Thread Back Search
  • User Name
  • Password

How To: Tether the iPhone 3G

• 07-23-2008 | 12:17 AM
  • poetic_folly's Avatar poetic_folly Posts: 7,424

• For those of you wondering if it was possible to tether your iPhone 3G to your Mac - its sure is.

We've got a simple guide up to tether the iPhone 3G in OS X which you can follow along with.

NOTE: Tethering is AGAINST AT&T's data usage policy, this is not something you should abuse, or perhaps even do - you could get slapped with some heavy fines. There, you've been warned.
  • 07-23-2008 | 12:34 AM
  • adsonjustin Posts: 4
  • thats scary
  • 07-23-2008 | 12:36 AM
  • m3thodandr3d's Avatar m3thodandr3d Posts: 474
  • Has anyone tested this to see if AT&T bills you for off-phone data usage?
  • 07-23-2008 | 01:23 AM
  • javilam Posts: 3
  • will this work only on firefox???
  • 07-23-2008 | 01:31 AM
  • kyikeda Posts: 33
  • hmmm to void warranty or to not void warranty.
  • 07-23-2008 | 01:39 AM
  • Iman07's Avatar Iman07 Posts: 237
  • can i use this on t-mobile edge? and doe anyone know how much data is allowed with the $5.99 plan. this is really good for those times where there is no wifi, but i guess u could just use ur iphone lol. good post.
  • 07-23-2008 | 01:41 AM
  • imode69 Posts: 206
  • Quote de javilam
    will this work only on firefox???
    It will work with any browser... It'll also work with Windows (different setup however) Just setup the proxy server settings for that browser.
  • 07-23-2008 | 01:46 AM
  • malka_aria Posts: 20
  • its funny that like year ago when i had the 1st generation iphone, I called Apple to ask how could I get internet on my mac from the iphone.. their answer was "I'm not sure if that is possible"
    so i think im gonna try it now so i could keep it for the future
    nate true is llways amazing us with cool discoveries...
  • 07-23-2008 | 01:59 AM
  • bcons003 Posts: 29
  • it was really easy to set up with windows, i would like to make a tutorial for windows but i use a program to manage my networks and not sure how to do it with windows's stuff.

i wonder what AT&T does if they find out you're tethering and how do they find out?
  • 07-23-2008 | 02:11 AM
  • malka_aria Posts: 20
  • hmm mm that was nice but you can use it only to browse with firefox, you cant even sign in with yahoo messenger or anything else... still useful though in emergencies
  • 07-23-2008 | 02:22 AM
  • imode69 Posts: 206
  • Quote de malka_aria
    hmm mm that was nice but you can use it only to browse with firefox, you cant even sign in with yahoo messenger or anything else... still useful though in emergencies
    Not true. It's a proxy server. Need to configure your app to use a proxy and it'll work.
  • 07-23-2008 | 02:45 AM
  • RonMexico Posts: 72
    NOTE: Tethering is AGAINST AT&T's data usage policy, this is not something you should abuse, or perhaps even do - you could get slapped with some heavy fines. There, you've been warned.
    ya, that scares the shat out of me,lol

I really want to tether tho
  • 07-23-2008 | 03:51 AM
  • joshysquashy Posts: 127
  • Could someone make an app for the mac/pc that sets up your browser and network with minimum effort, and then puts everything back again?

Also it would be nice to have a gui app for the iPhone to start the proxy and tell you the ip address, and to try accessing the internet so you don't need to open a website on the iPhone.

So it would be: open app on mac, it tells you to connect to the wireless network on your iphone (automatic in future). Then on the iphone you launch the proxy app, it tells you the IP address. You enter that IP address into the mac app and press connect. Now you can access the internet, no more settings.

When done, you quit the iPhone app and it stops the proxy. You quit the mac app and it puts your settings back and stops the ad-hoc network.
  • 07-23-2008 | 05:06 AM
  • Siiv3r Posts: 31
  • this is cool wish theyd do something of the revers for the ipod like with att connect cards you pay per month for that'd be nice
  • 07-23-2008 | 05:57 AM
  • UiK Posts: 51
  • Am I the only one who doesn't know what tether is?
Return to Top