HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion > Installer Support
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Installer Support For issues, discussion and support concerning Installer.

MMi Super Contest | 30 winners! Over $1500 in Prizes! Enter Today!

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1st Gen 8GB 2.0 PwnEd
Operating System: iMac 24" 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo 1 Terabyte +Parallels & WindowsXP SP3
Installer suddenly not working anymore for me

I am on 1.1.3 Jailbroken with ziphone quite some time ago and everything has been working flawlessly. That is, until about 3 days ago, a couple or three days (I think) after I installed the latest version of Installer. When I tap my Installer icon, it goes to the white screen, stays there for about 10 seconds, then returns to my springboard without running Installer.

I can SSH into my iPhone with WinSCP to change permissions if that is the problem, but I don't know what to change, and I'm not certain that is even the problem. I'm wondering if anybody else has ever encountered this problem and has a solution.

On a side note, up until recently, I was a Mac virgin, having owned and used only PC's my entire computing career. So every modification I made to my iPhone using a computer, was done on a PC. I had considered using WinPWN to re-jailbreak when I had the PC, but really didn't want to bother with it because everything was working just fine the way it was. Now that I have an iMac, I surely could simply PWN my iPhone at some point should I decide to do that. But again, I would really rather just continue using my 1.1.3 jailbroken iPhone as it's been working fine...that is..until this recent Installer problem.
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:26 PM

Device + Firmware: AT&T 1.1.4 & 2.0
Operating System: Leopard / XP

Did you SSH and try and check the permissions... set to 775 (or 755)?

DFU Restore Mode:
1. Boot phone 2. Hold Power + Home until the screen goes BLACK 3. Continue to hold home and let go of power 4. Plug into iTunes (screen should still be BLACK) 5. Within 20 seconds it should come up in recovery mode 6. Let go of Home and hit RESTORE in iTunes.

Firmware 2.0 DFU: 1. Power phone OFF. 2. Hold power + home for 10 seconds. 3. Let go of power and continue to hold home until iTunes finds the phone.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Green Apple

Operating System: iMac 24" 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo 1 Terabyte +Parallels & WindowsXP SP3

I am in my iPhone right now with SSH (actually, I am still using WinSSH as I am running Parallels on my iMac and have WindowsXP installed and running, and didn't know the equivalent Mac program to do this with) and looking around for an actually program called "Installer" to change the permission of. But I am unable to find such a program. Maybe you can tell me what exactly to look for and where to look for it at. Thanks
Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 PM

Device + Firmware: AT&T 1.1.4 & 2.0
Operating System: Leopard / XP

should be in /root/applications or possibly /private/var/applications or /private/var/stash/applications

DFU Restore Mode:
1. Boot phone 2. Hold Power + Home until the screen goes BLACK 3. Continue to hold home and let go of power 4. Plug into iTunes (screen should still be BLACK) 5. Within 20 seconds it should come up in recovery mode 6. Let go of Home and hit RESTORE in iTunes.

Firmware 2.0 DFU: 1. Power phone OFF. 2. Hold power + home for 10 seconds. 3. Let go of power and continue to hold home until iTunes finds the phone.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Green Apple

Okay. I think I found it. It is now set at 6755, not 0755. You think that's the problem? I see that by setting permissions to 6755 puts additional check marks in the "Set UID" and "Set GID" boxes.

As a side note, I see that you are running AT&T 1.1.4 PWNed and running Leopard and XP also. So you are jailbroken but not unlocked, which is what I also would do. As I said in my initial post, I've considered PWNing my phone also and now that I have an iMac I can do that if I choose to. What was your experience doing that? Any problems? Everything works fine for you now?

Last edited by spongebobiwan; 05-20-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:16 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

im still having issues with installer,
ive read lots of post on here and else where, stating to just need to set the permissions to 755/777/0755/0777
ive tried all that, still no joy,
now it tells me "insufficient permissions" and when i try to download/uninstall/update something its says "ERROR not enough free space..."
if any one has any ideas please let me know, i have googled this every which way,
thanks
Old 05-21-2008, 04:09 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Easiest thing to do m8 is to ONLY use the jailbreak option on ziphone, u will NOT lose any apps or contacts but will re install the installer app, it worked for me.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:53 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPod Touch 1.1.4
Operating System: Vista

I had the white screen problem with installer last night and it drove me nuts so i sat there and tried stuff until i was able to fix it. One thing I noticed is that every time it did this, there would be a new entry in the /var/logs/CrashReporter folder which seems to contain crash information. Reading those files might help, but mine didn't help too much, but their presence confirmed that installer was crashing. If you have these crash files and new ones appear when you run installer, you might have the same problem as me. I fixed my problem by going to /var/mobile/Library/Installer and renaming RemotePackages.plist to RemotePackages.plist.old and when I ran installer it regenerated that file. It looks like something got corrupted in it. I actually did that with all the files in that folder, but it seems like that 1 file was the one that needed to be changed. Hope this helps!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cren110 For This Useful Post:
geturbreadup (05-22-2008), oldskoolkid13 (05-31-2008), straightryder (07-14-2008)
Old 05-21-2008, 07:45 AM
Green Apple

I too had noticed a new entry in crash reporter every time I attempted to run installer only to have it crash, but did not know what to do about it. I can confirm that your method is precisely accurate for fixing this problem. I just did the same thing you did by renaming the RemotePackages.plist file and Installer did indeed create a new copy. Installer wanted to update to the new version which I declined to do just yet until this gets sorted out. It seems to me that it was shortly after I updated to the new version before, that this problem first began.

Thanks Cren

Last edited by spongebobiwan; 05-21-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:08 AM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

ok i renamed all the files in var/mobile/library/installer to filename.plist.old and as you said it replaced them all with new files, and added an extra plist at the end of each of the old files. (filename.plist.old.plist )
this did seems to make things work a little better, in that its begins the download, and then says "main script execution failed"
i have changed all the installer files on my phone to 755.
any help would be great,
thanks to people who replied to my above post,

loocfa
Old 05-21-2008, 03:20 PM
My iPhone is a Part of Me

Device + Firmware: 2.0.1 8GB iPhone
Operating System: OS X 10.5.1
Send a message via AIM to billchase2

same problem here... except i dont have ssh or afp installed because i just restored last night and hadn't had a chance to install those yet. soooo... any ideas for me? or am i SOL and need to restore again?
Old 05-22-2008, 01:59 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cren110 View Post
I had the white screen problem with installer last night and it drove me nuts so i sat there and tried stuff until i was able to fix it. One thing I noticed is that every time it did this, there would be a new entry in the /var/logs/CrashReporter folder which seems to contain crash information. Reading those files might help, but mine didn't help too much, but their presence confirmed that installer was crashing. If you have these crash files and new ones appear when you run installer, you might have the same problem as me. I fixed my problem by going to /var/mobile/Library/Installer and renaming RemotePackages.plist to RemotePackages.plist.old and when I ran installer it regenerated that file. It looks like something got corrupted in it. I actually did that with all the files in that folder, but it seems like that 1 file was the one that needed to be changed. Hope this helps!
THANKS MY INSTALLER IS BACK TO NORMAL YESSSS!!!!! **DO NOT UPDATE INSTALLER WHEN IT ASKS**
Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 PM
What's Jailbreak?

i tried it goes in the installer but when i click on a category it freezes
Old 05-24-2008, 08:02 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Im on firmware 1.0.2 and i tired using iBrickr to get to the /var/mobile/Library/Installer directory but it doesnt exist, and niether does the RemotePackages file.

Am I SOL or is there another fix?
Old 05-25-2008, 09:51 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPod Touch 1.1.4
Operating System: Vista

try to see if you can find it in the /var/root/Library/Installer directory or if you can ssh or use a terminal prog on your iPod, do a find / | grep remotepackages and see if that locates it for you.

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion > Installer Support