “Contacts.”
Click a contact.

Click the word “call” next to the phone number. Fring will pop up and ask you to Accept or Decline. Click Accept and your free call is placed. (If you accidentally click the phone number, a black/gray screen pops up with the number and you can Cancel or Call. Cancel this. This is placing your call over the cell/mobile providers network = not free.)

It sounds complicated, but once you get setup and grandcentral bookmarked – it only takes a few seconds to make a call.

Fring is Beta, but it worked well on my one-hour free call from Berlin, Germany to Minnesota last night.

Cheers.

PS: Use the Gizmo softphone (just leave it open when calling from grandcentral) for free PC calls and similar VOIP phones on Windows Mobile and the Nokia Internet Tablets.

Not sure if grandcentral is still invite only, but can we not have a bunch of people begging for invites. Thanks.

Last edited by dlhuss : 05-19-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Green Apple

USA only, i think ? (grandcentral)
Old 05-19-2008, 03:30 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocchiararo View Post
USA only, i think ? (grandcentral)
Correct. They limit your registration based on your location. It's also sketchy when they allow new users. Currently they aren't accepting new users, so I'm told. (I'm actually in Germany, so I can't really check.)

But once you're registered, you can log in and use it from anywhere.

Last edited by dlhuss : 05-19-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:36 AM
What's Jailbreak?

I am surprised this is not getting more attention here. Anyways, i was having major problem with this. Did everything the instructions say to do and it doesn't work. Apparently, the key is when in safari, when you first log in, specify the mobile number as your gizmo number. however, on my iphone safari, this setting doesn't stick. as soon as i navigate somewhere on the gc mobile site, the mobile setting is lost. ie if i go to contacts and then back to settings, the mobile number is "blank". The strange thing is that I tried this with a different iphone and it works fine. Both phone have 1.1.14 and jailborken and unlocked the same way...iplus 2.0b. Under safari settings, both are at default settings which include accept cookies from visited sites. Defective iphone? Why is one safari losing its settings and not the other?

FOUND MY SOLUTION:

iPhone: Firmware 1.1.4 - Mobile Safari - Login/Password won’t save - Cookie Permission Issue - stevienova.com

Last edited by superflysocal : 05-23-2008 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch forums, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion