HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Free 3G iPhone Contest!
Unlocked Cell Phones

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > IPHONE > Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading > Pwnage
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pwnage PwnageTool is a brilliant application which allows you to "pwn" your iPhone and allow it to accept custom firwares, which can be jailbroken/unlocked/etc. By the Dev Team.

Work Opportunities at MMi - updated 6/29/08 | Discuss AppStore Apps!

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 08:24 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Pwnage (or Cydia?) Shuts My iPhone Down?

Hello Fellow Modders,

I have been encountering an interesting problem as of late. Let me first describe the problem, and then the possible sources of the problem.
When I lock my iPhone, or if I let it autolock, if I wait for more than about 1 minute, it shuts off. I will then I have to turn the power back at, at which point it will shut off if I let the iPhone autolock itself. If I put it on neverlock, and leave it alone, it will not shut itself off. But, if I lock it myself, it shuts off.
Okay, possible sources!
1. When I initially pwned my iPhone, I was coming up from a ziphoned 1.1.3. When I pwned it up to 2.0, things were great! I had Cydia up and running, signal, everything. Initially, I did the boot neuter here. But then, instead of syncing, I *accidentally* restored it to a previous state, which erased my Cydia, so I pwned it again.
2. Okay, at this point, things were still fine. Cydia was working. My phone was not randomly shutting off. However, I went through a series of Cydia upgrades.
3. Sometime after this, it started shutting off randomly. So, I figured my firmware might be a little funny, so I reran pwnage and this time used the "simple" instead of the "expert" build. Here, I did not bootneuter my iphone. I put that onto my phone, and it still continued to shut down for no reason.
4. I upgraded to the latest version of pwnage, reinstalled the custom firmware, used bootneuter again, and still it is shutting off for no reason.

So, that is where I stand now. I have cydia installed, upgraded to the latest version, and also custom ipsw made with pwnage 2.0.1. I tried everything that I could think of (including the battery...) to no avail.
So, any ideas are welcome! I greatly appreciate the super-sleuthing and excellent help that goes on in these forums. And I promise that I searched for this problem, and did not see anything. Thanks for all of your help in advance!

UPDATE on July 23, 2008: Okay, so, I restored to just the regular FW, and I am still experiencing the problem where my phone shuts off randomly after the screen goes dim. However, I also noticed that when my phone is plugged into a power source, even if the screen is locked, it does not randomly shut off. SO! I now suspect that the issue may be hardware related, and only coincidentally happened at the same time as the pwnage. Does anyone agree?

If I take it the Apple Store to be serviced, will they be able to tell that it had, at some point, been jailbroken, even if I now have it on the regular FW?

Thanks/

Last edited by MRemingtonB; 07-23-2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Update
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:16 PM
What's Jailbreak?

After you pawn restore etc and are in iTunes try not restoring from your old settings instead choose new user. i know you lose your contacts but write the down before you do this.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:06 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: T-Mobile 4 gig iphone 2.0
Operating System: windows vista build 6001

Just set up as a new phone. You won't loose your contacts. You just have to re sync, and everything will come back.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:50 PM
What's Jailbreak?

i am getting the same issue on a 8 gb upgraded from 1.12 >> 2.0. I have done most of same upgrading methods you have.

Thanks for your post.

jason
Old 07-24-2008, 06:35 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Hey Jason,

Thank you for your post. Your similar experience suggests to me that it is not, in fact, a coincidential hardware issue...
Any other modders got any advice? Anyone experienced this and fixed it?
I wonder if I couldn't bring it to the Apple Store and blame it on them, and then get a free new one out of it. Any ideas?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:51 AM
My iPhone is a Part of Me

Device + Firmware: 8GB iPhone - 2.0
Operating System: OS X 10.5.4 | Win XP
Send a message via MSN to MattMac Send a message via Yahoo to MattMac Send a message via Skype? to MattMac

Dude I have the same problem. So I'm guessing its a firmware issue... Maybe to do with the jailbreak method or even Cydia.
I have to reset the iPhone when it shuts itself off by holding the power and home button.
I restored my old setting... But I wouldn't relate it to that, or should I?

Thanks button there  Search at the topDonation here xD
Old 07-24-2008, 05:56 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Hey There MattMac,

Unfortunately, you may want to relate it to that, because I too restored to an old setting at some point before all of this went down. However, I think that I may have done something else to it before restoring to that old setting and the problem rearing up. Not sure though. Any progress?
Old 07-24-2008, 10:31 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: 8gp iphone 1.0.2 OTB currently 1.1.3 Tmobile
Operating System: XP/OSX

bump because i too am having this problem. phone was at 1.13 then went to 2.0 using pwnage didnt like cydia so remade the firmware with out cydia now i notice this random shut down.

I did restore the phone from back up not sure if thats whats causing it but i guess its not cydia since mine is doing it without cydia.
Any progress from anyone?
Old Yesterday, 12:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to MattMac Send a message via Yahoo to MattMac Send a message via Skype? to MattMac

@phishnchips, did you restore you back-up after the restore?

If this is the problem I'll just have to restore and loose my messages. I might as well start a fresh and scrap it all... but if its completely unrelated then I won't restore...

Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Hey MattMac,

I fresh restore to the official firmware won't help unfortunately. That was the last thing that I tried, and I still have this problem. So now I'm running the official 2.0 and am thinking about bringing it to the Apple Store and trying to blame it on them...
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: 8gp iphone 1.0.2 OTB currently 1.1.3 Tmobile
Operating System: XP/OSX

@matt yes i did restore my back up. check out this apple thread i found sounds like the same issue but on a virgin phone. Apple - Support - Discussions - Iphone randomly Shuts Off ...
Old Today, 01:26 AM

@MRemingtonB, Yeah, i restored, nothing different...

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > IPHONE > Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading > Pwnage

Tags
2.0, pwnage, trouble shooting