HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Go Back   Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion Discussion regarding Native iPhone and iPod Touch apps.

iPhone Optimized MMi | Browser Optimized MMi | Work Opportunities at MMi - updated 7/16/08

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

3G iPhone Local Launch Parties | 1.1.4 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Win | $199 3G iPhone Releasing July 11

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 05:55 AM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: 16GB iPhone 1.1.4 OTB
Operating System: Windows XP Home

to kcrmson,

nope not at all... after that major breakdown of my iphone, i went to restore (sadly losing 3 pages of apps!!)... and installed cydia this time via iLiberty+'s payload... everything done but I know one day in the future i may need to move stuffs again and I do not want to be installing boss tool. I don't know how cydia moves the stuffs is it by automatic or manually?

Bosstool actually made me doubt about me using Boss Prefs now I use it to switch EDGE off thought it's working well but now I doubt the reliability...
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:01 AM
My iPhone is a Part of Me

Device + Firmware: 8GB iPhone - 1.1.4
Operating System: OS X 10.5.3 | Win XP
Send a message via MSN to MattMac Send a message via Yahoo to MattMac Send a message via Skype? to MattMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresoft View Post
it's all back to normal WITHOUT that boss tool now of course. Installed Cydia apparently it helps you sort all that font and ringtones stuff out automatically anyway...
Ok, for those interested:
Cydia moves apps and fonts safely on 1.1.3/4

I would suggest installing Cydia if your running out of space. It's a great program too. You can use Installer without clashes as long as you install Fake BSD Sub System.

I have been using this for ages, and works like a charm. I would GREATLY suggest installing this.

DO NO USE BOSSTOOL

I hope this help some people and prevents further upsets where BossTool mess up your phone.

Hopefully RiP-Dev and Nullriver will take some hints from Cydia and integrate this feature into Installer along with the repaired version of the BSD that Cydia delivers.

Cydia Source: apptap.saurik.com

Thanks button there  Search at the topDonation here xD

Last edited by MattMac : 05-23-2008 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4 OTB, JB'd by iLibertyX 1.51
Operating System: OS X 10.5.3 PPC

Like MattMac said, Cydia relocates the apps. It does this automatically while it's being installed, even says it above the progress bar at the bottom of the Installer screen.

I haven't been a big fan of Cydia mainly because of its particular way of moving/symlinking things. I relocate mine myself per restore (and get a few others for older Customize and Summerboard themes that try to install to root instead of mobile) but I honestly haven't HAD to restore in a good few months. Last couple restores were due to me messing with Customize 2.0, not liking it overall and not being able to get certain icons/graphics back so I'd restore and use the older Customize (see some of my other posts, I have that version attached to one with instructions on how to get it working).
Old 05-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Green Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMac View Post
Ok, for those interested:
Cydia moves apps and fonts safely on 1.1.3/4

I would suggest installing Cydia if your running out of space. It's a great program too. You can use Installer without clashes as long as you install Fake BSD Sub System.

I have been using this for ages, and works like a charm. I would GREATLY suggest installing this.

DO NO USE BOSSTOOL

I hope this help some people and prevents further upsets where BossTool mess up your phone.

Hopefully RiP-Dev and Nullriver will take some hints from Cydia and integrate this feature into Installer along with the repaired version of the BSD that Cydia delivers.

So you mean the Cydia automatically moves whatever I install from the Installer.app to an appropriate place in order to save space? I do have Boss Prefs running but according to it, my disc space is running less and less each time I install why is that?
Old 05-23-2008, 05:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to MattMac Send a message via Yahoo to MattMac Send a message via Skype? to MattMac

Quote:
So you mean the Cydia automatically moves whatever I install from the Installer.app to an appropriate place in order to save space? I do have Boss Prefs running but according to it, my disc space is running less and less each time I install why is that?
No. Uninstall BossTool. Then add Cydia's source, as per my post. Install Cyida found in the System category.

It will move any app you already have installed and and app you install via Cydia, Installer, or even manually install will automatically be on the second partition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrmson View Post
Like MattMac said, Cydia relocates the apps. It does this automatically while it's being installed, even says it above the progress bar at the bottom of the Installer screen.

I haven't been a big fan of Cydia mainly because of its particular way of moving/symlinking things. I relocate mine myself per restore (and get a few others for older Customize and Summerboard themes that try to install to root instead of mobile) but I honestly haven't HAD to restore in a good few months. Last couple restores were due to me messing with Customize 2.0, not liking it overall and not being able to get certain icons/graphics back so I'd restore and use the older Customize (see some of my other posts, I have that version attached to one with instructions on how to get it working).
You must use symlink for the apps to still work... Do you move them to a different directory then the /var/stash?

Last edited by MattMac : 05-23-2008 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Green Apple

What I meant is that I don't like some of the extra symlinks Cydia does (sure, we can just remove them, but read on) as well as some of the things it doesn't hit. For example, I symlink root's Media directory to mobile's, saves me a lot of headache with older apps that try to install to root or just /private/var.

That includes the DockSwap directory in /private/var/root/Library being symlinked to the proper spot in mobile's Library. Something about knowing exactly what's been done is more settling for me.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:29 PM

Yeah, yeah. I get you.
I have trouble grasping the whole symlink thing..
Confuses me. But I'm sure if I looked into it I would understand. I'm happy using Cydia for now.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:08 AM
Green Apple

Think of symlinks as the Darwin/Unix equivalent to aliases in OS X, shortcuts in Windows. I just catch a few extra places that older apps might install to just to prevent annoyance later, though my restores have been few and far between in the last few months.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrmson View Post
Think of symlinks as the Darwin/Unix equivalent to aliases in OS X, shortcuts in Windows. I just catch a few extra places that older apps might install to just to prevent annoyance later, though my restores have been few and far between in the last few months.
Yeah, yeah i know all that...
I just confused on how I do them...
Like do I have to have the two folders made to link them... Just confuses me, the process making them...

Old 05-24-2008, 05:58 AM
Green Apple

boss tools worked like a charm for me, it freed 132mb out 300mb and it never went below that even after the numerous amount of installed apps about 6 pages worth.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Green Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMac View Post
No. Uninstall BossTool. Then add Cydia's source, as per my post. Install Cyida found in the System category.

It will move any app you already have installed and and app you install via Cydia, Installer, or even manually install will automatically be on the second partition.

You must use symlink for the apps to still work... Do you move them to a different directory then the /var/stash?

Hi, I had installed BossTool earlier which screwed my phone up hence this post exist and I have restored my phone and have not since downloaded BossTool. However i am using Boss Prefs to disable EDGE. Anyway, I am just wondering if Cydia frees my space automatically whenever I install new apps from Installer and Cydia? Would appreciate if I could get a clear answer to this...

Oh another thing is, I have recently opened up Cydia and it said my version was awfully old (LOL) and I needed to update or something so I did... when it was refreshing it said downloading packages etc and it came out this Package error - Sub process bzip2 returned an error code (2) and i had to press Okay... and it turned out to be i have 41 upgrades waiting for me to upgrade. MY question is, what is that error about and shall I upgrade the 41 packages?

PS: my Cydia.app was from the iLiberty+ payload, not from installer source...
Old 05-25-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Hi, I had installed BossTool earlier which screwed my phone up hence this post exist and I have restored my phone and have not since downloaded BossTool. However i am using Boss Prefs to disable EDGE. Anyway, I am just wondering if Cydia frees my space automatically whenever I install new apps from Installer and Cydia? Would appreciate if I could get a clear answer to this...

Oh another thing is, I have recently opened up Cydia and it said my version was awfully old (LOL) and I needed to update or something so I did... when it was refreshing it said downloading packages etc and it came out this Package error - Sub process bzip2 returned an error code (2) and i had to press Okay... and it turned out to be i have 41 upgrades waiting for me to upgrade. MY question is, what is that error about and shall I upgrade the 41 packages?

PS: my Cydia.app was from the iLiberty+ payload, not from installer source...
Yes, Cydia automatically puts the new apps you download from either Cydia or Installer onto the second drive, hence you won't run out of space unless you have alot of music or videos.
I said that somewhere above, but I hope that's clearer.

Next time you restore, dont use iLiberty to install Cydia, I would suggest installing it straight form Saurik's source (apptapp.saurik.com) because it will be the most up to date version. Less hassle then...

But for now ignore the error and just run the 41 updates. It's best to get them done and out of the way. Then that should also eliminate the error your getting.

Hope it's helped

The Following User Says Thank You to MattMac For This Useful Post:
squaresoft (05-26-2008)
Old 05-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Green Apple

have posted a thanks to you. But i went to check my disk space using Boss Prefs, it still says 58MB free of 300MB, it's been decreasing since I last restored and installed new apps I don't know why. I have updated everything needed in Cydia...
Old 05-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Green Apple

Guys

DO NOT use bosstools on 1.1.3 and 1.1.4

With reference to
Free up space for apps on 1.1.4?

Execute these commands in vTerm or Putty. I used Terminal on my Mac

cp -Rp /Library/Ringtones /private/var/mobile/Library/
mv /Library/Ringtones /Library/Ringtones.old
ln -s /private/var/mobile/Library/Ringtones /Library/Ringtones
rm -rf /Library/Ringtones.old

That'll relocate the Ringtones.

cp -Rp /System/Library/Fonts /private/var/mobile/Library/
mv /System/Library/Fonts /System/Library/Fonts.old
ln -s /private/var/mobile/Library/Fonts /System/Library/Fonts
rm -rf /System/Library/Fonts.old

That'll relocate the Fonts and free up much space on the small partition.

cp -Rp /Applications /private/var/mobile/
mv /Applications /Applications.old
ln -s /private/var/mobile/Applications /Applications
ln -s /private/var/mobile/Applications /private/var/root/
rm -rf /Applications.old

That'll relocate the Applications and symlink both possible places it could be looked for at.

Worked like a charm. Please thank Kcrmson for this
Old 05-26-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
have posted a thanks to you. But i went to check my disk space using Boss Prefs, it still says 58MB free of 300MB, it's been decreasing since I last restored and installed new apps I don't know why. I have updated everything needed in Cydia...
Maybe it has something to do with the iLiberty payload. I suggest restoring your iPhone and once done, go to Installer and add this source: apptapp.saurik.com

The go to the system category and select Cydia Installer. Hit install and wait for it to finish, then tap "Fake BSD Subsystem" and install that too.

And you should be right to go. I have never had any problems using this method.

Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion