HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches Post new native iPhone and iPod Touch apps in this forum. Also post updates to apps in this thread. Grab Our Native Apps Launches RSS Feed

MMi Super Contest | 30 winners! Over $1500 in Prizes! Enter Today!

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Developer

Cycorder vs. Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by x999x View Post
2 megs for 12 seconds leads me to believe this isn't exactly being transcoded, bur rather just encapsulated in a .mov wrapper like Showtime did. The only difference in this case is that Cycorder adjusts the RGB differences on-the-fly rather than requiring a desktop tool to fix the video file for local playback like Showtime had.

Very clean for a first release, and I hope for some sort of premium version because I hate to view ads in my apps.
Cycorder is doing realtime MJPEG compression, which is similar to what you get in a standard point and shoot digital still camera that also happens to do video. For comparison, Showtime created a 16MB video file for 4s of video. Cycorder's compression is definitely worthwhile, its just not amazing (although the video quality from iPhone Video Recorder seems abysmal).
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saurik For This Useful Post:
Adplaya (08-23-2008), wao1201 (08-23-2008)
Old 08-23-2008, 12:00 AM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurik View Post
Cycorder is doing realtime MJPEG compression, which is similar to what you get in a standard point and shoot digital still camera that also happens to do video. For comparison, Showtime created a 16MB video file for 4s of video. Cycorder's compression is definitely worthwhile, its just not amazing (although the video quality from iPhone Video Recorder seems abysmal).

!!!! saurik just replyed in my thread! Hahaha. Great work man, on Cydia and Cycorder. And I JUST NOW caught the CYdia and CYcorder connection.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:50 AM
iPhoneaholic

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, mjpeg is definitely better than a raw file in the long run.

With regards to the video quality of IVR, its currently not possible to select the best encoding settings due to a GUI bug :P Back on 1.1.4, I found the best quality level to be less troubled by visible compression boxes.

As for Cycorder, I do hope you offer a premium version at a little more competitive price just for the legions of people who are bound to complain if its above the 12-15 dollar mark. If you consider the inline sponsored ads you're using as a long term medium, you may want to consider the typical trends of online marketing. Any new venture is going to pay the most for the simple reason of getting as many people on board to push their ads. Once their venture capital dries up and its time to do the numbers, those lucrative payouts for Impressions, Click Throughs, and Sales are going to stabilize and undoubtedly be lower than what you are already receiving. I deal with online marketing quite a bit in my profession, the big 3, Google/Yahoo/MSN, and can tell you that unless you're getting paid for impressions, don't put all your eggs in the click through or sales basket just yet.

Cheers on the work, its impressive to say the least, but please do think about a premium version sans ads at a competitive price versus whats currently available.

Thanks again for your community support, you really gave 2.0 some legs this time around
Old 08-23-2008, 01:25 AM
Developer

Cycorder Ad Monetization

Quote:
Originally Posted by x999x View Post
Cheers on the work, its impressive to say the least, but please do think about a premium version sans ads at a competitive price versus whats currently available.

Thanks again for your community support, you really gave 2.0 some legs this time around
What is the price point you would recommend? For the record, the last time I tried to price out Cycorder I chose something less than $12.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:39 AM
Green Apple

turn airplane mode on will recording gets no add... lol cool app. nice work
Old 08-23-2008, 02:46 AM
Developer

Cycorder Ad Bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra85ec View Post
turn airplane mode on will recording gets no add... lol cool app. nice work
That's a good one! ;P Someone else (humorously enough, with some help from me on how to re-sign the application) binary hacked out the URL in the program so it loaded a black.html file from his server.

(I actually care surprisingly little ;P.)
Old 08-23-2008, 02:58 AM
iPhoneaholic

Quote:
What is the price point you would recommend? For the record, the last time I tried to price out Cycorder I chose something less than $12.
9.99 is half the price of IVR, and sure to turn heads, but if you're after volume, 4.99 or 7.99 may be the sweet spot.

IVR, unfortunately, has put itself in a tough spot because of it's price point, and as a result the author loses customers to unscrupulous users who opt for hacked versions. With this in mind, it may be a good strategy to position yourself at a price which evokes enough value for people to consider such a deal too good to pass up.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:05 AM
My iPhone is a Part of Me

Device + Firmware: 1st Gen IPhone all sizes/unlocked 2.0
Operating System: OSX Leopard
Send a message via MSN to heath_rox

if its too high people like me will get the cracked version (dont own my own credit card)
if its low on the other hand people like me will (use parents)
Old 08-23-2008, 03:39 AM
iPhoneaholic

Device + Firmware: PWNed iPhone 2.01 Jailbroken and Unlocked
Operating System: Leopard on Macbook and Vista Ultimate on PC

Agreed... 5 pounds would definately be the sweet spot. Literally, IVR is too expensive. Like someone said, one can get a Motorola Razr for that much.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:16 AM
My iPhone is a Part of Me

Device + Firmware: Jailbroken White iPhone 3G
Operating System: Leopard

Awesome, we need an alternative to iVR, especially since DnB isnt doing anything with his apparently, so are you planning to have a free one with ads and a price tag on the other with no ads or just one with no ads?
Old 08-23-2008, 04:38 AM
Green Apple

Awesome the video recorder for the first released. The app works well, very clean w/g quality. Hopefully sound will be availabled in the next update asap. Infact, the ads doesn't notification to me, so I dont mind at all.

About the price tag, I thought it should be around $5-9.99
Old 08-23-2008, 04:50 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: 1st Gen 8GB iPhone /w 2.0, Pwned & Unlocked. 8GB 3G iPhone /w 2.0.1 Pwned & Unlocked
Operating System: Mac OS X Leopard // Windows XP

I'm always impressed with what you are coding, Saurik. It warms my heart when I get a little box popup asking me to "Upgrade (Essential)".

Even more, finding a little app called 'Cycorder' in my list of Changes this morning. It looks fantastic. If it could record sound, and possibly lower the file size a touch, I would be willing to pay for this app. How much? I would pay $10 for this, but I bet a heck of a lot more would buy if it was $7.99.

Keep up the good work
Old 08-23-2008, 05:37 AM

Device + Firmware: Iphone 3G 2.0.1
Operating System: Windows XP

Good application, please add the possibility to have the Max resolution in Landscape mod. And an option to Encode latter in Divx / Xvid / H264 once we dont need the video camera.

For price i think 4.99 dollar will get you a lot of people to buy it It is better to sell 5 dollar to 100 person then 20 dollar to 10 personne When it is too expensive people serach for cracks or simply dont buy it. when it is cheap it is not worth waisting time searching / developing cracks
Old 08-23-2008, 07:36 AM

Excellent, excellent.

I'll gladly pay for this when sound and email are added.

No ads though and post viewing compression would be great.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:51 AM
iPhoneaholic

saurik GREAT JOB
If you could add options like zoom, sound, resolution, etc you have a great app to offer us all and I would pay as well

Keep up the great work

Iphone 8GB 1st GEN
WiNPWN
2.02Firmware
Modded so far so good

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches