HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > iPhone > News
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News What's the latest news? Check it out here. Grab Our News RSS Feed

MMi Super Contest | 30 winners! Over $1500 in Prizes! Enter Today!

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 05:35 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1st Gen 1.1.4 Jailbroken / 3G 16gig White Jailbroken I haz iPhones :)
Operating System: Windows Vista

For those unafraid of SSH there would not be a manual way to get this installed in an already jailbroken phone? If not, it would be nice to have the install in Cydia. Installer had Cydia, so hopefully the favor is returned
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:42 PM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.0.1 pwnd (1.0.2 OTB)
Operating System: Mac OS 10.5.4

Cydia is supported and ported by a member of the Dev Team. The same group who brought you pwnage tool. Seems like Installer and Cydia are now in a Betamax/VHS style war (or for you younger folks, Blueray vs HD DVD). Call me a pessimist, but I would be surprised if Cydia hosts an Installer reference. Have a look at the 4th screen shot "RiP Dev"?? Hmmm

The one that'll survive is the one that will have hosted the most apps. All these arguments about which is better amuse me... To me I don't see any real difference between the two. I'm amused by people who say: "Cydia sucks because I can't add sources..." What sources? You can't add something the doesn't exist... As apps are ported to 2.0 firmware the developer will register it with Cydia and thus it will be available.

One last thing... When Installer is released please post messages like: "Where are the apps? I thought Installer was supposed to have all the apps..." so I can have a good laugh.

Last edited by imode; 07-24-2008 at 05:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to imode For This Useful Post:
poetic_folly (07-25-2008)
Old 07-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Green Apple

Unless the functionality in terms of speed refreshing sources and browsing recent packages, I'll probably use Cydia more. But as Saurik also said, both can be used together, which will probably happen since some apps will only be available on one or the other in some cases.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:47 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: 1.1.2JB iTouch
Operating System: Windows XP

Umm, Cydia and installer will live hand in hand, much like before the 2.0 jailbreak sensation. Cydia has a MMI source, A Bigboss source and a couple other smaller ones, but pretty much has everything that installer does, or will have. Installer will always be more loosely regulated because sources are so easily made and people just make them to be cool, While cydia has much less, but more secure sources. In turn i'm sure they will both work side by side on 2.0

Also I ran Cydia before 2.0 and it had a installer package for awhile, Meaning that I think we should be looking in cydia for the installer app soon, seeing as installer is just another app.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaiian Modder For This Useful Post:
tntmorgan (07-24-2008)
Old 07-24-2008, 05:52 PM

no... Im sure you can SSH into your phone and add it like any app

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogger View Post
I believe that one must re-pwn their phone once this is released. That's cool that Cydia was on the money for the 2.0 release date, but I'm waiting until Installer 4 is out before pwning.
no, Im sure you can SSH into your phone and add it manually like any app

I like how in Cydia when you install an app, and your exit back to the springboard, it doesnt have to do a respring... nice feature... wonder if installer will be similar in this aspect

Last edited by reznor9; 07-24-2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-24-2008, 06:00 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: 1.1.2JB iTouch
Operating System: Windows XP

Yea I was just saying that it will also be on cydia for everyone that has been has cydia and is ******** about it.

Also I think that the only reason installer is taking this long is cause they are trying to perfect the respring, almost make it look like apples. They also are probably trying to get people like SpicyChicken and maybe even errick to get the apps done and have a huge release thing on the same day as installer.

Who knows, it will all happen eventually.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Green Apple

pure nasty...
Old 07-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Green Apple

Looks good, cant wait for a release!
Old 07-24-2008, 06:27 PM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 16GB 3G 2.0 PWNED
Operating System: winXP-win2k3-winVista

yup can't wait also for installer... and i can't wait till they get the bugs out of cydia... tried installing a different battery and now i have no battery img when charging... plus i lost my edge icon when uninstalling the IE7 icon. imma gonna wait till installer comes out before i restore my iPhone3G
Old 07-24-2008, 06:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to JD914 Send a message via Yahoo to JD914

Instaler rules....Cydia sucks. I cant wait for this!