HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Go Back   ModMyiFone.com | iPhone forums, iPhone hacks, iPhone unlock > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion Discussion regarding Native iPhone and iPod Touch apps.

iPhone Optimized MMi | Browser Optimized MMi

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

Opportunities at MMi | 1.1.4 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Developer

SMSD issues/suggestions

Hello,

I will be tracking this thread for issues/suggestions regarding SMSD. Please post in this thread anything related to SMSD. Your feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Amrut!
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rumple For This Useful Post:
goku2409 (02-28-2008), grado33 (12-29-2007), nnoel (02-06-2008), theone77 (01-23-2008), vikasmal (12-24-2007)
Old 12-22-2007, 02:38 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Hesitant to Install

The character counting functionality and the ability to send all contact details (like my address) make this a very attractive application (and those are features not found in WeTool). Thank you for putting your energy into writing this.

I am, however, hesitant to install it, because I don't like the idea of adding another daemon to the iPhone. I am wondering whether the notification daemon will use up a meaningful amount of resources / make the iphone less reliable / burn through the battery faster.

Since I don't feel much need to have the mobileSMS notifcation and the SMSd notifcation, it would be great to have an option to run SMSd without using the notification daemon.

So, I guess this is a feature request - unless there is some way that I could do it with the current version - SMSd without notification (or any background daemon).

Thank you again for your contribution to this great community of iPhone users and developers.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:31 PM
What's Jailbreak?

This I find quite strange..
Installed 0.09 and put SMSDNotifier and com.amrut.iphone.SMSD files on the right place.
I didn't still load com.amrut.iphone.SMSD with UICtl because I thought it was working great without the notifier.

BUT all the sudden, after a few days of running 0.09 the notifies starts working?!

How is that possible :/

Still a great app!

And still think the Char count could be in the Navbar instead of title 'Message' with this layout:
123 / 1
162 / 2

what do you think? Coudn't be that hard to implement..
The Following User Says Thank You to zebabez For This Useful Post:
Alik1970 (05-24-2008)
Old 12-22-2007, 11:32 PM
What's Jailbreak?

my only complaint about the program is that when you click on a msg...you need to to press in the box to start typing...rather than wen u open a msg, since the keyboard is already expanded, than you shuld be able to type without having to press on the screen....and wat would be GREAT is that when ur phone is in sleep mode and you get a txt msg...u get the notification menu and when u slide the phone it goes to the old sms software...i wanna know how i can make it go to smsd instead...and when u get a txt msg while doing something else, you get the popup Ignore or View....and the View goes to the old client aswell, so would be GREAT to impliment this one to the fullest if possible...please keep me posted if its doable and how and the other suggestions above mine are pretty good ideas too
Old 12-23-2007, 03:46 AM
Developer

SMSDNotifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoftbhardware View Post
The character counting functionality and the ability to send all contact details (like my address) make this a very attractive application (and those are features not found in WeTool). Thank you for putting your energy into writing this.

I am, however, hesitant to install it, because I don't like the idea of adding another daemon to the iPhone. I am wondering whether the notification daemon will use up a meaningful amount of resources / make the iphone less reliable / burn through the battery faster.

Since I don't feel much need to have the mobileSMS notifcation and the SMSd notifcation, it would be great to have an option to run SMSd without using the notification daemon.

So, I guess this is a feature request - unless there is some way that I could do it with the current version - SMSd without notification (or any background daemon).

Thank you again for your contribution to this great community of iPhone users and developers.
SMSDNotifier daemon is turned off by default in v0.09 if it is installed using Ste installer.app repository. To turn it on, you have to use UICtl or launchctl. It is not necessary for SMSD operation. In next version, there will be an internal option to turn it on/off without uictl.

It is an extra process running on your phone and does take (however minimal) resources including battery. So battery nazis should turn it off. Having said that, I did not see any noticeable decrease in battery life. But it is upto the user to find out and make an opinion.

Thanks,
-Amrut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoftbhardware View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebabez View Post
This I find quite strange..
Installed 0.09 and put SMSDNotifier and com.amrut.iphone.SMSD files on the right place.
I didn't still load com.amrut.iphone.SMSD with UICtl because I thought it was working great without the notifier.

BUT all the sudden, after a few days of running 0.09 the notifies starts working?!

How is that possible :/

Still a great app!

And still think the Char count could be in the Navbar instead of title 'Message' with this layout:
123 / 1
162 / 2

what do you think? Coudn't be that hard to implement..
Notifier will NEVER start on its own. But you will sometimes see unread message count on the icon even without notifier. This is a bug/feature . And will be fixed in the next release.

Regarding Char count, all these UI improvements will come eventually when all the core functionality is stable. Stay tuned.

Thanks,
-Amrut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-fusion View Post
my only complaint about the program is that when you click on a msg...you need to to press in the box to start typing...rather than wen u open a msg, since the keyboard is already expanded, than you shuld be able to type without having to press on the screen....and wat would be GREAT is that when ur phone is in sleep mode and you get a txt msg...u get the notification menu and when u slide the phone it goes to the old sms software...i wanna know how i can make it go to smsd instead...and when u get a txt msg while doing something else, you get the popup Ignore or View....and the View goes to the old client aswell, so would be GREAT to impliment this one to the fullest if possible...please keep me posted if its doable and how and the other suggestions above mine are pretty good ideas too
Next version will have a fix for the first issue you mentions. In compose screen, you can just start typing.

Currently there is a simple hack available to make SMSD the defauly sms application. With this clicking "View" on the new message popup will open new message in SMSD and slide to unlock will also open SMSD. But still this is an early stage for SMSD app and needs more testing so that it can replace default Apple SMS app. If you still want to do it, please contact me and I will tell you how to do it.

Thanks,
-Amrut!

Last edited by rumple : 12-23-2007 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-23-2007, 04:29 AM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Black Berries have the ability to forward messages from sms to email and email to sms this is one feature id like to see in smsd its pretty useful considering not everybody has email on their phones...

I do have a question though. when you get the notfication that the sms has been sent is it jus letting to kno that its been sent to the carrier or is it notfiying you that the recipient has received it.... it would be nice to know when the recipient has gotten it...

also how can i make smsd the default sms app??

HookerPuncher installer resource: myrepospace.com/user?i=41
Old 12-23-2007, 04:37 AM
What's Jailbreak?

wich option in ulctl I need active to have the sms notification?
load
load-w
start

I don´t know which active

When I recieve I message, the icon of unread message not appear, but if I enter in thge aplication and exit without read the message, the icon apperars
but I need to enter and exit. Is possible appears without enter and exit?
Old 12-23-2007, 04:43 AM

load -w

HookerPuncher installer resource: myrepospace.com/user?i=41
Old 12-23-2007, 08:58 AM
What's Jailbreak?

I use load-w but the icon doesnt appear when sms arrive, only when I open the aplication and exit without read the message
Old 12-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Green Apple

Hi Amrut,

Thanks for the wonderful programme but unable to use SMSD 0.09. Here is my problem.

When the 0.09 version was announced, I went to installer.ifon.no and installed it from there. Previous to that I had the 0.08 version which was working beautifully. However, after installing the 0.09 from that Norway site, after starting the 0.09, it would display a blank screen for about 15 secs and then go back to the home screen. I subsequently unistalled it, rebooted (using sysinfo and am on firmware 1.1.1), reinstalled 0.08 but the same thing again. Then I unistalled 0.08, rebooted, uninstalled about 10 other apps which I had updated or installed in the last couple of weeks, rebooted, reinstalled 0.09 but the same thing.

Again uninstalled 0.09 (all done through the installer) and yet again rebooted, and tried again to install 0.09 but again the same thing, opens for 15 secs then back to the original home page. I do have UIctl intalled and had activated/not activated the notifier but either of these things dont help.

So now basically, am stuck :-( I cant use my fav application anymore. Is there any solution? Thanks a ton for your time and patience and hope I havent bothered you too much.

Cheers, Vikas
Old 12-23-2007, 11:39 PM

Some Suggestions

hey,
it would be nice if you add a preference in your app to switch the notifier on/ off. Also, when are you planning to apply the apple's bubble chat view as an option.
thanks
Old 12-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Green Apple

Working off of what eternal said, it would be nice to see this SMSD integrated into apple's SMS app. Something similiar to Palm's SMS Chats. When you click on a message it takes you to a screen with only that message and it allows you to delete or forward etc. etc.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:15 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Issue with Home button

Hi Amrut.
First of all, let me thank for the hard work, and for keeping your promisse to have a new upgrade (v0.1) by this weekend :-)

I have an issue with following new feature, running FW 1.1.1

New Feature: If Home button is pressed while in Compose screen, application suspends and resumes at the same screen.

When i press the Home button the app suspends ok and resumes at the same screen. But in the compose screen, the keyboard doesn't show, unless i tap the black area where it was supposed to be.

A suggestion, can you indicate the number of messages currently in Inbox and Sent,even if they already read/sent?
Like:
Inbox (14)
Sent (26)

Thank you very much
Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I Own This Place

Device + Firmware: iPhone | 1.1.4 | Unlocked
Operating System: OS X Leopard 10.5.2
Thanked 1,083 Times in 595 Posts

Agreed, integrating the iChat bubble/conversation style display for this would make it an SMS replacement app for me. Until then, I only open it when I need to forward/write to multiple recipients.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A B A [select] [start]
Old 12-25-2007, 01:33 AM

Quote:
A suggestion, can you indicate the number of messages currently in Inbox and Sent,even if they already read/sent?
Like:
Inbox (14)
Sent (26)
Please do not implement this as it doesn't look nice
thanks

hey,
Your new icon is better than before but the one posted by iphonedev on hackint0sh before was better-

Either please upload it somewhere and pm the download link to me.
thanks

hey amrut,
can you please add these 2 features of the default mobilesms.app-
1. Call the person from whom the message is received by a call button
2. Get the contact info of the person from whom the message is received.

And a suggestion, if you are thinking of implementing the bubble chat view just add the two buttons on the top for call and contact info as in default mobilesms.app
Another suggestion, if you can add a trash box so we can restore a deleted message if we delete it by mistake.
thanks
thanks

Last edited by eternal : 12-25-2007 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ModMyiFone.com | iPhone forums, iPhone hacks, iPhone unlock > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion