HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > iPhone Modding > Unlocking / Activation
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unlocking / Activation Everything about unlocking and activation.

MMi Super Contest | 30 winners! Over $1500 in Prizes! Enter Today!

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: 3G Iphone - 2.0
Operating System: Windows Vista
Rebel Simcard...?

Ok guys im thinking of getting this to unlock my 3G iphone. Has anyone here got it? If so are you happy with it or has it caused you any pain?

One question i do have about it is this, On their site they say you should buy their rebel cutter to cut your sim card, Is it needed or can you do it yourself? Im thinking that they may just be saying that to get more money out of you...

Thanks
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:48 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: 1.1.4
Operating System: OS X 10.5
Rebel SIM Card

I was wondering the same thing. There isn't much in the way of independent feedback on this product. It seems almost too good to be true.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Green Apple

Anyone? I really need some advice on this cause there is one finishing very soon and i dont know if i should go for it.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:02 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig02 View Post
Anyone? I really need some advice on this cause there is one finishing very soon and i dont know if i should go for it.
Maybe you've already checked...
[*Sim] [3G] Results from data observation - Stay away from *sim solutions. - Hackint0sh
Old 08-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Green Apple

Well guys i decided to just go for it, So i will post back once i have it to let you know what i think
Old 08-08-2008, 02:41 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iphone 3G
Operating System: mac 10.5.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig02 View Post
Ok guys im thinking of getting this to unlock my 3G iphone. Has anyone here got it? If so are you happy with it or has it caused you any pain?

One question i do have about it is this, On their site they say you should buy their rebel cutter to cut your sim card, Is it needed or can you do it yourself? Im thinking that they may just be saying that to get more money out of you...

Thanks
DON'T DO IT. I bought a locked 3G iphone, ordered the rebel sim cutter (only because it came with another adapter card and extra O2 sim as well as rebel sim adapter, in a package - a hole puncher does exactly the same thing). Despite following the instructions and videos, it failed to work. Better yet, the sim tray is stuck, impossible to remove (plastic broke inside phone, outside case scratched). Their online help was rude and not useful. No support whatsoever.

I work in telecoms, am technically competent, and now I'm kicking myself for going for the dodgy quick fix instead of heeding the dev team guys who will surely unlock the baseband shortly. In fact, I'm kicking myself for wasting a lot of dosh on the 3G when I could have got a first generation iphone until the unlock solution was sorted.

Not very happy and the rebel people were really odious. Don't go there...

PS. If anyone knows how to open the iphone 3G casing, let me know. Otherwise it's off to Apple. Warranty is already stuffed, have spent more dosh ordering a new sim tray from the states, all I want to do now is get the rebel crap and sim card out of the phone.

Last edited by ducati girl; 08-08-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Green Apple

Could not agree more, Complete and utter piece of crap, Avoid at all costs, Luckily mine never got stuck but i tried three sims, Orange, Vodaphone and Virgin every one failed and got no signal. So everyone keep away from it also their online help staff are very arrogant to. Luckily i am able to get a refund on this crap
Old 08-12-2008, 07:28 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: 1.1.4
Operating System: OS X 10.5

Hi all,

I currently have the rebelsimcard stuck inside my 3G SIM slot too. The only good news about it is that for the time being it is working. I'm going to try and open up the iPhone case and push the SIM out from the inside (already mangled the exterior of the SIM tray)

Gonna follow these directions to get it open: iPhone 3G Take-Apart-Guide

You'll need a phillips head screw driver size 00 to remove the bottom 2 screws. Picking my screwdriver up tonight. Good luck!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:10 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iphone 3G 2.0.1
Operating System: Windows XP
Don't buy a Rebel Sim Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati girl View Post
DON'T DO IT. I bought a locked 3G iphone, ordered the rebel sim cutter (only because it came with another adapter card and extra O2 sim as well as rebel sim adapter, in a package - a hole puncher does exactly the same thing). Despite following the instructions and videos, it failed to work. Better yet, the sim tray is stuck, impossible to remove (plastic broke inside phone, outside case scratched). Their online help was rude and not useful. No support whatsoever.

I work in telecoms, am technically competent, and now I'm kicking myself for going for the dodgy quick fix instead of heeding the dev team guys who will surely unlock the baseband shortly. In fact, I'm kicking myself for wasting a lot of dosh on the 3G when I could have got a first generation iphone until the unlock solution was sorted.

Not very happy and the rebel people were really odious. Don't go there...

PS. If anyone knows how to open the iphone 3G casing, let me know. Otherwise it's off to Apple. Warranty is already stuffed, have spent more dosh ordering a new sim tray from the states, all I want to do now is get the rebel crap and sim card out of the phone.
I couldn't agree more. I bought a Rebel Sim Card through a U.S. reseller (mooglex.com) and have had a similar but less traumatic experience. The Sim Card adapter has a CRITICAL design flaw because it becomes stuck in the tray. I was ultimately able to pry it open, although my tray doesn't open/close well anymore (it doesn't pop out when I push a paper clip in; instead, I kinda have to pull it out).
To add insult to injury, the seller has not responded to my emails for a refund (despite a 15-day moneyback "guarantee"). Serves me right for trying to offend Steve Jobs.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: Legally Unlocked 16gb 3G IPHONE
Operating System: Windows 98SE

yeh i had a simular problem with another simcard hack
my simtray got stuck inside the phone it would only pop out a few mm
i ended up just ripping it out with my teeth breaking the simtray but atleast i could get the POS simcard out of my phone
had to order a new simtray from china should be here in a few days hopefully
STAY AWAY FROM THESE CRAAPY SIM CARD HACKS
Old 08-13-2008, 02:52 PM
What's Jailbreak?

It does what it says on the tin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FramedTrash View Post
yeh i had a simular problem with another simcard hack
my simtray got stuck inside the phone it would only pop out a few mm
i ended up just ripping it out with my teeth breaking the simtray but atleast i could get the POS simcard out of my phone
had to order a new simtray from china should be here in a few days hopefully
STAY AWAY FROM THESE CRAAPY SIM CARD HACKS
Guys not sure what issues you had but I have scoured the web for a product to enable me to use my 3G iPhone without bricking it or damaging it. I have found that in Rebel Sim Card. I took it out of the box, tested it with one of the supplied sims and then switched over to my UK Vodafone sim and I now have my 3G iPhone working in all the same ways but on Vodafone and at a degree less cost then unlocking and invalidating the warranty
Old 08-21-2008, 04:34 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Rebel

I have ordered the rebel simcard as well - and from what I hear is that as long as you use some tape to keep the network sim and the rebel sim on the tray it should not have any problems of getting stuck - other than that issue I hear the rebel works fine - though I will try and leave my comments
Old 08-22-2008, 05:42 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Trash!

The Rebelsim is trash!!
DO NOT WORK IN BRAZIL, NO CARRIER!!!
DO NOT BUY IT!!
Old 08-22-2008, 07:20 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Arimolo - try this: I assume you have the iPhone "activated" - you can see all the icons. Enable Airport mode - with no SIM installed - turn off the iphone. Make a call with your OTHER phone. Then take the SIM out of your old phone and put in your iPhone with your Rebel. Turn on the iPhone. DISABLE Airport Mode. It will search and find your provider.

This worked for me.

My Rebel Sim works. And works well.

Forgot to add: I did have to file the top side of the CHIP (very carefully) - just a little. Otherwise it is too tight a fit for the SIM opening.

Forgot to add (again): I used Tape at first (to hold the Rebel and the SIM together) - and it got stuck in the iPhone - removed the tape - everthing is now OK. Tape makes it too tight of a fit...

Last edited by udornf4; 08-22-2008 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-22-2008, 08:08 PM
What's Jailbreak?

DONT USE IT !!! - I tried it on my brand new iphone 3 and had to take it apart to take it out - the sim got stuck inside and now I have a broken sim tray and an unusable iphone - I had to order another sim tray and even then not sure if it will work after - so dont do it - for those of u who it has worked - great but in general stay away - at best its hit and miss

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > iPhone Modding > Unlocking / Activation