HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > ModMyiFone > News
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News What's the latest news? Check it out here. Grab Our News RSS Feed

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Owner / Founder - ModMyiFone

Device + Firmware: iPhone | 1.1.2 | 1.1.3
Operating System: OS X | XP | Sabayon
Thanked 13,537 Times in 297 Posts
Send a message via AIM to cash7c3 Send a message via MSN to cash7c3 Send a message via Yahoo to cash7c3
All AT&T SIM Cards Work Now

AT&T customers reportedly don't have to worry about their gophone SIM cards or their non-iphone plan SIM cards not working. What's the deal? The latest software version 2.0.

In the good old days AT&T users were required to use the iPhone sim that came in the box and activate their accounts via iTunes also agreeing to a 2 year contract on data prices while they were at it. Many users chose to dig a little deeper and decided to jailbreak their 1st gen phones and then play around a bit with unlocking and activation in order to use their iPhones at cheaper carrier prices.

With firmware version 2.0 switching between ANY AT&T SIM card is easy. On the 3g iPhone you just pop it in and it works. The 1st generation iPhone is a bit more tedious, but no a big deal. It requires you to connect to iTunes to be activated, but unlike the past it will activate.

Furthermore it is reported that the 3g iPhone works just fine with a gophone sim at the cheap rate of $20/mo

Edit: Contrary to the results discovered by phonenews some of our members say this doesn't work with first generation phones even after the 2.0 upgrade. It seems to work on the 3g phone just fine. Beware.

[via phonenews]
Attached Thumbnails

Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:03 PM
iPhoneaholic

Device + Firmware: 1.1.4 iPhone Jailbroken with iLiberty+
Operating System: XP

Niiice. Solid info!
Old 07-16-2008, 12:07 PM
What's Jailbreak?

so if im correct, I can use the current att sim i have now, pop it into my iphone 2.0 and use it without having to have an iphone plan? If so, this a sweet deal.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4 Pwned BL3.9, iPhone 2.0 BL3.9
Operating System: WinXP SP2, WinVista Extreme, OS X Leopard 10.5 Hackint0sh

So can i get unlimited Texting and 3G data on goPhone, or do i have to use the 3G plans for that?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:12 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.1 on 3G and 2.0 on 2G
Operating System: Dual Boot MAC OSX/VISTA

Now that this cat is out of the bag... here is a new one:

I bought a 3G, signed up for the $30 data plan and activated it normally.

Took the chip out of the 3G, placed it on a 2G and signed up for the regular 2G $20 data plan with the same number.

Took the chip back to the 3G iPhone (it did not require reactivation) and now I am running a 2G cheaper data plan with my new 3G.

Can't escape the contract extension, but saves some $$$ over the long term.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:19 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: Iphone 2.0
Operating System: Mac OSX 10.5.4

ok this is slightly off topic here but im new and i did a lil search but didnt find the right answer.
i unlocked my iPhone 1st Gen without taking a contract out but what i want to know now is if i put the original o2 sim card in will it ask me to take out a contract or are you unable too anymore?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:22 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmsam View Post
Now that this cat is out of the bag... here is a new one:

I bought a 3G, signed up for the $30 data plan and activated it normally.

Took the chip out of the 3G, placed it on a 2G and signed up for the regular 2G $20 data plan with the same number.

Took the chip back to the 3G iPhone (it did not require reactivation) and now I am running a 2G cheaper data plan with my new 3G.

Can't escape the contract extension, but saves some $$$ over the long term.
Dude you lost me!
Old 07-16-2008, 12:26 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 2.0.1 Pwned

Basically, he bought a 3G phone to use edge on it.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:30 PM
iPhoneaholic

Device + Firmware: 8GB iPhone Pwned! on FW 2.0.1
Operating System: Leopard 10.5.4

I dont know...

Not working for me.

Popped in my Pay as you go AT&T sim, connected to iTunes and it wont activate as I must register and this is what I cannot bc I am not in the US...
Old 07-16-2008, 12:31 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Ok so I'm still a bit confused. I own a 2gen iphone with 1.1.4 unlocked and jailbroken, but I still use at&t. So from what I just read I can update to 2.0 without locking my phone or have to register it?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Green Apple

Operating System: Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmalp View Post
ok this is slightly off topic here but im new and i did a lil search but didnt find the right answer.
i unlocked my iPhone 1st Gen without taking a contract out but what i want to know now is if i put the original o2 sim card in will it ask me to take out a contract or are you unable too anymore?
???
If you unlcoked it, why would you want to put the O2 sim card in?
The point is, the little sim card that comes with your iPhone is worhtless if you unlock it, and never took out a contract. It does nothing. So feel free to go use a pay as you go sim. I'm on t-mobile UK. You could if you wanted to use the o2 sim, but then you have to pay for a contract (its a contract sim). If you just want to use the o2 network, pay as you go, then buy a o2 pay you go sim and pop it in. Good luck!

Last edited by thestrangestick; 07-16-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:32 PM
What's Jailbreak?

So let me get this straight. I am using a gophone sim on my unlocked 8gb 1st gen iPhone just to get the $20 a month data plan since I already have another phone for talking and texting. Can I just upgrade to 2.0 through iTunes, and still be able to use my iPhone without having to hack anything else?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:33 PM
What's Jailbreak?

I put in -Mobile sim card. It says "invalid sim card" on 3g Iphone 2.0

I have the new 3g Iphone with AT&T. I put in my T-Mobile simcard. It says "invalid sim card". It only work with A&TT.

Integra93_4
Old 07-16-2008, 12:39 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: Iphone 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangestick View Post
???
If you unlcoked it, why would you want to put the O2 sim card in?
The point is, the little sim card that comes with your iPhone is worhtless if you unlock it, and never took out a contract. It does nothing. So feel free to go use a pay as you go sim. I'm on t-mobile UK. You could if you wanted to use the o2 sim, but then you have to pay for a contract (its a contract sim). If you just want to use the o2 network, pas as you go, then buy a o2 pas you go sim and pop it in. Good luck!
yeah i got a 3g iphone now and i gave my missis the old iphone but she wouldnt mind taking a contract out on it which is why i was thinking that if i restore it would it still give me the option to take a contract out. thanks anyway
Old 07-16-2008, 12:40 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: 2Gen T-mobile iPhone 1.1.4
Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate and 10.5.4 Leopard Hackintosh
Send a message via AIM to bigcnlb Send a message via Yahoo to bigcnlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by integra93_4 View Post
I have the new 3g Iphone with AT&T. I put in my T-Mobile simcard. It says "invalid sim card". It only work with A&TT.

Integra93_4

Well yeah because you have to Unlock/Jailbreak it before we can use our T-Mobile sim cards in it. As soon as the Dev-Team released the new pwnage tool 2.0 then we can do that on the iphone 3g or on the iphones with a 2.0 firmware upgrade

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > ModMyiFone > News