HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > iPhone > News
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News What's the latest news? Check it out here. Grab Our News RSS Feed

MMi Super Contest | 30 winners! Over $1500 in Prizes! Enter Today!

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 02:00 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Yeah maan

Installer i life, i can't wait to work with it again.
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:01 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: 8GB iPhone 1.1.4
Operating System: Windows XP Pro Student Ed.

Installer is useful without the apps anyway. Let's wait.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:45 AM
What's Jailbreak?

imode69 is a *****.
What sources? Only a dumbass would ask that..
How about the sources hosted by the devs themselves? Oooh, I guess it's us silly little "amusing folk" that like to get our apps as they come out.
Case in point; swirrlyMMS.
They had a custom source up a full week before it was hosted anywhere else.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:49 AM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.0.2 Self-QuickPwn'd
Operating System: Windows XP

Looks awesome hope it gets released soon
Old 07-25-2008, 03:09 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD914 View Post
Instaler rules....Cydia sucks. I cant wait for this!
This place needs a "shut up" button next to the "thanks" button..

Old 07-25-2008, 04:24 AM
Green Apple

I agree alex. Do people know how much effort is put into an app??! You don't just come here and have negative comments! Devs put alot of their time, for what is a free app.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:40 AM
Green Apple

I think it's amazing how dedicated so many people are to this package installer. Come on guys, it's a program that finds and installs other programs for you. Cydia may be a little rough around the edges, but nowhere near as rough as Installer was when it came out. Cydia had to be rewritten to work on iPhone 2.0, and so does Installer.

Anyone out there who thinks that Cydia is buggy is right -- it is, Saurik even says so himself. But if you're expecting that Installer will just ride in on a white horse and work perfectly on the first try with all of your favorite apps from 1.1.4, you're either totally wrong or going to be waiting a LONG time. There's nothing about Installer that would make it easier to port to 2.0. In fact, since Installer is all proprietary while Cydia is standards-based, they're probably having a harder time, which is why it's not out yet. Or maybe they're spending all their time on the unnecessary eye candy displayed in this thread.

Neither Installer nor Cydia control the quality or quantity of the apps, they just install 'em. Yes Installer could (in 1.1.4 and below) add unofficial sources and Cydia can't. Cydia already has some support for adding sources now, and Saurik has made sources the project's top priority, so I don't think it'll be too much more of a wait.

I think it's great that Cydia came out first for 2.0, because now it may have a chance to completely supplant Installer. Why do we need three package installers (including the AppStore)? What possible benefit does this have other than forcing you to check multiple locations for updates? What all of you really want is the quantity of apps available in Installer, not Installer itself.

Cydia is just plain better even if it's not as pretty. It's an open source project, which is the way a packager for an unofficial development community like ours should be. Who writes installer? Why do they do it? What if they start charging a fee to use it? What if they start installing spyware without your knowledge? How would you know? Nullriver is just some company (that's now selling apps on the AppStore) who has who knows what agenda for Installer.

Cydia is standards-based, so the feature set of the packager is much more extensive. Ever installed something in Installer that told you, once installed, that you have to install something else before you can use it? Yeah, Cydia and every other package manager in the world would have done that for you (it's called dependencies).

It's not any more difficult for devs to get their apps into Cydia. Why would the dev's bother hosting an Installer repository "someday" when Cydia is available now? Do you really think that all of the developers of your favorite applications are all done coding and are just waiting for Installer to appear? If they had apps finished, they'd be in BigBoss's source on Cydia already.

In short, I agree that most iPhone users would be best off waiting. But you're not waiting for Installer. If Installer came out tomorrow, most of your favorite apps still wouldn't be available. Wait until the apps you want are out, then jailbreak and use Cydia to install them.

Last edited by lh99; 07-25-2008 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Some grammatical fixes
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lh99 For This Useful Post:
gothi (07-25-2008), kurrupt_1 (07-28-2008), Murfunit (08-20-2008), poetic_folly (07-25-2008), vinividiiphone (07-27-2008), YoAdrian (07-25-2008)
Old 07-25-2008, 04:52 AM
Green Apple

Agreed. 100%
Old 07-25-2008, 06:12 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Ih99....

You're too reasonable!!

::head exploads::

Except for the frothing at the mouth paranoia about null river when they have clearly demonstrated their commitment to this community, you are very correct.
A tip of the hat to your mostly balanced point.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Green Apple

**** **** **** **** **** man i cant wait please release it now lol .,..
rip dev and installer 4 let me out of control ... lol
HP W2408 Vivid Color 24" Widescreen Flat LCD Monitor
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google <a href="http://myweb2.search.yahoo.com/myresults/bookmarklet?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.modmyifone.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php&t=255431&t=Installer