Thread Back Search
  • User Name
  • Password

Cycorder

• 08-24-2008 | 04:46 PM
  • x999x's Avatar x999x Posts: 296
  • Quote de Adplaya
    The example i was trying for was Snapture, which is 7.99. My apologies for mixing that up. SnaptureLabs - Purchase

It is the only app of its kind, and yet still it falls short to act as a mediator for the leechers. The price in the long run matters, but it also matters how you market your product. Dreamcatcher's IVR is sub par and his asking price is just ridiculous. He has a bad product, a bad price, and thus a bad response.

saurik is a household name when it comes to the jailbreaking community. His marketing could be abysmal, but his product will still get out there. The reason being is his reputation as a person and as a producer. He really doesnt need to worry to much about that part of the game. He has a good product, a (?) price, and a (?) response.

BUT

One reference to someone who was a novice and had to worry about getting his product out there. Intelliscreen. Marketing on point, price ranges on point, and update support on point. The premium license (which i have) for intelliscreen is at 19.99. It is pricey no doubt, but his reasoning behind the price is what catches you. The other 4.99 version is much CHEAPER BY COMPARISON, which grabs the consumers attention. BTW I know it says "No Support", but the updates are based on complaints from all buyers. One thing about this setup that made his marketing so unbelievable is it was a free [BETA] for such a long time that people already knew about it, and he got an entire board of free beta testers. Marketing 80% complete. Other 20%, word of mouth. So, saurik if you do want to sell Cycorder, just for kicks you might want to check out the Intelliborn setup.
    Intelliscreen Purchase Page
    Intelliborn
    I'm done.
    Intelliscreen has been K'd, but thanks to the frequent updates it receives, its almost more trouble than its worth to use outside of actually buying it. This, for all intents and purposes, is a good thing for the author. Also, don't forget that the same group of beta testers that had a go with Intelliscreen were also the same people moaning about the official launch prices, and were up in arms at only receiving a 5 dollar discount if you used the "Beta" code word at purchase. There were pages of ranting posts, and eventually everyone just had to suck eggs and deal with it.

I think you need to step back and look at things subjectively rather than letting your loyalties dictate how you interpret the supply and demand market works. Household name or not, the people that post here and know the scene don't make up the scene itself, we are still a small portion of the pie that is jailbreaking. For every person that has jailbroken their own phone, they've also jailbroken someone else's who knows nothing about the scene.

Simply put, the point we were after has gotten lost, we are simply talking about offering an application at pricepoints that would appeal to a broader margin of consumers to blanket the community and effectively lessen the blow of the eventual hacks, cracks and patched versions that will follow. Theres no wrong or right here, and all we can do is offer Saurik our opinions on the matter, of which he'll do what he decides is in his own best interests anyway.

:P
  • 08-24-2008 | 09:08 PM
  • one1's Avatar one1 Posts: 1,235
  • I've spent some time with both Cycorder and the 3g video app. I have the results.

No matter what it costs, crap is crap and good is good. What we have here is a free app with the best video ever taken on an iphone, VS an overpriced app with very grainy video, long encoding times, and general lag issues from the many steps and time it takes to end shooting and finally get a video.

Quality is king, and I'd rather have perfect quality video and no audio than grainy image with choppy sound that I paid $20 for. With so many junk apps out there, let's have one that goes all out with the quality. Simply add sound to Cycorder and figure a way to easily export the video - possibly by using redirects to the save folder easiest to get to. It'll be set as the best QUALITY video recorder for the iphone. If you can manage to add a LITTLE compression in there without sacrificing the quality of the output ----- by all means do.

Paying for the 3g video recorder with it's grainy quality and hellaciously long encoding times before you can even preview is a joke, and leaving this app free and adding sound is also a joke. They should switch places and be where they belong.

If you really want to turn the world on it's head design a high quality compression unit into this app and let her rip.
  • 08-24-2008 | 09:54 PM
  • saurik Posts: 26
  • Quote de M4tt Dam0n
    I would gladly pay for this app 4.99 sounds amazing. But I wouldn't mind paying 9.99 if you fix that ugly *** interface(no offense). Make the interface more iPhone/Apple like and add sound of course. I will be first in line to buy it when its complete.

Good job quality is amazing. Ipvr sucks btw and DnB is a tool for taking so much time when you come out with the best solution in 10th of the time.
    I will definitely be doing so. Believe you me, I hate the current interface. The original one was much better, but then I started porting to the App Store. Get this: in Beta 5 they removed all the iPhone-like buttons. Unless you want to sit down in photoshop and /draw buttons/ you have to use those stupid flat white ones. I was seriously angry when I learned that. Now that Cycorder is going jailbroken its going to be much smoother sailing to add better UI features.
  • 08-24-2008 | 10:07 PM
  • Adplaya Posts: 203
  • Quote de saurik
    I will definitely be doing so. Believe you me, I hate the current interface. The original one was much better, but then I started porting to the App Store. Get this: in Beta 5 they removed all the iPhone-like buttons. Unless you want to sit down in photoshop and /draw buttons/ you have to use those stupid flat white ones. I was seriously angry when I learned that. Now that Cycorder is going jailbroken its going to be much smoother sailing to add better UI features.
    Whats stopping you from an AppStore release? I thought you followed all their rules.
  • 08-25-2008 | 05:39 AM
  • jringo718 Posts: 1
  • Hey Saurik or anybody, im hoping you can help me.

The other day my Cydia was crashing so I mindlessly removed some sources through SSH.

I think one of them was Saurik's http://apt.saurik.com/

Now I can't get cycoder and I went into the sources section of Cydia and tried to manually add http://apt.saurik.com and i get a message saying its either incorrect or its a legacy source. I tried every combo and i get the same message.

So then I went into packages and deleted "Saurik's Source" hoping it would show up again in Cydia.

No luck, and I can't seem to add it. I really want to try Cycoder, can someone help?
  • 08-25-2008 | 05:54 AM
  • jmaddox Posts: 24
  • Just another guy willing to pay for this app! definately need a easier way to get video off iphone but i am sure thats to come in later releases. awesome work and you are definately blowing the other apps out of the water!
  • 08-25-2008 | 06:32 AM
  • bschucher Posts: 150
  • I would say some compression is surely needed. It will be difficult to upload file sizes that large. The quality is outstanding BTW and will certainly pay for this app.. THANK YOU!
  • 08-25-2008 | 06:44 AM
  • netuser's Avatar netuser Posts: 174
  • saurik are you planning to use the Max resolution of iphone screen ? in iphonevideorecord3g they have option to have the maximum resolution. Hope you will add also

Cant wait the version with sound , you app is awesome keep it up you hard work
  • 08-25-2008 | 07:36 AM
  • mike1114 Posts: 59
  • start rant...

I'm honestly so tired of pay for apps!!!!

between the appstore and cydia, its easy to rack up almost $100 dollars worth of apps in just 5 APPS!!!

$10 for this, $20 for that etc....then these don't even work after a new firmware upgrade, this is ********.

this is just crazy, what happened to the hacker community this is supposed to be?

We can't even talk about cracking apps/torrents or warez cause thats been deemed "taboo"!!! Screw you Fascit moderators saying we can talk about craking this, but we can't talk about cracking that....sheit...this is MODmyifone, isn't it?

end rant.
  • 08-25-2008 | 07:46 AM
  • reeko's Avatar reeko Posts: 526
  • Quote de mike1114
    start rant...

between the appstore and cydia, its easy to rack up almost $100 dollars worth of apps in just 5 APPS!!!

$10 for this, $20 for that etc....then these don't even work after a new firmware upgrade, this is ********.

this is just crazy, what happened to the hacker community this is supposed to be?

We can't even talk about cracking apps/torrents or warez cause thats been deemed "taboo"!!! Screw you Fascit moderators saying we can talk about craking this, but we can't talk about cracking that....sheit...this is MODmyifone, isn't it?

end rant.

GET DOWN FROM THAT HIGH HORSE YOUR SITTING ON

your an idiot.

if you worked as a bricklayer, and laid 1000 bricks for Joe Bloggs, would you do it for free?

If you were a cleaner, would you clean the white house for free?

This site is for modding your iphone, your right, and it does just that.

The reason warez and the cracking of apps is taboo here is because it is wrong. fullstop. it's taking someones time and effort and distributing it for free. $0.00. Noone i know works for $0.00 so why should devs.

If your that heat up about it, use google and crack the apps with your tight, cobweb in your wallet buddies.

OR

start developing your own versions of these apps and distribute them for free.....
  • 08-25-2008 | 08:02 AM
  • superpups Posts: 1
  • Quote de mike1114
    start rant...

end rant.
    Mike stop being an @sshole.

Saurik no offence but you're my hero! Keep up your great work. You made a lot of people happy.
  • 08-25-2008 | 08:04 AM
  • thestrangestick Posts: 81
  • Quote de chilman415
    Sorry...I usually just a lurker but I had to reply here cuz this makes no sense. WTF??

Has Snapture been cracked already? What is the point you're trying to make here?
    I think (well, hope) that you quoted me erroneously. The irony is of course, you're saying 'WTF lulz' to my post regarding Snapture when the word 'Snapture' isn't even in my post. Or 'ture' or 'snap' for that matter.
  • 08-25-2008 | 08:31 AM
  • jmaddox Posts: 24
  • In all honesty I do have cracked software on my computer system I have yet to add anything hacked to my iphone for 2 reasons.

1. For the amount of money its really not worth the time
    2. It seems that alot of software for sale also have free of limited use that fits my needs.

On top of all this is the idea behind warez, in my day it wasnt there to screw the little guy it was against the larger corps with the 500 to 600 apps. If you really want to screw someone screw apple they are the ones that put out a expensive product that lacked the most basic applications.
  • 08-25-2008 | 10:58 AM
  • M4tt Dam0n Posts: 6
  • Quote de Adplaya
    Whats stopping you from an AppStore release? I thought you followed all their rules.

Haven't been following the scene that much but hasn't apple forbiden devs to make use of the iPhone's cam for app? or something like that?

The other reason is that they want to release their own version. Stupid apple they can't do things by themselves and when 3rd party devs want to do things they don't allow them lol. Still love my iPhone
  • 08-25-2008 | 11:54 AM
  • jwcrash's Avatar jwcrash Posts: 428
  • Quote de M4tt Dam0n
    hasn't apple forbiden devs to make use of the iPhone's cam for app?
    I'm guessing you're off since the Facebook app has camera support built in. And I don't imagine FB trying to sneak around Apple's guidelines.

But I could be wrong...just an educated guess based on what I'm seeing out there.
Return to Top