HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion > Cydia Support
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cydia Support For issues, discussion and support concerning Cydia.

MMi Super Contest | 30 winners! Over $1500 in Prizes! Enter Today!

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 01:40 PM
iPhoneaholic

For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to update 5 apps at once directly from the iphone...

Needless to say that was the most troublesome hour I've had since moving to pwnd 2.0.

I did not want to restore, no way, it takes years to put all my content back on with this unspeakably slow sync method now.

In any case, I've noticed something which tends to move things along, just power down with a home+power button combination. Power back up and leave the phone be, it will pop back to normal in a bit. It helps to dock the phone if possible, dunno what it is about itunes, but it seems to keep pinging the phone or something trying to get the device id.
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:23 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.5G pwned w/2.0fw
Operating System: 17" MBP

Just to chime in here, I have been having the same issues as Organik all week (I've been on vacation and have been having nightmares with my iphone). I've been forced to restore my phone 7 times this week, once every day of my vacation. EVERY time it hung immediately after installing something with Cydia. I waited up to 20 minutes for Cydia to finish after each install. Sometimes Cydia hangs with a SWoD. Sometimes Cydia finishes and everything appears normal but will hang at the next reboot.

This has been happening to me on 2.0, and today I got home and finally updated to 2.0.1 hoping the new Cydia would fix the problem. Unfortunately it happened again as soon as I installed OpenSSH on Cydia (SWoD, and stuck at apple logo on reboot).

This is on a 2.5G iPhone. Would love any advice!
Old 08-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Retired Moderator

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G/Touch 2.0
Operating System: OS 10.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by organik View Post
So exactly what is it that I could be doing wrong, as a few people have posted? I have been jailbreaking iPhones for a LONG time, these crashes have only happened with Cydia (for me anyway) and not App Store - surprising as that is. My phone is pwned 2.0 expert mode, only difference being I selected default logos for boot/restore. The crashes also have happened on a fresh restore with only a handful of apps installed. I haven't had any crash in a few days though, and have been using Cydia quite a bit. The difference is I'm using alpine (disabling ssh when not in use though), and skipped installing some of the large apps like Hold 'em and Cro Mag. It could very well be the App Store process that is screwing up Cydia, but the BigBoss solution does not apply, because I don't get the no icon situation, I get a freeze I can't get out of and a phone that won't boot. The reason for my initial post title was primarily to get attention, which it was quite effective at. You can stroke yourselves all day with how stable Cydia is for you and how I must be an idiot - but plenty of people are experiencing the same crashes I am, and after many restores it gets a bit taxing.
I don't think anyone said you're an idiot, at least I didn't. Clearly you're having problems, no one is arguing that fact. However to simply blame one app, Cydia, well it just doesn't make sense. There are/were too many problems with 2.0 to simply point the finger at one app.

So... I only have a handful of free apps from the app store and only a few from Cydia. However the only freezes or rather slowness was due to the bugs in 2.0. Cydia has worked fine but I also installed all the recommended updates for it too.

WinterBoard has been great, no problems and seems very stable (certainly much better than SMB ever was, at least for me).

Have you tried making a new 2.0.1 pwned restore image yet? Sorry I breezed through all the ******** and moaning in the thread. I'd be happy to post my (tested and working) 2.0.1 restore file, if you are on AT&T.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:34 AM
What's Jailbreak?

I have the same cydia death problem (though I am not sure it is due to bugs in Cydia or the incompatibility between App Store and Cydia). I have got the pattern after many restores:

1.Everything works fine if I installed/uninstalled programs BEFORE install any app store programs
2.Install/uninstall system programs (like Openssh, openssl, sqlite3,...) seems works fine even I added some app store programs
3. After I have installed the App Store program (Holdem, Bomberman, Super monkey ball,...), I can't install any cydia program (GUI ones) without freeze and restore.

I don't know if it is due to the signature check is not completely bypass by the pwnagetools or it is due to bugs of the firmware. (But I didn't encounter any boot freeze with App Store)

Just wanna share my experience. I hope somebody can find out a solution to fix the problems. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:19 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1st Gen 2.0 and 3G
Operating System: Mac OSX 10.5.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughton View Post
Just to chime in here, I have been having the same issues as Organik all week (I've been on vacation and have been having nightmares with my iphone). I've been forced to restore my phone 7 times this week, once every day of my vacation. EVERY time it hung immediately after installing something with Cydia. I waited up to 20 minutes for Cydia to finish after each install. Sometimes Cydia hangs with a SWoD. Sometimes Cydia finishes and everything appears normal but will hang at the next reboot.

This has been happening to me on 2.0, and today I got home and finally updated to 2.0.1 hoping the new Cydia would fix the problem. Unfortunately it happened again as soon as I installed OpenSSH on Cydia (SWoD, and stuck at apple logo on reboot).

This is on a 2.5G iPhone. Would love any advice!
Same here, after installinf an app via cydia it is not any more possible to come back from it to the home screen. Hope that will be fixed some day. what seems to help ist to reset the device in the doch, wait several minutes until the screen is a little bit darker. Try it several times - once it will come back. Its definetly faster than installing everything once again.

Regards from Germany
Tommy

P.S. a question, are the people with that problems perhaps with the device not in english? we have to find out, what we have different to the others, which having no problems...
Old 08-10-2008, 01:33 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

I've had no problems with Cydia, but I restored to stock firmware today anyhow. I feel like Cydia is kinda sterile. The Installer beta looks ok, but not amazing. And Winterboard just doesn't have enough features IMO.

I also experienced a slower 3G connection after JBing. Could be a coincidence.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:26 PM
What's Jailbreak?

I think i figured out what the problem is. I sume that we all had to much on the iPhone, less than 1 GB because I tried Cydia with an empty iPhone and it worked without any problems. I also increased the partition to 1GB. Until now everything runs without prblems. How many memory have you left before Cydia crashed on your iPhone and how big is your storage? The same questions to these people whicht have no problems.

CU, Tommy
Old 08-11-2008, 02:32 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 2.0.1
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.4
Re: Stay away from Cydia!

I'll throw my name down on the list, too. Exact same problems as organik in FW 2.0.1.

Any new packages that I install from Cydia after restoring from iTunes backup cause my iPhone 3G to lock completely. I have dozens of App Store apps that are restored from iTunes. As described by others, the packages themselves seem to install without issue, and the "Return to Cydia" button pops up. However, after a few seconds back in Cydia, the small progress wheel appears in the top status bar, making the device unavailable, just as others described. The progress wheel spins for a few minutes, and then it freezes, too. The large progress wheel then appears in the center of the screen, barely visible as it is displayed on top of the frozen screen. It spins for a couple of minutes, during which time the iPhone chirps twice if connected to the USB cable. Finally, some of the pixels blaze bright white and the device freezes completely. A hard reset is required, but the iPhone is unable to get past the boot screen. It has to be dropped back into recovery mode and re-imaged from scratch.

This happens no matter what packages I install from the Cydia app (at least those that would try to create an App icon: BossPrefs, NES, Quake, WinterBoard, IntelliScreen, MobileTerminal, iPhone/Java, etc). However, I don't experience this problem if I install Cydia packages before restoring from the iTunes backup (including my dozens of App Store apps), and similarly if I front-load the IPSW with many Cydia packages through the pwnagetool. Also, if I update an already-installed package, it seems to work without issue.

NOTE: My root partition size is 800MB.

Also let me say: despite this pretty severe issue, Cydia is an awesome package manager!

Last edited by dkallan; 08-11-2008 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added comment about root partition size
Old 08-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Retired Moderator

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G/Touch 2.0
Operating System: OS 10.6

My storage is the default 500MB and Cydia continues to work just fine. Sorry, wish I could be more help...
Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Device + Firmware: None!
Operating System: OS X Leopard 10.5.4 + Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteez View Post
stfu retard.. if i wanted the opinion from an azzhole, i would have farted. nobody gives a flying fat fukk what you think.
Errr WTF? Have you noticed no one else here is saying that?

Probably because:

1) They have brains, respect and courtesy
2) They're banned

Decide which of these you want, then come back and tell us.
iPhone 2G firmware here

Old 08-11-2008, 04:27 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: Iphone 3G with Pwnage 2.0.2 and Firmware 2.0.1
Operating System: Mac OX Leapord

I to had a problem while using cyndia to installing MivTones. It locked up and I had to restore. What a scare I had but I haven't had any problems with cyndia since. But i am having issues using my email app. It keeps crashing when I try to open it. Any one know why?
Old 08-12-2008, 03:23 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGreg View Post
My storage is the default 500MB and Cydia continues to work just fine. Sorry, wish I could be more help...
How much memory is left on your iPhone after you installed everything and how much memory you have by default 8/16GB? Has somebody already tried to get in contact with the creator of Cydia? Perhaps he will have a tip what the once who has problems can do or if there will be a fix with an update soon?

Regards; Tommy
Old 08-12-2008, 02:02 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: 1.1.4
Operating System: vista

I had the same problems.

i installed cydia 3 days ago because of some reason installer didn't have any new things for weeks what so ever.

After installing cydia i installed vWallpaper (reinstall).
The phone went dead....

I thougt it was vWallpaper. I couldn't winscp into my phone any more and after a few hours of rearching the internet for sollutions i decided to reboot completely.

EVERYTHING WAS GONE :-((

Contacts, wallpapers , apps (of cource)

Also the phone was very very hot !!

So i installed cydia again today and tried to find my apps again.... STUPID.

After the first app the phone froze again !!!!! And i had to reboot again.

I am still very mad, lost a whole lot of good things.

Can anyone tell me how to sync contacts??

Much appriciated !!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:22 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.5G pwned w/2.0fw
Operating System: 17" MBP

Fixed it!!!!!

Someone over at IpodTouchFans forum has solved the problem here: Now Stickied:[DUMMIES GUIDE] How To Fix An iPhod Stuck On Boot Logo W/O Restoring - iPod touch Fans forum

Method 2 worked perfectly for me. You still have to resync most of your apps afterwards, but it keeps your app settings and saved games etc.

Apparently this is caused by a bug in either Cydia or Appstore where Cydia will cause this hang IF you have more than 8 Appstore apps installed. This seems to fit with my experiences, because if I used Cydia before syncing my Appstore apps it seems to work fine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thoughton For This Useful Post:
dkallan (08-13-2008), vinodis (08-28-2008), zap1027 (08-15-2008)
Old 08-13-2008, 09:02 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 2.0.1
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.4

Wow, thanks, thoughton! Has anyone else tried this method? Also, has anyone else followed the other link in that post that tells how to fix the problem in the first place?

Cheers!

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion > Cydia Support