HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Go Back   ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch forums, news, apps, themes. > Computer Modding Software > OS Apps and Development
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OS Apps and Development This forum is for development discussion of apps/programs being built for the OS side (OS X, Windows, etc) to interact with your iPhone.

iPhone Optimized MMi | Browser Optimized MMi

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

Opportunities at MMi | 1.1.4 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Win | $199 3G iPhone Releasing July 11

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2007, 09:15 AM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Alternative to iTunes GUI?

Is there a GUI under development that would replace iTunes in managing music/movies as well as handling software updates?

I haven't tested it yet, but I would imagine iTunes wouldn't allow an upgrade/patch installation on a phone that has a T-Mobile SIM installed or a phone that hasn't been registered.

What do you all think? Or is there such an app and I'm too blind to see it?
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:24 AM

iTunes doesn't know which provider the iPhone belongs to.
However, there have been speculation that future iPhone updates WILL disable the current unlock methods. It is even possible they can "re-lock" the iPhone. Since one of the current software unlock method uses a buffer overflow exploit.

Honestly I don't know, it seemed to me that the buffer overflow thing was just a method to flash an on board chip.

If u want a REAL unlocked iPhone, prepare to solder 500 ball points!!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:31 AM

You kind of touched on what I was getting to. If we could use a third-party GUI to manage our music/video we wouldn't have to worry about an 'update' push that might lock the phone.

Also it will give us an option to install the latest update if testing shows no adverse effects on our current setup.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:40 AM

There's is no forced update, u can always click "No"
The question is, will u want to? WiFi iTMS is coming soon.
As well as a whole slew of apple goodie in the future, remember, this will be the primary way for getting software onto the iPhone!

Though I imagine there will be other management systems for the iPhone, probably for Linux users. The idea is not too complicated, all they need to figure out is how to interface with the iPhone via usb. The file system is already been well studied. Besides that, they just need some kinda SQL for manipulating the database on the iPhone.

U can probably expect to see the first of them before the year ends, probably way before.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:45 PM

Floola looks like it could be modded to work with the iPhone

I mean, the file structure has to be the same, right?

It currently only works with the iPod. Seems like just a little tweak would be needed.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I mean, the file structure has to be the same, right?

It currently only works with the iPod. Seems like just a little tweak would be needed.
the basic file structure are the same, Unix style.
the key is where specific files are located, what folders, etc.
keep in mind that the iPod has been around for 6 years,
where as the iPhone has been around for 0.3 years. haha
Old 09-17-2007, 01:31 AM
What's Jailbreak?

We've (Linux users) been able to sync...

with the iPhone for awhile now. We just mount the iPhone's FS wirelessly via sshfs, load GTKPod and sync ...wirelessly. The current SVN version of libgpod (the backend that manipulates iTunesDB) has recently implemented full support for artwork, video, calendar, contacts, podcasts etc. for the iPhone, iPT. You can also use gnupod. In fact, with that I've written a script that runs on my phone that checks what wifi network i'm connected to and if it's my home network (where my computer is) it automatically initiates syncing. That means that whenever I get home, I don't have to sit down at my computer, or even take my phone out of my pocket -- everything syncs back and forth automatically. beautiful.

I'm currently in the process of porting libgpod to the iPhone environment so we can integrate over-the-air downloads into iTunesDB. That basically means we can then write a GUI frontend to bashpodder (podcast client) and automatically download/sync podcasts on-the-go.

My next project will be to get internet radio running...

Shoutcast on-the-go will be sweet.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:24 AM

ha ha .. didn't know about the updates to libgpod .. significant!
I wonder if it does backup as well, how about firmware update?
Well, I guess it's easy enough to snatch one from somewhere and DIY =)
I actually haven't had a home computer with Linux for a while now.
U know ... the whole Mac thing worked flawlessly for me ..
Well .. me and my ex-buddy were gonna try to build gentoo over the summer .. lol .. don't wanna do it by myself ... handbook or no handbook =P
Old 09-17-2007, 08:34 AM

And, as usual....

we Windows drones are left holding the bag.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:00 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benanzo View Post
with the iPhone for awhile now. We just mount the iPhone's FS wirelessly via sshfs, load GTKPod and sync ...wirelessly. The current SVN version of libgpod (the backend that manipulates iTunesDB) has recently implemented full support for artwork, video, calendar, contacts, podcasts etc. for the iPhone, iPT. You can also use gnupod. In fact, with that I've written a script that runs on my phone that checks what wifi network i'm connected to and if it's my home network (where my computer is) it automatically initiates syncing. That means that whenever I get home, I don't have to sit down at my computer, or even take my phone out of my pocket -- everything syncs back and forth automatically. beautiful.

I'm currently in the process of porting libgpod to the iPhone environment so we can integrate over-the-air downloads into iTunesDB. That basically means we can then write a GUI frontend to bashpodder (podcast client) and automatically download/sync podcasts on-the-go.

I just registered specifically because of this post.

HOLY COW.

Now I'm irked- I had a beautifully functional Gutsy install running really smoothly until the day I bought an iPhone... and I reinstalled Windows.

Is there a site that details your process? I'd be very eager to try to get this working!!!

Thanks for your efforts!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to iPhoneHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by benanzo View Post

i just pooped my pants. :O
i wish i was a linux nerd to get this working for me. i would love wireless syncing.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 PM
My iPhone is a Part of Me

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4 JB (OTB 1.1.3)
Operating System: Win XP
Send a message via MSN to Imahottguy

Gazoo: I'm sure that you've heard of MediaMonkey? If not go to their site MediaMonkey.com and download the client. They can sync pretty much anything to the iPod. As well as other DAP's or PMP's (Whichever you prefer). The only thing that it couldn't sync was videos (I don't know as I never owned an iPod). But yeah, def check it out!

EDIT: Apparently, until they release MediaMonkey ver 3, iPh iPt support has been put on the back-burner. If we had the ability to enable 'Disk Mode' then we could sync easily. Unfortunately, Apple hasn't given us that ability yet. Kinda sucks...

Last edited by Imahottguy : 11-11-2007 at 08:28 PM.

ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch forums, news, apps, themes. > Computer Modding Software > OS Apps and Development