Thread Back Search
  • User Name
  • Password

how to make your own winterboard theme Tutorial

• 08-17-2008 | 06:42 AM
  • opusandbill's Avatar opusandbill Posts: 304
  • Quote de gonano
    I'm having problems creating a true RGBA PNG file using Photoshop. I am using an empty layer as background. I have tried "Save For Web & Devices" and "Save as", "transparency" is checked and "interlaced" is not.

I know the PNGs are transparent because I can look at them and they are transparent but they just won't load in my theme. Everything else loads just not my Other.artwork PNGs.

Using:
    mytheme/Folders/UIKit.framework/other-107.png
    and
    mytheme/UIImages/other-107.png

Photoshop CS3, OS X
    one thing I noticed is that when skinning with winterboard you have to use the actual name of the file.

you have to use the file I posted in my first post.

read this (all credit goes to Saurik)

Cached .artwork Themes
    Finally, the most complex example of image-based themes I've so far seen has to do with .artwork files. These files exist as loading lots of small .png files from disk can be irritatingly time consuming, so instead they are loaded as block and stored (I believe) in a shared memory cache. As these tiny graphics are often used to build all aspects of the interface these represent the ultia thule of iPhone theming.
    Messing with them, though, is currently really hard: you have to use special tools to unpack the files and all you get out of them are a bunch of numerically-named png files (.artwork files don't have filenames in them). You then have to carefully make new images of the same size and rebuild the complete .artwork file, which then has to be installed on the phone with a rickety package that attempts to backup and restore the original. Yeek!
    After I heard about this, I set out to fix this with WinterBoard: I want theming to be a fun, safe experience that can be taken up by anybody without special tools. To do this I first analyzed how .artwork files worked, and lo and behold there actually are filenames that go with all of those png files people were compressing (already this makes the task a million times easier.

example:
  • 08-17-2008 | 08:17 AM
  • cir_osis Posts: 2
  • Any ideas on how to get Wallpaper.mp4 to loop once it has finished its first cycle?

Thanks in advance.
  • 08-17-2008 | 03:30 PM
  • JubairSaidi Posts: 1
  • I did mine a bit diferently than this one but this tutorial helped out a lot Thank you
  • 08-19-2008 | 05:40 AM
  • fm2503 Posts: 10
  • Hi,

Does anyone know how to do sound modifications like SMS messages etc?
    I've tried using Folders/UISounds/alarm.caf but this doesn't seem to work.

thanks
  • 08-19-2008 | 06:11 AM
  • Quote de fm2503
    Hi,

Does anyone know how to do sound modifications like SMS messages etc?
    I've tried using Folders/UISounds/alarm.caf but this doesn't seem to work.

thanks

this is from Sauriks blog:
    Sound Themes - A bunch of system sounds are stored in /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/. If you create a folder in your theme called UISounds/ you will be able to theme these (provided you also can provide .caf files). Support for other formats may be forthcoming.

Also you will need to update winterboard in order to change sounds.

I will be adding a how-to to the 1st post

Last edited by opusandbill; 08-19-2008 at 07:39 AM.
  • 08-20-2008 | 04:24 AM
  • alptkz Posts: 4
  • Hi guys.

Here's a question for you:

What's the name of the UIImages file for the gray background of the settings ?

Also what is the name of the file of the bottom black navigation bar that shows up in apps like Cydia ?

Thanks a lot. Oh and by the way, if you know a website that has a way to find out the uiimages files you need easily, I would love to know it. It's always a drag trying to find out what's the name of the image you want to change.

Thanks again

Alp

Last edited by alptkz; 08-20-2008 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
  • 08-20-2008 | 05:11 AM
  • Quote de alptkz
    Hi guys.

Here's a question for you:

What's the name of the UIImages file for the gray background of the settings ?

Also what is the name of the file of the bottom black navigation bar that shows up in apps like Cydia ?

Thanks a lot. Oh and by the way, if you know a website that has a way to find out the uiimages files you need easily, I would love to know it. It's always a drag trying to find out what's the name of the image you want to change.

Thanks again

Alp
    the background for settings (as well as other apps) is called "UIPinstripe.png".
  • 08-20-2008 | 09:14 AM
  • alptkz Posts: 4
  • thanks a bunch

Here's another question: anyone knows how to change the text color of the Safari webpage title ? If that's not clear enough, I mean the text you see at the top of Safari that tells you the title of the website you're visiting.

Thanks again

Last edited by alptkz; 08-20-2008 at 09:37 AM.
  • 08-21-2008 | 04:55 AM
  • nevermind
  • 08-22-2008 | 03:43 AM
  • katak Posts: 39
  • As far as I know, to put Keyboard-Latin.artwork and Keyboard-Common.artwork in WinterBoard is by renaming their pngs to "kb-XXXXXX.png" and put them all into UIImages folder..

Now here's a question..How do I put 'TextInput_ko.artwork'(artwork for korean keyboard) in WinterBoard?What name do I have to rename those images within TextInput_ko.artwork to?

Here is the images within TextInput_ko.artwork-->DOWNLOAD

Last edited by katak; 08-22-2008 at 04:32 AM.
  • 08-22-2008 | 04:47 AM
  • Quote de katak
    As far as I know, to put Keyboard-Latin.artwork and Keyboard-Common.artwork in WinterBoard is by renaming their pngs to "kb-XXXXXX.png" and put them all into UIImages folder..

Now here's a question..How do I put 'TextInput_ko.artwork'(artwork for korean keyboard) in WinterBoard?What name do I have to rename those images within TextInput_ko.artwork to?

Here is the images within TextInput_ko.artwork-->DOWNLOAD
    I am not sure since i only use the english keyboard, But I would try just placeing them in the UIImages folder. if that does not work you may want to send Saurik a pm.
  • 08-22-2008 | 05:37 AM
  • katak Posts: 39
  • Thanks a lot opusandbill!
    I'm looking forward to hear a good news from you.
  • 08-25-2008 | 07:48 AM
  • uhmmm Posts: 2
  • so far it seems the biggest "problem" will be that i'm not that handy with paintshop

so.. going to give it a try

tnx for the tutorial anyway.. it's nice and clear.
    (and the weblogpiece too.. saurik: you're a good writer for a nerd )
  • 08-29-2008 | 09:50 PM
  • Beva922's Avatar Beva922 Posts: 50
  • this is really deep, but there's probably easier ways to make a theme...unless of course everything must be themed. I just downloaded a theme and pretty much copied its structure...very simple and fun/satisfying when you can use your own theme. But as far as changing and putting custom keyboards and literally everything your guide was great.
  • 08-31-2008 | 09:25 PM
  • calfergo Posts: 18
  • How I make to change this keyboard?

By this other?

The name is "kb-std-number-pad.png"

I placed the images in /Library/Themes/KBROJO/UIImages
    But there are no changes.

I have only obtained that change this image

Thanks

Cómo hago para cambiar este teclado?
    Por este otro?
    Coloqué las imágenes en /Library/Themes/KBROJO/UIImages
    Pero no hay cambios, sólo he logrado que se cambie esta imagen

Last edited by calfergo; 08-31-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Return to Top