We Can Spell
Register HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links
iPhone Version | Regular Browser

Go Back   ModMyiFone.com - Apple iPhone forum, iPhone hacking, iPhone mods, and more > 3rd Party Apps > Native iPhone App Discussion
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Native iPhone App Discussion Discussion regarding Native iPhone apps.

Make sure to check out our Web App Bookmarking Application from your iPhone!

ModMyiFone now has an Installer source.
View Poll Results: Summerboard or iSwitcher???
Summerboard 255 73.91%
iSwitch 13 3.77%
I use both 77 22.32%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2007, 08:10 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Summerboard or iSwitcher

Can someone PLEASE tell me the difference between these two apps? also please let me know your thoughts on the two and why you use the one you do.

Thanks in advance.

Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Green Apple

This is not an either/or proposition. I use both, and need both because I have some apps I want text names for and some I don't, and the way SB changes icons is by the displayed app name (not actual app name, like iSwitcher). So, for swapping icons I use iSwitcher, for everything else (backgrounds, etc) I use SummerBoard - it's faster.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:33 PM

I just use SummerBoard, and SSH to do stuff manually.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:24 PM
iPhoneaholic

iSwitcher was a great idea, but the integration of all the summerboard features and how quickly you can change apps with it, i don't see the need for iSwitcher at all sorry greg no hard feelings
Old 09-19-2007, 12:21 AM

No worries... I too thought iSwitcher was dust after using SummerBoard 2.1... but now I find myself using it more... Let's say you want a Leopard theme with Prado icons. Can't do that with just SummerBoard (until someone releases the 64,000 theme combinations it would take ) but you can do it with both SummerBoard and iSwitcher. Load the icons with iSwitcher and set the theme to Leopard in SummerBoard (if the SummerBoard theme has icons, turn them off to see the iSwitcher icons).

What if you want a custom dock, the iTouch icons (iSwitcher theme) and the Panther theme? Well then you need to use, iSwitcher, SummerBoard and DockSwap...

My personal favorite is my Earthlight SummerBoard theme (no icons) with blueStone... or wait maybe it's Prado iSwitcher w/Woodpanel SummerBoard theme

I don't support unlocked phones
---------------iPhone Links, check 'em out-------------------
iSwitcher | iSwitcher FAQ | Add Installer 3.0 Source | AppLaunchers | Installer Source

Last edited by CyberGreg : 09-19-2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:52 AM
iPhoneaholic

never thought about it like that, lemme give it another try!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:45 AM

ya but greg all you got to do is dump all those icons or docks in a folder on your iphone. Then use finder to copy or move the icons into a new themes folder you can create with finder, a lot of possibilities
Old 09-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Green Apple

I use both also. Perfect harmony
Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:MirrorminD:. View Post
ya but greg all you got to do is dump all those icons or docks in a folder on your iphone. Then use finder to copy or move the icons into a new themes folder you can create with finder, a lot of possibilities
Indeed as I said, if you want 64,000 SummerBoard themes, go for it. I prefer to use both and have a huge combination to choose from and not have a "15 flick page" of SummerBoard themes. To use three different docks with the same iconsets, you'd need three separate SummerBoard themes..

I just need three docks and can use them with any icon set I want.

iSwitcher | iSwitcher FAQ | Add Installer 3.0 Source | AppLaunchers | Installer Source
Old 09-19-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGreg View Post
Indeed as I said, if you want 64,000 SummerBoard themes, go for it. I prefer to use both and have a huge combination to choose from and not have a "15 flick page" of SummerBoard themes. To use three different docks with the same iconsets, you'd need three separate SummerBoard themes..

I just need three docks and can use them with any icon set I want.
Touche
Old 09-20-2007, 03:41 AM
Green Apple

I think these are both great apps but what works for me is using iLauncher + iSwap + iSwitcher all together. Theses apps can also be easily customized to fit your needs & they have really helped me to stay organized.

My Theme page always contains the iLauncher.
I select the iLauncher which brings me to the scrolling Dock that only contains only 3 iSwap apps Screens (Apps - Games - Utilities) + iSwitcher.

Now if I want a page with just Apps, I pick Apps Screen icon from my iLauncher Dock or if I want just Games I pick the Games Screen icon from my iLauncher Dock.

And so what is cool is I keep the same Dock for each screen i'm on so I can easly go back to Home - Apps - Games - Utilities or iSwitcher when I want to change my Theme.

I found that this keeps me organized as much as possible due to the many great apps that keep coming out each day.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0haan View Post
I think these are both great apps but what works for me is using iLauncher + iSwap + iSwitcher all together. Theses apps can also be easily customized to fit your needs & they have really helped me to stay organized.

My Theme page always contains the iLauncher.
I select the iLauncher which brings me to the scrolling Dock that only contains only 3 iSwap apps Screens (Apps - Games - Utilities) + iSwitcher.
YES Now that's why iLauncher was created - very nice! I mean if you just use it to replace Launcher, why, it's slower. But you can customize iLauncher to only show the app you want. Nice, I knew I wasn't the only one that wanted this feature

Sorry... back on topic.

One more thing iSwitcher does, or rather doesn't do... it won't ever fsck up your phone. I can not say the same about SummerBoard. I've restored many times to test my apps and while you can break iSwitcher and it won't swap icons, your phone still works just fine. Just last night, working on a problem with Breezy. Restored, got all my mods back installed (2 clicks, more on that later ) I went to Installer and loaded BSD, Dock and SummerBoard. Restarted my phone and got the WBOD (White Blinds of Death). This is now the third time I've seen this problem and I can tell you the first time was when I uninstalled SummerBoard 1.2 or 1.3

Old 09-20-2007, 12:30 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Let's say you want a Leopard theme with Prado icons. Can't do that with just SummerBoard (until someone releases the 64,000 theme combinations it would take ) but you can do it with both SummerBoard and iSwitcher. Load the icons with iSwitcher and set the theme to Leopard in SummerBoard (if the SummerBoard theme has icons, turn them off to see the iSwitcher icons).
I'd like it if iSwitcher did all the theme stuff and Summerboard allowed you to customize everything individually rather than turning stuff on/off.

So you'd load your favorite theme using iSwitcher (I love how you can preview them). Then, in Summerboard, you could choose a different wallpaper or icon set or whatever. That way, you could create any combination you wanted.

It would also be cool if you could save a configuration you liked as a new theme.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopz View Post
So you'd load your favorite theme using iSwitcher (I love how you can preview them).
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopz View Post

It would also be cool if you could save a configuration you liked as a new theme.
iSwitcher installs the capability to create iSwitcher themes from your current configuration. It's a command line utility, MakeTheme (for now )

Old 09-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Green Apple

never got to use iswitcher... i never saw it on installer...and never fiqured out how to add apps manually threw jailbreak =[ so im stuck with the themes that come out threw installer...lol

ModMyiFone.com - Apple iPhone forum, iPhone hacking, iPhone mods, and more > 3rd Party Apps > Native iPhone App Discussion

MMi Wiki / Guides

MMi Downloads

MMi Apps Directory

MMi Apps Directory (iPhone formatted)

MMi Wallpaper Gallery