HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Go Back   ModMyiFone.com | iPhone forums, iPhone hacks, iPhone unlock > Computer Modding Software > Windows Specific Modding Discussion
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Windows Specific Modding Discussion Any modding questions which are specific to Windows should be posted here.

iPhone Optimized MMi | Browser Optimized MMi

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

Opportunities at MMi | 1.1.4 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 06:41 PM
What's Jailbreak?

iPhone won't turn on - not responding to reset

Hey guys, this is really scaring me now. So this is the story:

I bought my iphone (OTB 1.1.1) off ebay about 2 months ago off ebay, works perfectly. So i recently upgraded it to 1.1.3 with ziphone. Works fine.

Then i decided to buy an FM Transmitter off ebay (like a generic itrip). It was cheap, the packaging says its compatible with iphone so i expected it to atleast work with my iphone (i didn't expect quality).

I plugged it in to my iphone, and it shows that message "..accessory not made for iphone etc.." Stupid me i just ignored it since my friend gets that message too when he uses his belkin fm transmitter (which works for him on his iphone). So after closing that message, i try to play a song, and woop-di-doo my iphone freezes. i reset the iphone and it gives me a command line boot sequence and gives me this "single user" thing message about mac addresses and things (like MS Dos style look). Then thinking what the, i just reset it again (home+power) and it does something funny, the screen just goes WHITE. All white. No apple logo, no nothing, just turns on like a flash light.

Then i had to go out, so i turned it off thinking i'd just go home, and do a fresh restore and then unlock etc with ziphone.

I come home, 2 hours later, and i tried to turn on my iphone, but it wont turn on.

I plugged it into the wall charger, and also my computer usb (direct not through keyboard or hub), and it does nothing. It's like its completely dead. I've sat here holding the reset buttons for like 5 minutes and it still does nothing.

Can anyone help me? I bought this from ebay so i have no warranty?
I'm also in australia. I checked the apple website and it says that my iphone isn't registered or something, but it gives me the option of going to a retailer. If i send it to a relative in the USA to take it to an apple shop, would i be able to get it fixed/replaced? Or would they require tax invoices etc.
At this point i don't think i can do much to fix it myself because there are really only two buttons available to me and they seem to do nothing. =/
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:45 PM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4 - unlocked
Operating System: Mac OSX

Accessories designed for iPods use a higher voltage than those for iPhones. You may have fried your circuitry; as my friend did when he stuck his iPhone in a Bose speaker system. 10 mins after he got the "accessory not made for iphone" message, his phone was dead.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:56 PM
What's Jailbreak?

oh.. bugger.. so what can i do? if i send it to USA to an apple store.. would they replace it? I'm not too sure how the warranty works etc. Are they really 'tight' on their warranty?

If say you walk into an apple shop and they try turning it on / resetting it etc and it doesn't turn on, would they just give me a new one? or would they make you leave it there, and wait a few days etc.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:44 PM
My iPhone is a Part of Me

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4
Operating System: Windows Vista x64
Send a message via MSN to stocis

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisties123 View Post
oh.. bugger.. so what can i do? if i send it to USA to an apple store.. would they replace it? I'm not too sure how the warranty works etc. Are they really 'tight' on their warranty?

If say you walk into an apple shop and they try turning it on / resetting it etc and it doesn't turn on, would they just give me a new one? or would they make you leave it there, and wait a few days etc.
try.. but i think u'll be needing a warranty
Old 03-07-2008, 08:24 PM
What's Jailbreak?

iphones haven't been around for that long, and judging from the serial number they should be able to figure out that its not been a year since they'd released my 1.1.1 OTB for sale. shrugs.. Whats the worst they can do if i try to bring it in? just give it back to me and say no?

I did jailbreak and etc it. But i figured they won't be able to turn it on to figure that out if i ask for a replacement straight away. And since the circuitry is most likely fried, they wouldn't be able to extract any data anyway.

I can't believe its come down to having to bring it into apple to fix -_-
Old 03-07-2008, 08:29 PM

tough luck my friend.. i'm really really sorry for u :/ but at least there's a last chance for u to get a new phone.. you can try!

lets keep our hopes up.. and keep us informed i really want to know what happened
Old 03-07-2008, 08:43 PM
What's Jailbreak?

hey they can't sue me or anything for jailbreaking cracking the phone etc can they? Like if they give me a replacement and then figure out that its been cracked.

BTW when i send it to my relatives, should i send everything to them? box.. packaging etc. or just the phone?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:50 PM

you should send everything just to make sure
Old 03-09-2008, 12:31 AM
What's Jailbreak?

hey if i lie to the guy at the apple shop about my phone, and he is able to turn it on and finds out that it's cracked or whatever, can i get like arrested or something? I mean it is dead, or should i plug it into the fm transmitter for a bit longer to make sure its completely fried lol.

or worst case he calls my bluff and just refuses to help me with my phone?

what if they take my dead phone to the lab and like extract the hdd and find out about my call records and things like that and somehow track me down.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:26 AM

PLUG the phone in to the wall and LEAVE IT.

The phone crashed when you plugged the accessory in. Before it could recover, you pressed home+power and you put it into restore mode. That's why you got the white screen. When you went to turn it off it only dimmed the screen, it did not turn it completely off.... you did not have the option to turn it completely off because you had no slider. You only had to option to put it to sleep BUT it will not go to sleep in restore mode. When you walked away from it, it kicked itself back on and tried to reset itself while you were gone. This likely happened over and over since it will endlessly reboot until it dies when in restore mode.

Your phone is too dead to turn on, remember what happens when you let an ipod sit for a long time and it completely dies? You have to plug it in for as much as 5 hours before it kicks back on.

Plug that thing into the wall and give it a while to charge. It'll either kick itself back on, or eventually it'll have enough power for you to turn it back on.

Looking for some docks? One's Custom Docks Click Here!
- - - - PART 2 Click Here!

Customize for 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 Click HERE.

Swaptunes for 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 Click HERE.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:04 AM
What's Jailbreak?

omg if you are right i am so gonna give you a big internet emoticon kiss. i'm gonna leave it charging all night on the wall. and see in the morning.

cos yeah, it gave me that 'single user' 'dos style' screen when it died. if you google 'iphone single user boot' and check a few links, you'll see the story about it. apparently it's rare but yeah. then after i got that screen i was like.. oh no.. so i hesitated and was like.. okay.. who cares its dead might aswell see if exposing it to MORE bad plug would fix it (stupid me). So i plugged it into the fm transmitter again, and yeah, it when white screen after a while, and i just did the reset thing till it looked like it was off and left it.

Whats the maximum time i should charge it for before i should give up? i'll give it 6 hours and let you know how it goes. Thanks
Old 03-09-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisties123 View Post
hey if i lie to the guy at the apple shop about my phone, and he is able to turn it on and finds out that it's cracked or whatever, can i get like arrested or something? I mean it is dead, or should i plug it into the fm transmitter for a bit longer to make sure its completely fried lol.

or worst case he calls my bluff and just refuses to help me with my phone?

what if they take my dead phone to the lab and like extract the hdd and find out about my call records and things like that and somehow track me down.
Haha, you're a riot! No, you can't get arrested, neither jailbreaking or unlocking a phone is illegal. It's just against Apple's EUA and will void your warranty.

PS: iPhone's don't have an HDD, just a memory chip.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:37 AM

Device + Firmware: 1.1.4 / 3.9
Operating System: XP

If you do get arrested you'll likely only get community service. Maybe a few days cleaning up graffiti or helping old ladies with their shopping. But hey, it'll be worth it to get a new iphone
Old 03-09-2008, 11:01 AM

rofl
Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
If you do get arrested you'll likely only get community service. Maybe a few days cleaning up graffiti or helping old ladies with their shopping. But hey, it'll be worth it to get a new iphone
But what about the cavity search when he's booked? Will that be worth it?

ModMyiFone.com | iPhone forums, iPhone hacks, iPhone unlock > Computer Modding Software > Windows Specific Modding Discussion