HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > IPHONE > Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading > Pwnage
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pwnage PwnageTool is a brilliant application which allows you to "pwn" your iPhone and allow it to accept custom firwares, which can be jailbroken/unlocked/etc. By the Dev Team.

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 11:44 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G
is everyone here just stupid or is jailbreaking really this risky?

inquiring minds wanna know!

got a 3G iphone....been debating whether to jailbreak or not ever since i got it (july 12th)

with all of these posts on the message board about probs and wifi issues and call issues.....

is pwning really this risky and potentially damaging or are most of these posts involving people not properly following directions?

thanks
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:57 PM
iPhoneaholic

Take a pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer View Post

got a 3G iphone....been debating whether to jailbreak or not ever since i got it (july 12th)

with all of these posts on the message board about probs and wifi issues and call issues.....

is pwning really this risky and potentially damaging or are most of these posts involving people not properly following directions?

thanks
If you're analyzing it for six weeks, you definitely should NOT JB your phone. Jailbreaking isn't for everyone and can certainly lead to problems (which you clearly already know).

The iPhone is amazing unbroken...enjoy it as is and avoid the stress.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 PM

Device + Firmware: 3G iPhone, FW2.01
Operating System: OSX Leopard
Send a message via Yahoo to Eurisko

Quote:

thanks
It's not a matter of not properly following directions. There are, and have been, real problems associated with Pwnage and QuickPwn. Some get fixed with updates, some get broken with updates. It's a gamble, and you have to be willing to put up with it if you want a modifiable phone.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:23 PM

Device + Firmware: Iphone 3G
Operating System: Windows XP

It's worth it in my opinion. I didn't know any thing about this stuff until i joined this website a year ago. But i took the risk and couldn't be any happier even when i screw up because i know i'm about tolearn how to fix it, only to learn even more. So i say give it a try.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:24 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.0
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5

i dont think it is risky at all... if something doesnt work out well, try it again until you get it right

i made it through the 2nd time with pawning... it was ok

Last edited by macciti; 08-28-2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Livin the iPhone Life

Device + Firmware: 3G 2.0.1
Operating System: XP

It's risky for the original poster, as it seems he would have issues sitting the right way round on the armitage shanks
Old 08-28-2008, 01:32 PM

Device + Firmware: Iphone 3G (White 16GB), Iphone 1.1.3 JAILBUSTED

If your really worried about it, use quickpwn...it's basically a 100% your NOT gonna brick the phone.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:39 PM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 2.0.2 (jailbroken)
Operating System: Windows XP & Vista

I believe a better description would be inconsistent results. More than once I needed to restore and re do a jailbreak. Mostly it was becasue I tried to shortcut something but other times I had followed the instructions to the letter. It may be true that a lot of folks dont follow directions or they misinterpret them. There are relatively few iphones truly permanently bricked.

Yes there are potential "dangers" but as Eurisko said, if you are that concerned you probably should not mess with your phone. If you cannot use it in its stock condition, you probably might be better off with a different phone.

It's much like when people drive their cars at high performance driving events, mess up and want their insurance to cover the damages. Most insurers exclude incidents that occur on racetracks. So often when people bang their car up they whine about no insurance. My philosophy is that either they pushed a bit too hard and exceeded the limits (there are those like that) in which case if they cant afford the damamge they need to kick it down a notch. On the side of mechanical failures causing an incident, that can't be controlled but one needs to be aware that it can and does happen. in that case if you can't afford the damages out of pocket, you better think twice before participating.

As far as the iPhone, a good rule of thumb is to have a spare phone to throw your sim into in an emergency if you cannot afford to be without a phone and don't try anything new if you are leaving the next day to go out of town. Most of the time things go smoothly but its not a perfect process.

Modding your iPhone is inherently dangerous. No tutorial can cover every nuance or issue you may encounter. There is no substitute for following instructions carefully, using various search functions here and elsewhere (GOOGLE). If you can't afford to brick it, proceed with great caution. Modding is at your own risk.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:08 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
It's not a matter of not properly following directions. There are, and have been, real problems associated with Pwnage and QuickPwn. Some get fixed with updates, some get broken with updates. It's a gamble, and you have to be willing to put up with it if you want a modifiable phone.
so is it just completely random that person A who follows the instructions perfectly has zero probs while person B who does the same has probs?

how come only some people are encountering probs when the majority are not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcrash View Post
If you're analyzing it for six weeks, you definitely should NOT JB your phone. Jailbreaking isn't for everyone and can certainly lead to problems (which you clearly already know).

The iPhone is amazing unbroken...enjoy it as is and avoid the stress.
not really analyzing for the past 6 weeks, more like fully acclimating to the entire process before diving in. i consider myself a knowledgable, informed user and just want to have my bases covered before jailbreaking

Last edited by lazer; 08-28-2008 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 PM

Device + Firmware: Iphone 3G (White 16GB), Iphone 1.1.3 JAILBUSTED

Most of the software used to perform "jailbreaking" is buggy. Its not quarenteed and always "use at your own risk".

Thats just how it goes when your "hacking" something that wasnt meant to be. You just have to weigh it out, is it worth the chance or not. If you read and understand what you are doing first and do it properly there is only a very small chance you will break something beyond repair.

I have done it more times than I can count, on more phones than I can count without problems. Maybe a little issue here or there that I was able to easily fix.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: White iPhone 3G 01.45.00
Operating System: Mac OSX Leopard & Vista 64-bit

Quote:
so is it just completely random that person A who follows the instructions perfectly has zero probs while person B who does the same has probs?

how come only some people are encountering probs when the majority are not?
The same reason why some iPhones are defective and some aren't. It just happens. It could be that specific person has a defective device that reacted differently to a mod.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:19 PM
My iPhone is a Part of Me

Device + Firmware: 2.0 3G White 16gig
Operating System: XP,Vista,Ubuntu
Send a message via AIM to pokekid

i have unlocked and jailbroken phones since firmware 1.0.? and never have had a problem i could not fix. it is definately an experience learning to deal with problems that may arise and jailbreaking is definately not for everyone. most problems are easily fixed and its takes a lot to really brick your phone from ever working again
i would say try it to see if you really like it or not and then decide again when the new firmware comes out.

AT&T 16 gig White 2.0.1 =]
Old 08-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Mod of the year 2008

Device + Firmware: None!
Operating System: OS X Leopard 10.5.4 + Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
It's risky for the original poster, as it seems he would have issues sitting the right way round on the armitage shanks
lol I think I'm the only one that got that...be kind, redcard.
iPhone 2G firmware here

The Following User Says Thank You to dale1v For This Useful Post:
redcard (08-28-2008)
Old 08-28-2008, 03:12 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: Iphone 3g, FW2.0,1 Jailbroke & Heavily Moded
Operating System: PC running Win XP, 2.7gig Quad Core Liquid Cooled + Laptop/Tablet Acer C302XMI

I f you create a custom firmware and upgrade with iTunes it's very straight forward. And 99 times out of a 100 you can always put your iPhone in DFU and restore again if you have a problem.

My advice would be don't rush to upgrade when a new firmare release comes out, wait to see if there are any issues, and secondly read, read and read the forums and tutorials so you are 100% sure you know what you are doing.

I've jailbroke, unlocked 1st gen iPhone with no problems, I've had to restore one time when phone got stuck in contious loop at boot up.

I've jailbroke my 3g twice first with FW2.0,0 and then with FW2.0,2 I'm curently waiting for winpwn to jailbrake FW2.0,2 as I want to change partition size and don't want to update baseband.

I think jailbraking as got a he'll of a lot safer since Pwnage tool and Winpwn + FW1.1,4 and FW2.0x and you rarely if at all hear of anyone bricking there iPhones anymore.

That's my opinion on things.

IphoneCrazy

*that should be FW2.0,0 and FW2.0,1

Last edited by Real_Iphonecrazy; 08-28-2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-29-2008, 10:05 AM
What's Jailbreak?

thanks for all the replies guys, i really appreciate it

what's with all of these posts about wifi probs after pwning?

any of you ever encounter any of these probs?

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > IPHONE > Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading > Pwnage