HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > IPHONE > AT&T
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AT&T Discussion regarding AT&T specific topics.

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 PM
What's Jailbreak?

AT&T Sent Threatening Text Message

Just got this message this morning:

Quote:
AT&T Free Msg: iPhone 3G requires a data plan. Please call 611 to add or AT&T will add a data plan to your account within 24 hours.
I purchased an unactivated iPhone and put a GoPhone Pay As You Go SIM card in it, and purchased the $20/mo unlimited internet package... I quickly checked to see if my 3G internet still worked and it did...

Anyone else get this message whether on PrePay or not? I'm not sure what exactly they would "add" to my account, since on a prepay account, there is no option for the "iPhone Data Plan"
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewBucklin For This Useful Post:
shadowck5000 (07-28-2008)
Old 07-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Green Apple

LOL.... Sweet!!! What do you plan to do? Keep us posted. I'd be really interested in knowing what they think they can do on a pay as you go plan.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:49 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Well, for safe measure, I just have the phone in airplane mode right now, in case they try to ping my phone and see what phone I have or something... Ya, I'm not really sure what they will be able to do, at least on a PayAsYouGo SIM, since they have no way of billing me if my account balance is really low.. Right now I only have $14 in my account. I only refill my account each month when I need to buy another month of $20 unlimited internet. I do not use the iPhone for texting or calling.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:54 PM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G White (Pwned)
Operating System: MacBook Pro OSX
Send a message via Yahoo to SundayDuffer

I had the first Gen and was on the $20 plan (plus $10 for 1500 sms). I traded my first Gen with a friend for the 3G. Popped in my SIM...works like a charm...3G signal good...and still on the $30 data plan...NO threatening sms from ATT yet. i hope not.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:19 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Odd. I would have thought people like you, or people who had a SIM from a regular phone with MediaMax Unlimited on it would have also gotten the text message as well. Am I the only one? lol. Maybe it's region based... I am in San Antonio, TX right now... Will be traveling back home to VA on Monday... Hmmmmmmm....
Old 07-25-2008, 05:06 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 16GB White
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.4

what can they do? I guess maybe block your account?
Old 07-27-2008, 04:23 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Well, it's been more than 24 hours, and everything is still working fine...
Old 07-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.0 JB
Operating System: Vista
Send a message via AIM to shadowck5000

thanks for this help, so I'm not scared of ATTs 24 hour threat, but I would like to know exactilly what you do to get 3G data only/prepay. Even if it's $30,$40 a month cua all I do Is Internet. Also anyone got more on changing the phones ID thing so they think it's a crappy 3G flip?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:46 AM

Device + Firmware: 3G iPhone, FW2.01
Operating System: OSX Leopard
Send a message via Yahoo to Eurisko

Not really sure how that message constitutes a "threat". Maybe if it said, get a data plan or we're coming to your house to break your legs....

Can you use EDGE right now?
Old 07-28-2008, 07:33 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowck5000 View Post
thanks for this help, so I'm not scared of ATTs 24 hour threat, but I would like to know exactilly what you do to get 3G data only/prepay. Even if it's $30,$40 a month cua all I do Is Internet. Also anyone got more on changing the phones ID thing so they think it's a crappy 3G flip?
All I did was but a prepay phone, activated it, and added money to the account. Purchased the $20 "unlimited internet" which lasts a month. Put the SIM card in my new 3G iPhone and I'm just careful not to make any calls from it ($0.25 per minute is killer!) --I have another phone with Verizon that I use to make calls through my work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
Not really sure how that message constitutes a "threat". Maybe if it said, get a data plan or we're coming to your house to break your legs....

Can you use EDGE right now?
lol. Ya. --As far as EDGE, I'm sure I can access it as well... I've been in San Antonio all week, which has 3G coverage, and it is still working just fine....

Last edited by AndrewBucklin; 07-28-2008 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-28-2008, 07:41 AM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

I called att as my pay as you go credit was being eaten by the egde charge I thourght I had turned off ( due to the 2.0 firmware update) I told them I don't know where my credit had gone.
They accessed my account and told me I had an iPhone!!! I have never set up a proper account with them and some how they knew I was on an iPhone. I told the AT&T guy that I did not want this service on my first gen iPhone, and it never worked anyways (true) and he turn it off this service for me, all I had to do was tell him my phone ime number. And they added 12 bucks on my account for wasted Internet charges.
AT&T have either gone soft or just don't care about people with first ten iPhone. If it ain't got 3g on it and they can't charge you stupid money for have "fast" internet in your pocket you aint worth ****.
Thanks att.
Can't connect to egde at all and had not other issues since this happen.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:48 AM
What's Jailbreak?

That makes sense. I bet they're scared of the 3G network becoming over saturated. --But why would you want an iPhone with no data plan? :-(

--So you actually had the AT&T guy completely disable EDGE internet for your account? I wonder if they can do the same for me with text messages. I get random texts from people, and it eats up my account balance... :-(
Old 07-28-2008, 08:45 AM
My iPhone is a Part of Me

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.0.1 pwned
Operating System: windows xp

i can disable text from the website login but im tmobile, but im sure at&t can do the same. actually im positive they can.

but i know a lot of people without edge data, its so slow they can't stand it. i jus pick what i want and set it on my lap while im doing something n poke back to see if it finished loading yet lol. some people don't have the patience. wifi usually suites them, but if ur not around wifi, i don't see the point of having an iphone
Old 07-30-2008, 04:37 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Yeah for some reason

I have 3 iphone 3G lines, and all of them are not on the iphone 3G data plan (they are all on the old iphone 1st gen 20.00 plan)..

only 1 of the iphone 3G got the AT&T text message saying that you need an iphone 3G data plan, and the other two didn't.

the question is, if all my lines are on iphone data plan (technically i mean its an iphone, and its on iphone data plan) just not 3G plan. i don't see anything wrong with that, it's not like i'm using media max plan.

didn't AT&T put out a fine print where, (previous iphone owners, when upgrade to the iphone 3G will able to keep their current 20.00 data plan and don't have to upgrade to the 30.00 data plan?)

what do you guys think?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.0 JB
Operating System: Vista
Send a message via AIM to shadowck5000

That keeping the $20 would be nice because well my SIM says 3G. That info you gave was nice to know because loosing 200 texts and paying $10 is not cool.

Need more help? feel free to PM me. .Want iPhone's bluetooth to do more? Visit Click the image to open in full size. To help make it happen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowck5000 For This Useful Post:
dirrtydude (08-15-2008), roy4423 (08-05-2008)

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > IPHONE > AT&T