Thread Back Search
  • User Name
  • Password

Stay away from Cydia!

• 08-06-2008 | 06:20 AM
  • shakazulu Posts: 43
  • I used Cydia on 1.1.4 and was happy with it. Even now on 2.0 I have no issue's. It is not perfect but better than nothing. No one forces anyone to use it, simple as that.
    @jayteez you should seriously watch your language !
  • 08-06-2008 | 10:05 AM
  • zap1027 Posts: 6
  • After restoring, and installing apps from cydia, as well as the cydia update, I then installed winterboard. I was able to install a different theme too. I had no issues whatsoever. I didn't do anything different than I did when I was trying to install from cydia with all my other apps and music already on the phone. When I did it then, my phone kept freezing up, no restart, no rebooting was possible.

After playing around with the cydia apps to make sure everything was working fine, I then synced and installed the rest of my apps and music from itunes. So far so good. Everything is working great! Maybe I did do something wrong at first, but I don't think so. Has anybody else had this problem or have you all been able to add cydia apps after installing appstore apps on your phone?
  • 08-06-2008 | 10:52 AM
  • ericidle's Avatar ericidle Posts: 269
  • only issue I've had so far, is with winterboard. I installed it and also a few themes everything was good untill I decided to install the new icon that was released like summerboard with snow on it. As soon as I did that the icon disappeared totally from my phone and I had no way to access winterboard I tried uninstalling the icon and uninstalling winterboard.

Ive since cleared all the installed themes and winterboard and tried a fresh install of winterboard but still the icon does not show on the dock, but poof sees the application is loaded even though you try to hide or unhide the icon nothing appears on the dock.

I'm having to live without any themes at the moment.

Does anyone know if this is a cydia or winterboard problem and can you suggest a fix?

Help appreciated
  • 08-06-2008 | 10:55 AM
  • organik Posts: 88
  • No offense, but I don't think the posts from people who Cydia is working great for are helpful. I'm happy for you, but doesn't help me.

Well, after my last restore I decided to install a few less app store apps (I have about 30 apps total), and not to use passswd to change my password.

I don't know which, or if either thing has helped, but I at least made it through a day without a Cydia freeze. Can somebody, anybody who has never experienced a Cydia freeze on 2.0 let me know your general setup? Are you using Alpine for passwd? How many app store apps, how many Cydia apps? Which ones?
  • 08-06-2008 | 11:49 AM
  • n4du Posts: 3
  • Cydia is a frontend for the apt installer. Cydia does 'nothing' without your interaction. As long as you don't click on the button Cydia and apt (or apt-get.. or apt-xxx) is not activ. There is no such thing as a 'running cydia block's or slow's down'-my phone thing. Maybe Cydia is not that easy a an 'i click only buttons to install games'-installer.. And if thats the problem. do not blame the app for it.
    yt n4
  • 08-06-2008 | 11:59 AM
  • Jah's Avatar Jah Posts: 31
  • Quote de organik
    No offense, but I don't think the posts from people who Cydia is working great for are helpful. I'm happy for you, but doesn't help me.

Well, after my last restore I decided to install a few less app store apps (I have about 30 apps total), and not to use passswd to change my password.

I don't know which, or if either thing has helped, but I at least made it through a day without a Cydia freeze. Can somebody, anybody who has never experienced a Cydia freeze on 2.0 let me know your general setup? Are you using Alpine for passwd? How many app store apps, how many Cydia apps? Which ones?
    iphone firmware 2.0. jb with winpwn using expert mode. put the cydia packages i wanted on there, and obviously cydia. not unlocked i'm using AT&T. during the winpwn i selected the "wipe partition" option, and as mentioned boot neuter is not installed (don't want to unlock). i have about 4 appstore apps and a crap ton of cydia apps. pw is not alpine, and not changing that is the stupidest thing i've heard. cydia doesn't freeze for me. i open it, it refreshes the sources in the background (like its supposed to, which is awesome btw). etc. as for posts not being helpful... you mention to stay away from an app that works fine for most users. those are the users replying to your topic letting you know that you're probably doing something wrong. deal with it. you chose the title, not them.

edit:
    one additional note. you mentioned "after your last restore". that alludes to this problem happening after restore/jailbreaks. what jailbreaking software and what options. if something keeps happening is the steps you're taking. so lets start with the top. how are you JB-ing your phone? or if htat is just too much, why do you need the app then? if its giving oyu that much headache, why use it?

Last edited by Jah; 08-06-2008 at 12:02 PM.
  • 08-06-2008 | 12:10 PM
  • dr33Rocks Posts: 46
  • This is the deal...iPhone user from day 1...modmyifone member since before iphone was released (remember modmyiphone)...and customizing from the early days of ifuntastic v.1...MY POINT, im not new to this and I know my way around modding my phone and installing apps whether by ssh, installer, or cydia and I too am having issues with iphone freezing up. I have had to restore my phone at least 10 times and for the life of me can't figure out a pattern or common thread other than cydia. The only time my phone will freeze up and give me the "white pineapple screen of death" is when I am installing an app from cydia, using an app previously installed from cydia (ie. winterboard, tapdial, etc) or removing an app in cydia. So there is definitely a problem! I'm not saying it's cydia, who knows, once installer finally gets released same thing might happen....but there is definitely an problem. My wife has 3G as I do and we have similiar issues, but she has far less because she doesn't add or change as much stuff as I do. We gave my wife's old iphone to my daughter and have upgraded it to 2.0 and used pwnage with NO problems. Why? I don't know and it seems like no one else has any answers and i'm pretty sure that all the name-calling (on both sides of the issue) doesn't really help anyone. As for me, I love having control (even if just a little) of my iphone and none of it would be possible at this moment if it were not for cydia. So if I get the "white pineapple screen of death" again guess what, I will restore using pwnage and install apps from cydia once again, why, because right now it's all we have! And I do agree, bad title for the thread, maybe next time something that sounds like your looking for help instead of just slamming an app.

Last edited by dr33Rocks; 08-06-2008 at 12:27 PM.
  • 08-06-2008 | 12:31 PM
  • Eyevanovich's Avatar Eyevanovich Posts: 20
  • I have been an iPhone user and a ModMyiPhone member since day one as well. As far as people saying that this is user error on my part I would have to disagree. My solution is this. When you have a freshly restored 2.0 phone install everything you want off of Cydia. It works fine. Then put whatever App Store apps on there that you want. Then don't think about touching Cydia for apps or else it will eventually crash your phone. I have yet to try and uninstall all of the App Store apps then install new packages from Cydia. That would probably work. Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps somebody. I think I'm on my 16th restore at this point. Yay.
  • 08-06-2008 | 12:55 PM
  • Moonshine Posts: 4
  • Hello everybody, especially the ones who have problems with Cydia.

It's not Cydia problems, it's AppStore/iTunes problems. From BigBoss:
    » Apple iTunes Store Bug Workaround - iPhone News & Review

So please don't blame Cydia or Saurik.

My case, i have 155 AppStore applications in my iPhone, with the ones from Cydia and default applications. Fortunately, i didn't encounter any problems with Cydia like freezes or crashes. iPhone first Gen, pwn with winpwn 2.0.3, iTunes 7.7.0. And i did installed most of the application on Cydia before sync the applications from AppStore with iTunes.

Hope this clears something out.
    Best regards,
    Hai

Last edited by Moonshine; 08-06-2008 at 01:46 PM.
  • 08-06-2008 | 03:40 PM
  • dr33Rocks Posts: 46
  • Thanks Moonshine. Like I said in my post, even though I was only having the problem with cydia or cydia apps, one never knows why the "actual" problem is happening and when installer comes out we my have the same issue with it. So after reading what Big Boss had to say, it makes sense.
  • 08-06-2008 | 03:51 PM
  • dirtybird1977's Avatar dirtybird1977 Posts: 381
    iphone firmware 2.0. jb with winpwn using expert mode. put the cydia packages i wanted on there, and obviously cydia. not unlocked i'm using AT&T. during the winpwn i selected the "wipe partition" option, and as mentioned boot neuter is not installed (don't want to unlock).
    I would suggest not trying to adding cydia packages into your custom firmware. I have never had success with this process. If you are not going to unlock your phone then the only option you want checked is cydia itself. Activate is checked by default but you want to uncheck that. I would install any apps directly through Cydia not through the pwning process.
  • 08-06-2008 | 04:59 PM
  • xZinnX Posts: 6
  • I've been experiencing crashing as well recently, moreso today.

The only two things I can narrow it down to is

1) Syncing with iTunes (last night)
    2) Installing IntelliScreen (yesterday)

On 1), I tried to sync everything up with iTunes last night (I never sync). After wasting who knows how long copying AppStore apps to iTunes it finally go to transfering music over to my phone (I didnt have any music on it). About half way through I received an error that the phone was disconnected (which it wasn't). Try and try again, no luck, same message. Since then today the phone has been crashing MUCH more frequently mostly FREEZING during install of a Cydia app (Whirlwind21). The only solution is holding HOME and LOCK buton to reboot the phone (make sure you dont put the phone into DFU). Not sure if this a space issue (i've got 5+ gigs free) or hard drive issue OR iTunes sync has caused an issue.

On 2), since installing IntelliScreen i've noticed the phone acting a bit flakyier (installed yesterday). Not so much the freezing from Cydia, but acting slower and crashing more often.
  • 08-06-2008 | 09:28 PM
  • jibaro3 Posts: 29
  • I have the same problem i can see the app that i donwload from cydia. ones i update my appstore or download a new app i see all the app from cydia. the problem is firmware cydia is working fine. maybe a tweak from cydia it will help the problem
  • 08-06-2008 | 11:11 PM
  • xZinnX Posts: 6
  • Also, when the phone "freezes" it does seem like something is locking up the processor like is stated in BigBoss's post, like locking up the processor and heating up the phone. My phone gets superhot if it sits after freezing. I wonder if peoples 3G phones melting is a similar issue..
  • 08-07-2008 | 01:08 PM
  • organik Posts: 88
  • So exactly what is it that I could be doing wrong, as a few people have posted? I have been jailbreaking iPhones for a LONG time, these crashes have only happened with Cydia (for me anyway) and not App Store - surprising as that is. My phone is pwned 2.0 expert mode, only difference being I selected default logos for boot/restore. The crashes also have happened on a fresh restore with only a handful of apps installed. I haven't had any crash in a few days though, and have been using Cydia quite a bit. The difference is I'm using alpine (disabling ssh when not in use though), and skipped installing some of the large apps like Hold 'em and Cro Mag. It could very well be the App Store process that is screwing up Cydia, but the BigBoss solution does not apply, because I don't get the no icon situation, I get a freeze I can't get out of and a phone that won't boot. The reason for my initial post title was primarily to get attention, which it was quite effective at. You can stroke yourselves all day with how stable Cydia is for you and how I must be an idiot - but plenty of people are experiencing the same crashes I am, and after many restores it gets a bit taxing.
Return to Top