HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch > Media > Ringtone / Alert Sounds
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ringtone / Alert Sounds For discussion and sharing of ringtones and alet sounds like sms, voicemail, etc.

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 01:48 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone v1
advanced ringtone question

Hey all. Here's what I want to do: create a sound for the iPhone (mine is v1) which can be used for the alarm, which is about 10 minutes long. The idea is that I want to make an alarm clock that will wake me up gradually. What I've been doing to make ringtones in the past is making .aac files and renaming them .m4r which has worked like a charm thus far. I can do the same thing with this 10 minute file and iTunes seems to recognize it, but when I click on my iPhone and go to the ringtones tab, it won't appear there. There's no checkbox to click, no name, nothing. It's like it doesn't exist as far as the iPhone knows. It's still present in the iTunes ringtone library, but it isn't in the phone's. What am I doing wrong? The file size is below 3.1MB which I heard was the limit for what it will accept. Somewhere else, I read that there is a 40 second time limit as well. Is this true? If so, is there any way to get around it? What am I missing here?
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:06 PM

Device + Firmware: 3G iPhone, FW2.01
Operating System: OSX Leopard
Send a message via Yahoo to Eurisko

Yes there is a time limit, either 30 or 40 seconds. What you can do is save your sound as a .caf file instead, and place it in /System/Library/Audio/UISounds if you want to use it as an alert.
gloveofpower (08-26-2008)
Old 08-26-2008, 04:50 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone v1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
Yes there is a time limit, either 30 or 40 seconds. What you can do is save your sound as a .caf file instead, and place it in /System/Library/Audio/UISounds if you want to use it as an alert.
yessss! You are the man. So there is a way to do it then. Please excuse my ignorance; how do I gain access to the folder you mentioned? Is it possible to do it without jailbreaking the phone? I have avoided jailbreaking thus far and I would like to keep avoiding it if possible... otherwise I have a lot of reading to do =)

Also, I assume I can make a .caf file just by making the .aac and renaming the file extension like I have been doing with the .m4r?

Thanks oodles for your help.
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:11 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Operating System: Windows XP | Mac OSX | Ubuntu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloveofpower View Post
yessss! You are the man. So there is a way to do it then. Please excuse my ignorance; how do I gain access to the folder you mentioned? Is it possible to do it without jailbreaking the phone? I have avoided jailbreaking thus far and I would like to keep avoiding it if possible... otherwise I have a lot of reading to do =)

Also, I assume I can make a .caf file just by making the .aac and renaming the file extension like I have been doing with the .m4r?

Thanks oodles for your help.
You'll need to jailbreak since you need to ssh to get to that particular folder.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:07 PM

Device + Firmware: 3G iPhone, FW2.01
Operating System: OSX Leopard
Send a message via Yahoo to Eurisko

Yes, unfortunately you would have to jailbreak to make the mods necessary. But, if you don't want to jailbreak, there's a 99 cent program on the AppStore called Ambiance. With this proggy you can play several different sounds, with alarm, and there's a "Fade to Max" feature as well, which is what you're looking for.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:35 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Operating System: Windows XP | Mac OSX | Ubuntu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
Yes, unfortunately you would have to jailbreak to make the mods necessary. But, if you don't want to jailbreak, there's a 99 cent program on the AppStore called Ambiance. With this proggy you can play several different sounds, with alarm, and there's a "Fade to Max" feature as well, which is what you're looking for.
White noise for ultimate wake up tool.

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch > Media > Ringtone / Alert Sounds