HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Free 3G iPhone Contest!
Unlocked Cell Phones

Go Back   Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion SDK questions. A place for iPhone developers to post code snippets, discuss creating iPhone apps, and any other iPhone developing.

iPhone Optimized MMi | Browser Optimized MMi | Work Opportunities at MMi - updated 7/16/08

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

3G iPhone Local Launch Parties | 1.1.4 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Win | Win Free 3G iPhones!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 06:25 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPod Touch 1.1.4
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.2
Use the SDK to make jailbroken 1.1.4 apps?

Have any of you tried to make an app in the SDK, and then upload it into your jailbroken 1.1.4 iPhone/iPod and run it? I would think that sort of thing is possible.

Last edited by avihappy; 03-06-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:29 PM
iPhoneaholic

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4
Operating System: Vista

awesome idea, thats what i was thinking, is it possible?
i want the AIM app :I
Old 03-06-2008, 08:34 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Fail!

It does NOT work. When I build one of the sample apps, and ran it in the emulator, it worked. But then, I built the app and uploaded it to my jailbroken 1.1.4 iPod Touch, and it failed to run. It would just hang on load, not even the GUI came up. I had to delete it.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: ipod touch 1.1.4 jailbroken
Operating System: MacBook os x intel

don't you have to pay 99 dollars to run it on iphone
Old 03-06-2008, 11:22 PM
What's Jailbreak?

There's probably something that's missing in the iPhone or in the application that prevents it from running all the saw. What if you try a terminal application to see if it can be executed first. Also, what about putting an unofficial application onto the iPhones the legal way? Think it'll work when it comes out in June?
Old 03-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Developer

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.3
Operating System: Windows XP

1. Using the SDK to create apps to install with jailbreak is against the SDK agreement. Apple can take away your SDK.

2. Running applications on the iPhone requires the $99 certificate, so no one can compile for the device yet. Well, at least I can't

3. It will take a jailbreak sort of effort to crack the digital security certificates that Apple will be using to sign apps that are loaded through the store.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:13 AM
iPhoneaholic

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4
Operating System: Vista

when are we going to get the AIM and the MS exchange? we will need to wait till june for the next update O_o?
Old 03-07-2008, 01:21 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMage View Post
1. Using the SDK to create apps to install with jailbreak is against the SDK agreement. Apple can take away your SDK.

2. Running applications on the iPhone requires the $99 certificate, so no one can compile for the device yet. Well, at least I can't

3. It will take a jailbreak sort of effort to crack the digital security certificates that Apple will be using to sign apps that are loaded through the store.
Yea, I figured that there is some DRM on these apps. Oh well, I guess we may have to wait until June.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:31 AM
Developer

When i compile one of the sample sdk apps and try to run it on my iphone it instantly crashes, so at first i thought maybe it's this drm stuff, but when i looked at the crash reporter log file i found this:

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: _OBJC_CLASS_$_NSAutoreleasePool
Referenced from: /Applications/skrot.app/skrot
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Foundation

It seems like the symbol names are different. Maybe they will change the frameworks in the 2.0 firmware to enable sdk apps.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:52 AM
What's Jailbreak?

What about compiling the source from the demo apps in the existing toolchains?

Ive not had much luck so far with references to missing files etc.
Those that tried compiling with the SDK, did you compile for the emulator, or did you compile for the iPhone.. Watching the apple video its clear that compiling for the emulator is a different thing to the actual hardware, that may be part of the reason it doesnt work.

Last edited by Pyrofer; 03-07-2008 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Retired Moderator

Device + Firmware: iPhone/Touch 1.1.4/1.1.3
Operating System: OS 10.5.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer View Post
when are we going to get the AIM and the MS exchange? we will need to wait till june for the next update O_o?
that's a rhetorical question, right?

---------------iPhone Links, check 'em out-------------------
| iSwitcherAE User Guide | iSwitcher FAQ | Add Installer Source |
Old 03-07-2008, 03:45 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roventskij View Post
When i compile one of the sample sdk apps and try to run it on my iphone it instantly crashes, so at first i thought maybe it's this drm stuff, but when i looked at the crash reporter log file i found this:

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: _OBJC_CLASS_

It seems like the symbol names are different. Maybe they will change the frameworks in the 2.0 firmware to enable sdk apps.
Yeah, I figured commenting out the NSAutoreleasePool (bad idea, considering that NSAutoreleasePool helps release memory) line might help, but it turn out that they've change the name of almost everything.

My question is, if I pay the $99 can I still use my iPod Touch for things or does it become a debug unit. Because I really want to program for the iPhone/iPod Touch in OpenGL and the emulator can't handle that.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:59 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4 (1.0.2 OTB)
Operating System: Mac OS 10.5.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roventskij View Post

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: _OBJC_CLASS_

The 1.2 frameworks have to be installed on the iPhone. In other words it'll only work with 1.2 firmware. The firmware is being released to select developers as part of a beta program. Also, I would bet the 2.0 beta is locked still

Last edited by imode69; 03-08-2008 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Developer

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.0 (5a274d) Unmodified
Operating System: Mac OS X Leopard / Windows XP

The Aspen platform that's installed as part of the SDK includes a number of frameworks and libraries that are used to develop iPhone apps w/ Xcode. Not sure if they're the iPhone compatible versions or not but it might be a starting point.

The essential problem with the apps not running is that the 1.2 FW frameworks it's using are not available. I scp'ed over the Aspen frameworks but to no avail (it accepted the QuartzCore ones and whatever but it wouldn't accept the Foundation.framework, which also screwed up some other apps).

So that's all the progress I've made. Also, getting iPhone apps to run in the Aspen simulator doesn't seem to work either because the Aspen apps are compiled with a different platform configuration and are completely different from the UIKit Apps. The few apps that are available, MobileSafari and the like, have been compiled for AspenSimulator by Apple.

Oh, and I'm also planning on buying the 1.2 beta (the $99 one) so I maybe able to get the apps to run on earlier firmwares by screwing with the frameworks, if that doesn't breach some sort of NDA or whatever.

iDemocracy 3: Limitless Possibilities!
Click my signature image to Donate!

Last edited by Drakenza; 03-07-2008 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention one thing.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:32 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakenza View Post
The Aspen platform that's installed as part of the SDK includes a number of frameworks and libraries that are used to develop iPhone apps w/ Xcode. Not sure if they're the iPhone compatible versions or not but it might be a starting point.

The essential problem with the apps not running is that the 1.2 FW frameworks it's using are not available. I scp'ed over the Aspen frameworks but to no avail (it accepted the QuartzCore ones and whatever but it wouldn't accept the Foundation.framework, which also screwed up some other apps).

So that's all the progress I've made. Also, getting iPhone apps to run in the Aspen simulator doesn't seem to work either because the Aspen apps are compiled with a different platform configuration and are completely different from the UIKit Apps. The few apps that are available, MobileSafari and the like, have been compiled for AspenSimulator by Apple.

Oh, and I'm also planning on buying the 1.2 beta (the $99 one) so I maybe able to get the apps to run on earlier firmwares by screwing with the frameworks, if that doesn't breach some sort of NDA or whatever.
I've spent most of my time developing in Java so all this stuff is a bit new. But from what I understand (and what you've just said) Aspen Simulator compiles stuff for intel proccessors, while when you click to compile for aspen it actually compiles for the iphone ARM processor.

I guess this leaves two main questions:
1.) Can we copy all the files from the Aspen.platform directory to our iPhones and run the new OS.

2.) Can we copy our framework files from out iphones to the aspen folder and compile for our current iphone firmware.

I'm thinking about trying #2, but I'm afraid of #1.

Someone should host a IRC for this so we can make some real progress.

Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion