HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Free 3G iPhone Contest!
Unlocked Cell Phones

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch > Media > Ringtone / Alert Sounds
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ringtone / Alert Sounds For discussion and sharing of ringtones and alet sounds like sms, voicemail, etc.

Work Opportunities at MMi - updated 6/29/08 | Discuss AppStore Apps!

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 01:03 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Custom Text Message Notification Sounds

I was wondering how you get custom text message alerts on your iPhone, i've searched and the only thing i found was people having problems with it.

Currently using 1.1.4 unlocked/jailbreak.

I have the sound on my computer as a .wav file
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:18 PM
What's Jailbreak?

I am 1.1.3 jailbroken and I used Ipone pcsuite but you have to change the file to a

.caf for the phone to recognize it, restart and vola!
The Following User Says Thank You to bottlefedsi For This Useful Post:
cstaff23 (05-02-2008)
Old 03-24-2008, 02:00 PM
What's Jailbreak?

okie dokie! I'll give it a try right now

Wat do you use exactly in PC Suite to make it display as an option for text alert?

Well i went to themes -> SMS Alert 1 -> picked MetalGear.caf

Loaded then restarted. When i go to Settings -> Sounds -> New TXMSG

its not displayed but the first alert doesnt work anymore.

Last edited by KoshiLe; 03-24-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: 16 GB iPhone running 1.1.4
Operating System: Mac OSX Leapord

I've tried to make this work through Customize and have been unsuccessful.

However, I have made my own SMS sounds work, here's how:

1) Convert the sound you would like to use to a .caf (I use Switch on my Mac to do this, it's free)

2) Use CyberDuck (Mac) or WinSCP (Windows) to access your iPhone's file system. There are some great threads on here about how to do this, but here's how to do it:
a. go to Settings -> Wi-Fi -> click on the blue arrow to the left of the wireless network you're connected to, look at the IP Address listed
b. open a connection in CyberDuck or WinSCP using the IP Address you just found
c. The username will be "root" and the password will be "alpine"
3) Once you're in, go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds
4) Scroll down to the sms-received1.caf through sms-received6.caf, these are the various SMS Notification sounds, simply adding a file to this directory will not put it in the list on the phone.
5) You need to replace one of those sms-received.caf files with your sound, keeping the same name, just a new sound. It will then appear in the SMS Sound list as the same sound name it was originally, so if you replace what used to be the "Horn" sound with a new sound, you still click on "Horn" to set that sound.

I've done this with a few different sounds and it works flawlessly. The best part is, you don't need a third party application to do this. You can also do this to add ringtones to your phone for free (although it's a different directory you add them to), or change any other system sound you would like. Fully customizable!

Let me know if you have any problems or need any more help. "Thank" me if this works for you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThirstyTurtle For This Useful Post:
cstaff23 (05-02-2008), eyelyn20 (06-11-2008), J Giron (Yesterday), JuanKi (06-17-2008), tattoojack (06-20-2008)
Old 03-24-2008, 06:02 PM
What's Jailbreak?

i will be sure to try this and thank you for a very detailed write up! I will "thank" you as soon as i get this going!

Thanks again for your time.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Green Apple

whoops, Switch doesn't convert to .caf, I actually converted it to .aiff and then when I put it back in the folder, I renamed it "sms-received4.caf", and when Mac OSx asked me if I wanted to "keep .aiff or use .caf", I chose to use .caf. This worked just fine for me. However, if you have access to a .caf converter, you might as well just do that, but either way will work just so you know. You're welcome for the write-up, let me know if you have any problems.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:25 AM
What's Jailbreak?

so my new sound would be renamed "Horn.caf" if i was replacing the "horn" sound for a text?

I entered the host name as my IP connecting through port 22.

Used your user id and pass... and it says connection refused.

Last edited by KoshiLe; 03-25-2008 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Green Apple

ok, make sure you use "SFTP (SSH Secure File Transfer)" as the protocol and that you aren't capitalizing "root" for the username or "alpine" for the password. Also, are you sure that you are connected to the wireless network that you pulled the IP Address from on your phone? You might have chosen the wrong network or something. Does that fix that?

The new sound would be replacing one of the "stock" sounds, so it would carry the same name of "sms-received1.caf" or 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Each of those 6 files (you'll see when you get in the directory) corresponds to one of the sounds you see on your iPhone SMS Text message sound list, for instance, "sms-received4.caf" is the sound file for "Horn", I don't know what the other ones correspond to however, sorry. So it would not be named Horn.caf, but "sms-received4.caf" if you wanted to replace the Horn sound, but it will still be called "Horn" on your phone when you go to set it. Does that clarify things for you? Let me know.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:09 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Yeah my SSID for my Wi-fi are both correct on my iPhone. Iam typing my IP Address on my iPhone as the Host name. Here is a screen shot of my IP for WinSCP

[img=http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/4892/winspep2.th.jpg]
Old 03-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Green Apple

O wow, I feel so dumb for missing one of the most important instructions.

Before I told you to do anything else, I should have told you to install "BSD Subsystem" and "OpenSSH" through "Installer". Both of which are under "System" on the installer list. Once you do that, do everything else I told you, soft-reset the phone after you install those two things first though (turn off and back on).

I REALLY hope this fixes the problem for you, I'm 99% sure it will because everything looks fine in your screenshot. Let me know.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:06 PM
What's Jailbreak?

ah that would make alot of sense lol.. i was wondering how it was going to connect to the iphone.... lol. I'll give it a short.

I think this where my worries begin... bc i had MAJOR issues installing BSD subsystem... it says the package must be instaled first.. and i have no idea where thats listed.

Last edited by KoshiLe; 03-25-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Green Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshiLe View Post
ah that would make alot of sense lol.. i was wondering how it was going to connect to the iphone.... lol. I'll give it a short.

I think this where my worries begin... bc i had MAJOR issues installing BSD subsystem... it says the package must be instaled first.. and i have no idea where thats listed.
It says what package has to be installed? I think you might have to install Launcher as well? Try installing launcher, then BSD, then OpenSSH. Let me know.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:14 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: Iphone

good info guys, thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 04:23 AM
Green Apple

You can change the name in the SMS ringtone list by following my mini guide...

Changing the SMS ringtone names in your iPhone
Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Last edited by OonaMarie; 04-02-2008 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch > Media > Ringtone / Alert Sounds