HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > iPhone > News
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News What's the latest news? Check it out here. Grab Our News RSS Feed

MMi Super Contest | 30 winners! Over $1500 in Prizes! Enter Today!

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Green Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMac View Post
Woo. I wonder if I'll be able to send MMS on my Optus iPhone plan :S
i suggest going to swirlyspace.com and looking for the optus carrier settings. if you find them, that would be a pretty good indication that you'll be good to go...
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 16GB White firmware 2.0.2
Operating System: Vista Ultimate x86
Send a message via Yahoo to JazJon

Let’s boil this all down to the basics. Can anyone think of logical reason why Apple/AT&T is playing hard to get with MMS? What would be a business reason for keeping people away from normal MMS? Are they hoping to lead the charge on killing MMS all together? Do they think MMS is out dated and should be replaced with pure email attachments? Do they think MMS causes confusion and billing headaches? As others have stated, why would AT&T not want to make additional revenue off of MMS? None of this makes any sense. I know several friends that want the iphone but are not willing to give up MMS to get one. They are THAT into sending and receiving photos with friends. (all of which are on multiple devices/platforms/carriers) I don’t think I can even think of a current phone that has such limited MMS functionality. Either Apple wants MMS dead or they are building/enhancing how MMS will be included in the near future. Which is it??? I hope this September stuff turns out to include something with MMS.

Can something like this be made to work with AT&T
O2mms - MMS for your O2 iPhone

I posted the question: http://o2mms.net/forum/read.php?5,355

Here is a pretty good post I read on why Apple might ignore MMS all together. While I agree with the old school quality size issues, it's the price to pay for everyone to play together across the board.

Source:
ForumOxford: Why no MMS in iPhone 3G - question to MMS experts at Forox

" Could this be avisionary decision?
by Vladimir Dimitroff - Tuesday, 10 June 2008, 02:20 AM
MMS, to the disappointment of 3G operators, did not become the cash cow that SMS continues to be. One reason could be greedy pricing, but there are also crippling restrictions on file size that, in 2008 sound ridiculous (they were designed with the 2002-2003 camera resolutions and phone memory capacities in mind). Why on earth, with a 5Mp camera, some smartass operator will give me a choice of MMS images between 'normal' and 'large' (320x240 and 640x480 respectively, both ridiculous nowadays). Most handset makers are going out of their skin to please operators and have built an automatic image resizing (i.e. crapifying) when composing MMS. Similarly, with most operators you can't attach even a 1 min MP3 ringtone at 128 kBps - 'File too large' is the error message, because original MMS specs were for 'polyphonic' music, i.e. MIDI, or ultra-compressed, phone-recorded 8-bit files. (And the handset makers haven't even put 'resizing' functionality for this one).
A rather useless service at shameless overblown prices is perhaps on the way out, and His Steveness may have sensed it - any media exchange between users is now so much faster over the Internet - and cheaper, too.
Video calls are another 3G hope that hasn't become reality, IMHO a solution looking for a problem or, rather, addressing a (very!) limited need with too low quality and too high cost. Transmiting live video from a scene (as in citizen reporting) with the main (higher quality) camera could prove a more popular application than watching the speaker's ugly face in low resolution. Other than the camera, the transmission mode could be less dependent on 3G coverage (with some IP streaming options or other available technology). But handset designers haven't been designing (yet) for citizen reporters - or have they? (Any ForOx members in the know, please give us some examples!).
Just some FFT - other opinions? "

Last edited by JazJon; 09-02-2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Green Apple

Operating System: windows xp

i cant wait!!!! thats all my iphone is missing
Old 09-02-2008, 10:42 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: Iphone 8gb 1.1.4 w/T-Mobile
Operating System: Vista Ultimate

can't wait for the release!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:00 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Is this ganna be on the app store?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:09 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 16GB White, V2.0.1
Operating System: Win XP PRO w/ SP3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph franco View Post
Is this ganna be on the app store?
No it's not going on the app store...

Well...I know this isn't believable news BUT, i was talking to an APPLE tech with issues concerning connecting to my LEAP wifi here in my office (which he couldn't help with) and during the conversation he did say that APPLE was working on MMS for the iPhone since it has been the #1 demand from the consumers...This was after the 2.0.2 firmware came out...so maybe they will?? I'm still waiting for SwirlyMMS...

For AT&T users, i am pretty sure if you have a family plan you can use MMS on your iPhone with no problems of them turning it off...a friend of mine and i went in together on a family plan and on top of our unlimited data and text we have "Messaging IMB 200 SMS/MMS DOM"...i added a screenshot from my account...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by jcrod73; 09-03-2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: updated img and added reply
Old 09-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Green Apple

Wow that's great news jcroc73! I hope it makes it into the big September "let's rock" apple event stuff we keep hearing about.

Here's another future option for AT&T users to send MMS from the O2mms - MMS for your O2 iPhone project. Sounds like we will for sure have a way to at least send MMS messages.

AT&T North America Send/Receive MMS support

"Ross [ PM ]
Re: AT&T North America Send/Receive MMS support new
September 03, 2008 02:13PM

The method I use to receive MMS isn't going to work anywhere else sadly

Sending MMS in other countries will hopefully become available within a month or two. "
Old 09-03-2008, 03:08 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Beta Tester!

Hello,

Great Thanks for SwirlyMMS for Iphone 3G and 2.0.2 firmware version!!!

I would like to be a beta tester from France what can I to do?

I would like to develop my own application for Iphone 3G, but the official SDK is more limited about cool API and framework. My application will be used Bluetooth technology, but Apple does not speak about it!!!

Do you have an non official equivalent SDK for Iphone 3G, which offer the way to used others API, like these for Bluetooth?

Regards

Namer
Old 09-03-2008, 06:39 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: IPhone 2G 8GB 2.0.1 PWNED
Operating System: OSX Leopard

Stupid question. Ok when I had 1.1.4 back then swirly mms had to view pics via preview. I was to impatient for it to fetch every thing. So have any of these changed so far? Such as does it go straight into you albums or do you have to download a seperate app to view the photos
Old 09-03-2008, 08:15 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrod73 View Post
No it's not going on the app store...

Well...I know this isn't believable news BUT, i was talking to an APPLE tech with issues concerning connecting to my LEAP wifi here in my office (which he couldn't help with) and during the conversation he did say that APPLE was working on MMS for the iPhone since it has been the #1 demand from the consumers...This was after the 2.0.2 firmware came out...so maybe they will?? I'm still waiting for SwirlyMMS...

For AT&T users, i am pretty sure if you have a family plan you can use MMS on your iPhone with no problems of them turning it off...a friend of mine and i went in together on a family plan and on top of our unlimited data and text we have "Messaging IMB 200 SMS/MMS DOM"...i added a screenshot from my account...

thats not true because i just spoke to someone who develops the 2.0 software and he said they arent doing it becase they want to keep the iPhone afordable
Old 09-03-2008, 09:48 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.0.1
Operating System: Vista,and,XP
Send a message via AIM to sikdaz Send a message via MSN to sikdaz Send a message via Yahoo to sikdaz

i been waiting for swirly hope it's soon
Old 09-03-2008, 10:07 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 16GB White, V2.0.1
Operating System: Win XP PRO w/ SP3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph franco View Post
thats not true because i just spoke to someone who develops the 2.0 software and he said they arent doing it becase they want to keep the iPhone afordable
keep the iPhone afordable??? What kinda crock of shiznit is that?? Well, i wasn't holding my breath anyway with APPLE and AT&T...

Ralph, you need to kick that someone in the A$$ and tell him to slap Steve Jobs in the head, give him a V8 or something, and tell him he's a freakin MORON...

i am happy with SwirlyMMS...i was able to use it somewhat before and i am psyched to see how it is now...from the looks of the screenshots it looks KICK A$$!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 01:40 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrod73 View Post
keep the iphone afordable??? What kinda crock of shiznit is that?? Well, i wasn't holding my breath anyway with apple and at&t...

Ralph, you need to kick that someone in the a$$ and tell him to slap steve jobs in the head, give him a v8 or something, and tell him he's a freakin moron...

I am happy with swirlymms...i was able to use it somewhat before and i am psyched to see how it is now...from the looks of the screenshots it looks kick a$$!!!
:d:d:d:d:d now that's funny
Old 09-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Green Apple

It sucks that AT&T 3G users wont be able to use SwirlyMMS though, so not very much to be excited about yet. I hope someone can tackled that one. I'm really annoyed how AT&T would actively block MMS traffic for iphone tagged IMEI numbers What a crock. At least we can send MMS soon via O2mms - MMS for your O2 iPhone o2mms

I posted the question: AT&T North America Send/Receive MMS support
He said sending service is in the works for everyone world wide! (sweet, I'd pay for it)

We all receive MMS, but that stupid viewmymessage.com site is really annoying. Can someone try to automate that process? filter SMS for that and auto form fill the download page?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:08 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: unlocked iPhone 2.01 with BB data plan simcard
Operating System: windows

ok so I got a question ...

When this is released I gotta make sure I go to ATT and get a MMS plan?

So what do i need if I am running my unlocked 2.01 first gen iphone with a sim card from a ATT Blackberry sim card...

The BB data plan covers MMS ...will it be good enough to work with swirly?

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > iPhone > News