Thread Back Search
  • User Name
  • Password

All AT&T SIM Cards Work Now

• 07-16-2008 | 12:40 PM
  • kline1's Avatar kline1 Posts: 38
  • Maybe if you read the threads title it will help you a little......." All AT&T SIM Cards Work Now " OMFG ...Who said anything about t-mobile.
  • 07-16-2008 | 12:59 PM
  • eg6motion Posts: 192
  • Quote de jfmsam
    Now that this cat is out of the bag... here is a new one:

I bought a 3G, signed up for the $30 data plan and activated it normally.

Took the chip out of the 3G, placed it on a 2G and signed up for the regular 2G $20 data plan with the same number.

Took the chip back to the 3G iPhone (it did not require reactivation) and now I am running a 2G cheaper data plan with my new 3G.

Can't escape the contract extension, but saves some $$$ over the long term.
    do you receive the same 3G signal and data or is it limited to EDGE now? I thought of doing something like this. I hate the idea of paying for something that was already there and doesn't cost anything extra for ATT to do. Not to mention I have almost 0 3G coverage in my area and am forced to pay 3G price, and I lost the 200 text message. Been with ATT for awhile but that move pissed me off.
  • 07-16-2008 | 12:59 PM
  • coachballfirm Posts: 248
  • I am going to go buy a 3g. What should I do first? I want my bill lowered or the same or no bill at all if posible.. What should I do when I get it????
  • 07-16-2008 | 01:03 PM
  • randomopinion Posts: 20
  • so if i have original iphone 16gb on 2.0 firmware, i can just swap a vaild att sim in and out with no issue?

for example if i wanted to copy my friends sim contacts real quick and then give back his sim?
  • 07-16-2008 | 01:04 PM
  • hozay09's Avatar hozay09 Posts: 148
  • hmmm interesting.. I would be careful with removing 3G data plans right away. According to internal memo's those who removed the data plans were subject to ETF fees.. if it does however work, I'd love to go back to my $15 MEdia net unlimited plan
  • 07-16-2008 | 01:06 PM
  • Schmoove28 Posts: 10
  • O.K. Im trying this now with my current ATT sim. The only thing is, its making me go through the iPhone activation. Is this o.k.? I don't want to end up with an iPhone plan in the end.
  • 07-16-2008 | 01:07 PM
  • PhoneLine Posts: 155
  • Quote de randomopinion
    so if i have original iphone 16gb on 2.0 firmware, i can just swap a vaild att sim in and out with no issue?

for example if i wanted to copy my friends sim contacts real quick and then give back his sim?
    On the 3G it would work like that, on the 1st gen phone it seems you need to connect it to itunes before it works.
  • 07-16-2008 | 01:12 PM
  • joseruinyc Posts: 54
  • Quote de kline1
    Maybe if you read the threads title it will help you a little......." All AT&T SIM Cards Work Now " OMFG ...Who said anything about t-mobile.
    omfg lmaol the best quote ever.... peace (who said anything about t-mobile) lol keep up the good work.. half the people in here are dumm as rocks. peace
  • 07-16-2008 | 01:15 PM
  • Slashwrist Posts: 4
  • ok so I'm still confused. I have an AT&T sim from another phone that I've had , then I got iPhone and I got it unlocked and jailbroken. I still pay my old plan with a data plan. I want to upgrade to 2.0 but I do not want pay for iPhone plans. If I upgrade I know I will have to upgrade my plan. Am I waiting for unlock or jailbroken?
  • 07-16-2008 | 01:21 PM
  • jayson9 Posts: 21
  • When I bought my 3G iPhone, the AT&T guys did not set up my plan correctly. So, once I got my old 2G iPhone working for my son, and my 3G working, each were on a $20 2G plan. I could not notice much difference in Internet speed until I called AT&T and switched to the 3G data plan. Even though my phone said 3G on the signal bar, it was still fairly slow. However GPS worked and it performed at least as good as my old 2G. So, yeah, keep the old 2G data plan and 200 text msgs - but also the keep the same 2G internet speed when in 3G country.
  • 07-16-2008 | 01:21 PM
  • Jager673 Posts: 7
  • I got the iPhone 3G yesterday and the lady at the store activated it (so i thought). Well when i left it showed i had service and everything, but then i looked at my old iPhone which still had the old SIM in it and that ALSO had service. I used another phone to call my number and my OLD iPhone rang... I came home switched SIM cards and hooked my old iPhone up to my PC and its telling me to set up a new plan and what not. If i switch them back and try hooking up my new iPhone to my PC nothing happens... I dont get this.. I Cant use my new SIM for my new iPhone 3G, but it has service...
  • 07-16-2008 | 01:26 PM
  • Biznotch Posts: 3
  • just stay on 1.1.4 unlocked/jailbroken until the dev team releases their unlock/jailbreak methods.

once they are released, you will be able to upgrade to 2.0, jailbreak/unlock it, and then continue to use your plan as it is, without having to pay the iphone plans. if you upgrade to 2.0 right now, you will have to activate it through itunes, which in turn will force you to have a 2G data plan
  • 07-16-2008 | 01:27 PM
  • A.T Posts: 20
  • Quote de Slashwrist
    ok so I'm still confused. I have an AT&T sim from another phone that I've had , then I got iPhone and I got it unlocked and jailbroken. I still pay my old plan with a data plan. I want to upgrade to 2.0 but I do not want pay for iPhone plans. If I upgrade I know I will have to upgrade my plan. Am I waiting for unlock or jailbroken?
    For you it wouldn't matter.

Jailbraking allows any sim from the official provider of iPhone in that country to work. Eg, all O2 in UK sims would work, all AT&T sims in USA would work, T-Mobile sims in Germany etc. You get the idea.

Unlocking would allow any sim in the world to work no matter where the iPhone was bought.

I think I'm right anyway.
  • 07-16-2008 | 01:32 PM
  • Slashwrist Posts: 4
  • well then I'm still waiting for pwnage from dev team then.
  • 07-16-2008 | 01:32 PM
  • randomopinion Posts: 20
  • Quote de Slashwrist
    ok so I'm still confused. I have an AT&T sim from another phone that I've had , then I got iPhone and I got it unlocked and jailbroken. I still pay my old plan with a data plan. I want to upgrade to 2.0 but I do not want pay for iPhone plans. If I upgrade I know I will have to upgrade my plan. Am I waiting for unlock or jailbroken?
    Sort of like my question, if its like my answer then you would need to still activate in iTunes once you swap in that sim, which then does what to your plan?

a) will ask you to sign up for an iphone plan
    b) just activate knowing it is a sim with an att plan

If the answer is a) you obviously need to wait for a jailbreak/fake activation for 2.0

*this is only because you have the original iphone, if you had a 3g then it would just work without connecting to iTunes. but trying to physically acquire a 3g iphone without a contract, that may be tough. Again this is what I gather, please correct me if I'm wrong
Return to Top