HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Go Back   ModMyiFone.com | iPhone forums, iPhone hacks, iPhone unlock > IPHONE > AT&T
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AT&T Discussion regarding AT&T specific topics.

iPhone Optimized MMi | Browser Optimized MMi

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

Opportunities at MMi | 1.1.4 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: 1.1.3 Jailbroken iPhone
Current AT&T customer with iPhone questions

Hey guys, I currently have AT&T and I'm on a Family Plan with my mom and my girl friend. I'm looking to get an iPhone very soon. Obviously I'm trying to get the best price I can. I've been looking around on eBay and Craigslist and of course know I can get one from the Cingular store across the street .

The questions I have are:

I've read a few things about needing a SIM that works with the iPhone specifically. Since I have AT&T if I were to buy a phone that's already activated should I be able to just pop my SIM card in and use the phone? (I will be adding a Data Plan to my bill once I get the phone of course)

As far as the Data Plan goes......With me being on a FT Plan am I the only one who gets the unlimited data or do the other lines on the plan get it as well. The reason I ask that is because my girlfriend is also going to get an iPhone.

I think that's about it for now Thanks for reading and please don't flame me too much :P
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:21 AM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4 (jailbroken)
Operating System: Windows XP & Vista

Each iPhone on a family plan has its own data plan. It cannot be shared.

If you are going to activate it on ATT why bother paying more to buy a phone on e-Bay? I was looking there last week before my son bought his and they were all selling for more than retail (for the most part, mostly because they are unlocked which you do not need).
If its your contact you are concerned about in wanting to just pop your SIM in, if your phone now can back up its phonebook to your pc, you can then import it into Outlook and then iTunes will sync it to your iPhone. You can also do this if you have an address book on a Palm pilot. I imported the Palm file into Outlook. I believe you can also do this if you have a Motorola Razr maybe other models. You can save your phone book to Motorola Phone Tools to import into Outlook.
The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:
Loyalty (02-08-2008)
Old 02-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Green Apple

Yeah I am only looking on eBay to see if I can by chance score one for cheaper. I won't be paying over $430 for a brand new phone (the AT&T store in my area always has them in stock).....hell for that matter I've thought about buying an iPhone and putting it on eBay to make a little more scratch

As far as the unlock I'm not really worried about that, the only thing I'd like it for is so I can by pass the 2 year agreement.

As far as my contacts.....I've got the 8125 now so all my contacts are in Outlook so once I get the phone I'll just let it sync

Thanks for answering the Data plan question, now if I buy an iPhone that is activated can I just put my regular (3G) SIM into it or is there an actual SIM for the iPhone that I'll need? I'm guessing I can just pop the SIM in but I want to be sure first.

Last edited by Loyalty : 02-08-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Green Apple

Damn double posts

Last edited by Loyalty : 02-08-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Damn double posts :mad:
Old 02-08-2008, 05:07 PM

It comes with a new sim that you need to use to activate. No 3G on iphone.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Green Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
It comes with a new sim that you need to use to activate. No 3G on iphone.
I know there's no 3G on the iPhone but will my current SIM still allow the phone to work (ie make calls, etc).
Old 02-09-2008, 02:07 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.1

I am leaving the country very shortly and am looking to sign over my contract so that I do not have to pay and early termination fee. This is a win-win for you and I since you wont start at 2 year contract and will have a contract that is about 1.5 years. I started mine on launch day (6.29.2007), you will not get a discount on the phone for signing a new contract so I think it is in both of our interests to sign over my contract. The monthly prices are currently the same, I do not think you can add it do your family plan, I think you would have to re up for another two years. Let me know what you think.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:38 AM
Green Apple

I don't need a new contract (or to take over one) since I already have AT&T. I'm just needing to bypass the iTunes activation (which I think I've found out how through these forums). I appreciate it but no thanks.

Plus worse case scenario I'll just activate it through iTunes....I've been with them for probably 6 years now and actually enjoy the coverage .

.....However if you're interested in selling your iPhone PM me the details (4 or 8GB?, price etc)
Old 02-09-2008, 07:43 AM

I believe if you want to bypass iTunes activation you will have to unlock? Try and search for info regarding ATT and pay as you go sims. The method might also work for what you want to do.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Livin the iPhone Life

Send a message via AIM to DoerrFan

You can pop in your old AT&T SIM and activate off that. And to bypass 2 year contract you just jailbreak and use iAsign (i think)

SEARCH BEFORE POSTING

ModMyiFone.com | iPhone forums, iPhone hacks, iPhone unlock > IPHONE > AT&T