HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > ModMyiFone > News
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News What's the latest news? Check it out here. Grab Our News RSS Feed

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0
View Poll Results: Does your iPhone 3g have cracks?
yes, er, what do I do? 105 29.17%
no mine's awesome 255 70.83%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 09:30 AM
MMi Writer

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.0
Operating System: Windows XP
iPhone 3g Cracked

According to recent reports, it appears that the 3G iPhones are developing cracks. No, this is not due to dropping it by harsh users or blending it but it's even happening with people who love their expensive iPhone like their babies!

Many people will sensationalize this and say that this is just another brick on the wall of problems Apple has had with the 3g iPhone launch including mobileme failing, servers crashing, yellow screens, and all day sync times but that just isn't the case. The cracks are not because of the cheap construction of the 3g iPhone.

All of us "in the know" realize that this is just a new planned feature similar to the yellow screens providing a "warmer feel." In reality Apple included this feature to protect your iPhone from abuse. Much like the crumple zones in cars are designed to protect the occupants inside during brutal crashes, the exterior casing of the iPhone 3g is designed to protect the precious components inside. No matter how small the abuse (read talking on the phone) Apple is prioritizing the protection of the device's functionality first and foremost.

Currently there is no official word from Apple but the issue appears to be just cosmetic and there's no problem with the phone functioning.

Now, what to do? I highly recommend you to get a Zagg iPhone 3G shield or some good body skin to protect your beloved or you can just continue on with the new iPhone feature confident that the internals of the phone are still well protected.

Please tell us if you too are having the same problem, take some pics, and vote in our poll

[MacRumors via Engadget]

oh and if it isn't obvious the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs are cash, don't yell at the op
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by cash7c3; 07-31-2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: rewrite, another pic, poll, etc, source properly, internal links
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4
Send a message via AIM to blacksti
Nope

Still happy with my great frst gen iphone!! woot but am thinking about getting a 3G (should I now with this?) (first)
Old 07-31-2008, 11:59 AM
What's Jailbreak?

My iPhone 3G (white) has a crack right by the ringer switch, it has had this crack right out of the box, the very next day I called the Apple store, and they told me there was nothing they could do about it. This is very frustrating. Hopefully Apple will do something about this!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: 4GB IPHONE (2.0.0)
Operating System: Mac OS X LEOPARD (BLACKBOOK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micara57 View Post
My iPhone 3G (white) has a crack right by the ringer switch, it has had this crack right out of the box, the very next day I called the Apple store, and they told me there was nothing they could do about it. This is very frustrating. Hopefully Apple will do something about this!
Hey if you really dont want it I'd be happy to take it off of your hands
Old 07-31-2008, 12:02 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 16Gb 2.0 (5A225c)
Operating System: x64
The first

:-)

Iphone 1st gen + gps is best idea but not in this reality...

Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 PM
MMi Writer

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.0

yeah, this news was by me, but cash made it perfect
Old 07-31-2008, 12:06 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: iphone 16gb 2.0.1 firmware
Operating System: XP (vista is booboo)

oh no no no, thats not good. Imagine what could happen if and when the crack gets larger. Thats a horrible thought. That's even more reason not to get one in my eyes. Paying 600 or 700 as a non-at&t customer and have to worry about getting cracks.....definitely not a good look for apple
Old 07-31-2008, 12:06 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: Ipod Touch 1.1.4
Operating System: windows

that sucks.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:09 PM
My iPhone is a Part of Me

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4
Operating System: XP AND NOW MAC!!!!!!!

mine still has not been dropped (knows on wood with foot(2 broken wrists still)) i have no cracks so far and it was in my pocket when i crashed my motor cycle

2 broken wrists so give me a break. no more 2007 Yamaha r6
Old 07-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Green Apple

Muahahaha, metal casing FTW!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:14 PM

Had my 3G since launch date, bumped it against car doors, desk, and drop it. It's free of any scratches or cracks for me.

The two people who reported the cracks, I wonder if they leave in an area with harsh temperatures, heat can crack the case.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:22 PM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 8g 1.1.3 JB customize. SMB. ,,!,,
Operating System: Vista 64 bit! HA NO VIRUSES!! take that apple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingwhen View Post
mine still has not been dropped (knows on wood with foot(2 broken wrists still)) i have no cracks so far and it was in my pocket when i crashed my motor cycle
dude i wanted a motorcycle allmy life but people keep telling me know, because people crash it constantly X*( like you just did, they even call them organ donors
Old 07-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: 4GB IPHONE (2.0.0)
Operating System: Mac OS X LEOPARD (BLACKBOOK)

I was talking to my friends about the plastic backs of the 3G and I had brought that too his attention. Obviously the reason why apply re-designed the exterior of the iphone (even though the said once you buy THIS phone (1st Gen) you'd never have to buy another phone again) is to increase the amount of profit that that made per unit by decreasing the cost it took to make them. Honestly, I'm sure someone had the great idea during the developments of the first gen phones to give them plastic backs and it would be cheaper to make. And some smart guy said that people are going to be paying alot of money for these, lets not cheapen them with designs that arent meant to preserve them. BUT i guess they fired that guy with the standards and the other guy came up with the idea again for the 3G and no one stood up against it. I get the feeling this wont be that last you hear of this problem but more importantly apple will not do anything about it. As consumers its our obligation to make sure that the product is correct and in immaculate(?) condition before we leave the store. Yes apple is getting over on us (Its probably the real reason they sent people home to activate the phones) but it is our responsibility to make sure we're getting what we paid for.

Cover Your Own A**.......
Old 07-31-2008, 12:39 PM
Owner / Founder - ModMyiFone

Device + Firmware: iPhone | 1.1.2 | 1.1.3
Operating System: OS X | XP | Sabayon
Thanked 13,529 Times in 297 Posts
Send a message via AIM to cash7c3 Send a message via MSN to cash7c3 Send a message via Yahoo to cash7c3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretthartt View Post
I was talking to my friends about the plastic backs of the 3G and I had brought that too his attention. Obviously the reason why apply re-designed the exterior of the iphone (even though the said once you buy THIS phone (1st Gen) you'd never have to buy another phone again) is to increase the amount of profit that that made per unit by decreasing the cost it took to make them. Honestly, I'm sure someone had the great idea during the developments of the first gen phones to give them plastic backs and it would be cheaper to make. And some smart guy said that people are going to be paying alot of money for these, lets not cheapen them with designs that arent meant to preserve them. BUT i guess they fired that guy with the standards and the other guy came up with the idea again for the 3G and no one stood up against it. I get the feeling this wont be that last you hear of this problem but more importantly apple will not do anything about it. As consumers its our obligation to make sure that the product is correct and in immaculate(?) condition before we leave the store. Yes apple is getting over on us (Its probably the real reason they sent people home to activate the phones) but it is our responsibility to make sure we're getting what we paid for.

Cover Your Own A**.......
why would Apple do something about a feature?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:40 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iphone 2.0
Operating System: Hackintosh 10.3
Send a message via ICQ to jmcgee_jr

It wasn't only to cut costs it was also to improve reception of the GPS and 3G inside...

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > ModMyiFone > News