HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch > Skinning / Themes Discussion > WinterBoard
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WinterBoard Discussion on using/creating themes with WinterBoard, the best theming software for the iPhone.

MMi Super Contest | 30 winners! Over $1500 in Prizes! Enter Today!

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 11:40 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: Iphone 3G 2.0.1
Operating System: Vista
Winterboard causes phone to get stuck in endless reboot

Hello,

Recently jailbroke my iphone 3g with 2.0.1. I installed the modified image, updated all requested things from Cydia. Then did a search for winterboard and installed it. I have a button saying "restart springboard" which I tap and it remains there loading endlessly. A reboot causes the phone to get stuck at the apple. I have repeated this twice. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 16GB 1.1.4 (3.9 BL)
Operating System: Mac OS X Leopard

No it doesnt, you just hard reboot when it was in the spinning wheel, You need to wait
Old 08-18-2008, 11:47 AM
What's Jailbreak?

I waited 10 minutes, could it potentially take longer than that?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:34 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 2.0.1

zaius55,

Have you discovered a workaround for the reboot issue? My phone is exhibiting the same behavior. It was working fine until I attempted to install Winterboard; now it's showing the boot logo for about 10 minutes and then rebooting itself endlessly. I used QuickPwn last night to jailbreak; did you use the same tool? I'm hoping I can reload the jailbreak to reset springboard.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:45 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Well I have been able to get a stable jailbroken 3g 2.0.1 phone with winterboard, here is what I ended up doing...

1.) Rebuilt my custom image with winpwn NOT including installer app.

2.) Installed sshd before I installed winterboard (Not sure if this is a dependency, can't see why, but it helped).

3.) Did not RESTORE from backup all my programs, but reinstalled them on the phone, essentially creating a new phone in itunes.

Only to find 2.0.1 lacks some critical features (apparently) in the non-jailbroken 2.0.2

Let me know if you have questions.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:51 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Thanks for the info. How did you restore the iPhone back to a state where it's not constantly rebooting? I can't even get the phone to move past the Pineapple logo right now; I'm going to try to redo the QuickPwn to see if that will fix it, otherwise attempt an iTunes restore if I can get that far. Did you need to boot into the iPhone safe mode first before following the steps above?

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:04 PM
What's Jailbreak?

I connected to itunes and got into DFU mode. It then will prompt to restore to defaults (it will fetch an unmodified image I believe if none exists). Where I got stuck before is to understand the difference between DFU mode and restore mode, they are NOT the same. DFU mode will present you with a black screen, while restore will show some icons.

Keeping in mind it may restore you to 2.0.2 with this method, which may not be jailbreakable? I'm unclear on this, there might be another way to get the stock image back. You could winpwn itunes, and then use itunes to restore the stock 2.0.1 image I believe.

Last edited by zaius55; 08-19-2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Thanks for following up. Running QuickPwn a second time didn't make a difference, so I wiped my iPhone and updated to 2.0.2 through iTunes. Thankfully I had backed up my phone earlier that day, so almost all of my stuff is back on the phone. The only weird thing is that iTunes uninstalled several apps, such as Palringo, even though they had been installed when the backup was created. I'm happy I have a working phone again; I'll wait for QuickPwn to support 2.0.2 before I try again.

Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:09 AM
What's Jailbreak?

No problem. There is a quickpwn beta that I used last night and so far so problems.

My experiences with this.

Use the quickpwn beta on a FRESH 2.0.2 phone (I didn't even sync it, I just set it up as a new phone). All the apps and data were still restored properly.

One BIG thing I found in terms of stability that I can't believe I didn't find earlier was turning off autolock and autobrightness. That seemed to have an unbelievable effect on stability and I haven't had a lockup since (battery life is of course impacted, but hopefully this will get fixed).

Go get em!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4
Operating System: Windows Vista

this happened to me when I installed summerboard in mi 1st gen 1.1.4fw iPhone
I found several tips online, even youtube videos but nothing worked.
I ended up restoring.

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch > Skinning / Themes Discussion > WinterBoard