Thread Back Search
  • User Name
  • Password

how to make your own winterboard theme Tutorial

• 08-13-2008 | 07:07 PM
  • ean101 Posts: 3
  • not sure if this is the right place for this...but what if i want to take a theme that i am currently using and make the navagation bar black? ie when I go into the text app or cyndia app, i want the navagation bar to be black. i had this on the "type windows" winterboard theme, however I used a bosspref app to "fix user dir permissions" and now when I use the same theme it comes up blue and then turns to black, how can I make this permanently black like it was before?! oh, and im on 2.0.1, jailbroke obviously.
  • 08-13-2008 | 09:02 PM
  • kordaemon Posts: 2
  • Hey I have literally been searching everywhere, all different popular ipod touch/iphone forums to find the answer to one seemingly simple, yet frustratingly complicating question.

Where can you find the background picture file of the springboard?

I've been trying to change the background picture manually instead of using winterboard for a long time. I've been pointed to the Other.artwork file, I have extracted the pictures out of it, (mind you I am on 2.0.1) and the closest thing that looks like a background picture was the others-393.png file, but oddly the picture's dimensions was a bit off, but i decided to replace it nonetheless. I repacked the Other.artwork file and replaced the one in the ipod. The effect, it didn't change the springboard's background picture and if it changed something else, i've yet to find out.
    So I ask this forum, where do you find the file that you modify to change the springboard's background image. Or if there is any other way of changing it other than using winterboard or some theming application, what is it? Thanks for those who choose to answer.
  • 08-13-2008 | 09:02 PM
  • ean101 Posts: 3
  • just a note about my text above. can i edit something in the info.plist file??

Last edited by ean101; 08-13-2008 at 09:06 PM.
  • 08-14-2008 | 04:51 AM
  • opusandbill's Avatar opusandbill Posts: 304
  • Quote de ean101
    not sure if this is the right place for this...but what if i want to take a theme that i am currently using and make the navagation bar black? ie when I go into the text app or cyndia app, i want the navagation bar to be black. i had this on the "type windows" winterboard theme, however I used a bosspref app to "fix user dir permissions" and now when I use the same theme it comes up blue and then turns to black, how can I make this permanently black like it was before?! oh, and im on 2.0.1, jailbroke obviously.
    the latest version has made it very easy to have black navigation bars.
    When you open you will see the words "Black Navigation Bars"
    1. press bar so you get a check mark
    2. press 3 grey bars and drag to the top
    3. exit winterboard

after restart (which is now automatic) you should have black bars.

Quote de ean101
    just a note about my text above. can i edit something in the info.plist file??
    yes you can and if you are using a mac it is very easy to do with the installed text editor.

just open
    change
    hit save

Quote de kordaemon
    Hey I have literally been searching everywhere, all different popular ipod touch/iphone forums to find the answer to one seemingly simple, yet frustratingly complicating question.

I've been trying to change the background picture manually instead of using winterboard for a long time. I've been pointed to the Other.artwork file, I have extracted the pictures out of it, (mind you I am on 2.0.1) and the closest thing that looks like a background picture was the others-393.png file, but oddly the picture's dimensions was a bit off, but i decided to replace it nonetheless. I repacked the Other.artwork file and replaced the one in the ipod. The effect, it didn't change the springboard's background picture and if it changed something else, i've yet to find out.
    So I ask this forum, where do you find the file that you modify to change the springboard's background image. Or if there is any other way of changing it other than using winterboard or some theming application, what is it? Thanks for those who choose to answer.
    the image in the other.artwork file is only for when you have your phone locked.
    You can not manually change the springboard wallpaper, you have to use some sort of program.
    I am using winterboard to change the wallpaper, you can either add a theme or use the "User Wallpaper" option.

Last edited by opusandbill; 08-14-2008 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
  • 08-14-2008 | 09:12 AM
  • kordaemon Posts: 2
  • I was unaware all the files in the Other.artwork file were for when the iphone is locked (i don't believe it is, as there are files that are probably used elsewhere) but if it is not possible to use the Other.artwork file to change the springboard background would someone mind explaining to me how exactly summerboard or winterboard works; how it changes the springboard background, since if the creators of winterboard and summerboard were able to do it, and make it so everyone else can change the background, why not be able to do it manually without the program. Thanks again for those who answer.
  • 08-14-2008 | 10:01 AM
  • Talynrider's Avatar Talynrider Posts: 51
  • I would be interested to hear what others, who know more than I, have to say (saurik who created winterboard maybe ) As I understand it, you can't just swap a .png file for this because it is possible within the code to set a hard coded background color and that is what the SB has. What the apps do is run interference between what the SB app displays to put a layer between it and what we eventually see on our phones. Thus, how we get the wallpaper solution.
  • 08-14-2008 | 12:42 PM
  • tblueboy Posts: 1
  • Does anyone know exactly his to change the lock screen background and keypad. I just got my phone to get themes on it and everything last night so I am pretty new to this whole thing. My coworker had it so where you touched a grey circle orb and a finger appeared and then the keypad came up to unlock the phone. Anyone know how I can customize that part of the phone? Thanks for your help!
  • 08-14-2008 | 08:51 PM
  • marsh Posts: 6
  • can u guys help me make a new theme!
    i dunno how!
    i have 1st release iphone 8gb with 1.1.3
  • 08-14-2008 | 09:05 PM
  • dillonsmith9147 Posts: 53
  • how can you edit or view plist files on windows
  • 08-15-2008 | 08:08 AM
  • opusandbill's Avatar opusandbill Posts: 304
  • Quote de tblueboy
    Does anyone know exactly his to change the lock screen background and keypad. I just got my phone to get themes on it and everything last night so I am pretty new to this whole thing. My coworker had it so where you touched a grey circle orb and a finger appeared and then the keypad came up to unlock the phone. Anyone know how I can customize that part of the phone? Thanks for your help!
    to set a photo to the locked screen.

sync the image to your phone through itunes, Make sure the size is 320x480.

open photos on your phone and you should see your image
    press the image
    press the image in the lower left corner
    press the "Use As Wallpaper" button

your done

if you want the lock screen to match the springboard you can use winterboard.

Last edited by opusandbill; 08-15-2008 at 08:12 AM.
  • 08-15-2008 | 08:09 AM
  • qwik3r Posts: 4
  • background picture for the springboard:

/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/SBDockBG2.png

Quote de kordaemon
    Hey I have literally been searching everywhere, all different popular ipod touch/iphone forums to find the answer to one seemingly simple, yet frustratingly complicating question.

• 08-15-2008 | 09:01 AM
  • Talynrider's Avatar Talynrider Posts: 51
  • The file (/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/SBDockBG2.png )listed above is for the dock image it is not the wallpaper behind the springboard.
  • 08-15-2008 | 09:12 AM
  • qwik3r Posts: 4
  • er your right, my bad!
  • 08-16-2008 | 11:24 PM
  • marko111 Posts: 52
  • does anyone know how to extract pngs from international keyboarda? they used to be in the same UIKitframework folder, but now all i can find is a foler called /system/library/textinput/ or something like that. i want the files for the japanese keyboard and i see a textinput_ja inside that folder and within that is a textinput_ja.artwork, but i dont know how to extract it.
  • 08-17-2008 | 01:26 AM
  • gonano Posts: 15
  • I'm having problems creating a true RGBA PNG file using Photoshop. I am using an empty layer as background. I have tried "Save For Web & Devices" and "Save as", "transparency" is checked and "interlaced" is not.

I know the PNGs are transparent because I can look at them and they are transparent but they just won't load in my theme. Everything else loads just not my Other.artwork PNGs.

Using:
    mytheme/Folders/UIKit.framework/other-107.png
    and
    mytheme/UIImages/other-107.png

Photoshop CS3, OS X
Return to Top