HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion > Cydia Support
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cydia Support For issues, discussion and support concerning Cydia.

MMi Super Contest | 30 winners! Over $1500 in Prizes! Enter Today!

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 09:37 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 2.0.1
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcrash View Post
This topic's name is asinine at best and completely misleading at worst.
Agreed about the title. But if people can find this thread through Google and get help with their installation issues, then it's all worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNice View Post
Cydia is a great app which is why I've spent so much time with this and haven't abandoned it despite spending an ungodly amount of time restoring my phone and apps.
Yes, Cydia is an awesome app (I much prefer it to Installer) for package management, and it handles dependencies, too!!! The few packages that I had installed through Installer because of their exclusively availability have been uninstalled and reinstalled through Cydia. It is much easier to manage things in a one-stop shop.

I've learned a lot over the past few weeks, and Apple's DRM/code-signing requirements certainly make it tough. Every day it seems there is an upgrade, somewhere. Even installing or upgrading apps through the App Store can lead to crashes.

I have spent all too much time hoping that, this boot, Apple's code signing process will work. Then again, on the days that everything works, I get depressed looking for new things to do with my iPhone. I've become an App Addict. A Jailbreak Junkie.
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 16GB White firmware 2.0.2
Operating System: Vista Ultimate x86
Send a message via Yahoo to JazJon

It's not Cydia, it's letting itunes mass installing programs.

The following is very helpful and fixed all my problems!

Here is the fix for appstore / cydia install hangs, and being stuck at apple/pineapple boot:

Stuck at pineapple after Pwn?? Read.....
Old 08-31-2008, 01:25 PM
What's Jailbreak?

thoughton just saved me hours! followed the rename technique and had my phone back to normal in minutes. Previously when this happened it took hours to get my phone back to normal. Can't say thank you enough!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 03:07 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G

Question...

I don't actually see a var\applications folder. If I move to the root of the device I see what look like shortcut folders for Applications and Var, but when I navigate to Var the first folder is backup.

So, what is the complete path to the Applications folder you would rename? Would I rename the Applications folder in the root?

P.S. There's a new Cydia version out I wonder if it might address the problem. I installed Cycorder for the first time successfully using it, and I had the spinning wheel for about 15 seconds after the "complete" button came up, then it dissapeared. Usually if this happened in the past (ie 15 seconds meant a dead phone) that was it. Only time will tell I guess
Old 09-01-2008, 03:15 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 2.0.1
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.4

It's /var/mobile/Applications/, or, maybe more precisely, /private/var/mobile/Applications/. That it as opposed to the /Applications folder (or /private/var/stash/Applications/) that contains the pre-installed Apple apps and third-party apps, and is not the apparent source of the code signing freeze issues.

I'm not sure if a new version of Cydia can address the problem or if the fix needs to come from Apple. As you say, time will tell. Cycorder is really cool. Enjoy!
Old 09-01-2008, 03:48 PM
What's Jailbreak?

hi there
only new but dose any body know why when i try to conect to cydia or instaler just as its
about to load my wifi icon turns off and it then goes to the 3g icon
i have just updated to 2.0.2 and only yesterday done a quikpwn ad it been since i have done this it dose it please help
Old 09-01-2008, 11:10 PM
What's Jailbreak?

is there anyone with "light" crashes? I have been having a few crashes when installing in Cydia then it freezes the screen and I do a hard reset and the phone is back to normal. I don't have much apps from itunes installed either...
Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G

Hokman, is this with the updated Cydia?

Everyone else... I think the new Cydia has fixed the problems. I've had 0 issues when installing apps since the update last night. I still see the spinning gear sometimes even when Cydia says the install is "complete" but it always goes away now eventually (15 seconds or so).

I suspect Hokman's "light crashes" are due to not waiting for the spinner to stop and thinking the machine is locked since the button does nothing. Is that correct Hokman? The fact that he can reset and not lockup at the apple leads me to believe that's the case.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:28 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagodraco View Post

Everyone else... I think the new Cydia has fixed the problems.
I am still having issues even with the new Cydia. I updated Cydia yesterday, it looked like it was going to crash, but the phone magically reset on its own and made it past the apple logo.

Today I tried installing BossPrefs, a "light" app, and it locked up on me again. (The little wheel at the top froze and it rebooted a few minutes later, staying on the apple screen. I can't SSH into it either.)

ANY IDEAS?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 2.0
Operating System: Mac OSX 10.5.4

I came across this article and it seems like a pretty plausible explanation of the problem that a lot of us keep having with the iphone freezing up after app installs whether from app store or cydia. I haven't tested this workaround, and hopefully I won't have to, but odds are in the near future I will. So if anyone who actually knows about these things has any input on the article, or has tried it, let us all know so we don't have to restore again, and again, and again!!! Link to article below.

http://iphonefreakz.com/2008/09/01/a...solution-swod/

**UPDATE**

Okay, just had to do this after installing categories. Worked perfectly as stated in the article. I was at the point that I normally am when I restore my phone, but tried the workaround and took me out of the boot screen. YEAH!!!!!

Last edited by dr33Rocks; Today at 11:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 PM
iPhoneaholic

Folks, its really NOT that difficult to get out of the endless apple/pineapple boot screen!

All thats required is a little PATIENCE

Easy method for getting out of a stuck boot screen/swod/apple/pineapple:

1) Make sure your iPhod hasn't gotten to the "Dim screen" phase of the endless boot. If it is there already, just force another restart by holding the Sleep and Home button for 5 seconds.

2) Once your iphone has reboot (boot logo isn't dim), dock your iPhod with your desktop and let iTunes react as if it is "Busy." On Mac this will be identified by a spinning "Beach ball" mouse pointer, on PC this should be an Hourglass or something similar.

3) Let your iPhod stay docked throughout the entire boot process, this is typically 2-3 reboots by the Watchdog.Bundle application thats giving us this problem to begin with.

4) Once the iPhod locks up, iTunes will bring up the "Summary" page, and its at this point your iPhod will be ready.

5) Just force another restart (Sleep+Home for 5 seconds) and your iPhod will boot up as normal with the Lock Screen.

Done

No terminal commands, no SSH, no IphoneBrowser, and best of all, NO RESTORE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to x999x For This Useful Post:
dr33Rocks (09-03-2008), h0nd0 (Yesterday), ipirate (09-04-2008)
Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagodraco View Post
Hokman, is this with the updated Cydia?

I suspect Hokman's "light crashes" are due to not waiting for the spinner to stop and thinking the machine is locked since the button does nothing. Is that correct Hokman? The fact that he can reset and not lockup at the apple leads me to believe that's the case.
I have installed the new version, the light crashes were with the older version. However, after the new updated Cydia I am getting auto restarts when trying to install large apps. i have successfully install smaller apps.

doing some more testing...
Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x999x View Post
Folks, its really NOT that difficult to get out of the endless apple/pineapple boot screen!

All thats required is a little PATIENCE
Awesome! Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM
Green Apple

Please define "patience"

Seriously, i've tried this avenue and was unsuccessful. In my case, patience ran out around 10 mins of messing around. Killing mobilewatchdog was much quicker for me. Then again, if I had a better idea of how long most are being patient for, I can be more patient in future perhaps...

Cheers
Old Today, 02:05 AM
iPhoneaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
Please define "patience"

Seriously, i've tried this avenue and was unsuccessful. In my case, patience ran out around 10 mins of messing around. Killing mobilewatchdog was much quicker for me. Then again, if I had a better idea of how long most are being patient for, I can be more patient in future perhaps...

Cheers
Assuming that you have freshly done a forced restart, your iphone/ipod should lock up after the third buzz/docking sound. That takes roughly 6 minutes, and iTunes should then bring you to your summary tab not long after that.

Some times it may run you in excess of 10 minutes, and unfortunately this method means coping with the inexplicable feeling of not knowing whats going on while you wait it out.

So, you've got a decision to make at this point, do you wait it out and avoid a restore? Or, do you take measures into your own hands and get immediate peace of mind at the cost of starting out fresh again?

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion > Cydia Support