HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Go Back   ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch forums, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches Post new native iPhone and iPod Touch apps in this forum. Also post updates to apps in this thread. Grab Our Native Apps Launches RSS Feed

iPhone Optimized MMi | Browser Optimized MMi

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

Opportunities at MMi | 1.1.4 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 12:11 AM
I Own This Place

Device + Firmware: iPhone | 1.1.4 | Unlocked
Operating System: OS X Leopard 10.5.2
Thanked 1,105 Times in 600 Posts
Cydia - its pretty cool

Cydia, the brainchild of Jay Freeman (saurik), is out. What is it? Think Installer, but open source and more features. The technical description, for those who get it, is a GUI front-end for a port of the Debian APT system which saurik himself ported to the iPhone, along with a whole suite of Unix utilities he's also ported.

This isn't a replacement for Installer - I have both installed, and apps from both packagers on my iPhone. Saurik also says the same thing - "Cydia/APT does not conflict with Installer. I run both on my phone and have a large amount of software installed via Installer. There are currently no known compatibility issues between applications that expect BSD Subsystem to be installed and devices running Telesphoreo, and no reason to suspect anything major on that front. Finally, no one is forcing anyone, packagers and users alike, to start using Cydia instead of Installer."

Cydia is easy for you to get on your iPhone - if you've got Installer on your iPhone/iPod Touch (and have used BigBoss's tool to move your apps folder to give you more space - that's in Installer also), you just add http://apptapp.saurik.com to your sources, and install Cydia Packager from the System category. Give it 5 minutes (its a big install), and you're good to go.

You may notice Cydia is at the moment very developer friendly - many of the available installs are Unix utilities which the average user won't need. ModMyiFone, and especially francis (of the MMi sponsored DRP Dev Team, and author of WiSync) have been working with saurik to put together a variety of other apps as well - games, themes, utilities, and more. Anything can be installed from Cydia.

So... what's the point? Here's a few features of Cydia:
  • Open Source - while this doesn't directly affect the average user, it is incredibly useful for developers, and bugs are also easily reportable via the project's Trac site.
  • Search - Cydia has a great built in Search function (screenshots earlier in this post), and also the iPhone's Contacts-style alphabet scroll on the side for quick finding apps you're looking for.
  • Resume-able Downloads - You can pause downloads at any time, and resume later. If you lose connection, Cydia will resume downloading as soon as you tell it to.

Bottom line? Saurik has done some incredible work with Cydia. Bringing open source package installing to the iPhone is a first here, and since saurik stresses the fact that Cydia is still under active development, we can expect to see some great improvements to the app, which is already at version 1.0.

Bravo.

Developers - want your app on Cydia? Send cash7c3 or myself a pm with the link to your app, and we'll get it listed within 48 hours.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A B A [select] [start]
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to poetic_folly For This Useful Post:
akspa420 (03-08-2008), aldocts (05-19-2008), DaPakiGuy (05-12-2008), ebie3164 (05-04-2008), kadinh (05-23-2008), suuz1971 (05-25-2008)
Old 02-29-2008, 01:57 AM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

hey,
i have heard that we have to manually add sources by editing plists unlike installer. also i want to know that does all the previous repositories work with this app.
thanks
Old 02-29-2008, 02:03 AM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal View Post
hey,
i have heard that we have to manually add sources by editing plists unlike installer. also i want to know that does all the previous repositories work with this app.
thanks
Cydia is a front-end for Debian APT. It is a completely different repository format that has been around for at least a decade (and as so is much more mature and supports many more important features than AppTapp). So, no, it doesn't support existing repositories, although various repositories (ModMyiFone being the first) are signing on for the new experience.

The source editor will likely be done in a week, but yes, in the mean time you can happily add sources by creating a file /etc/apt/sources.list with them. (By the way, if you do a Google search for sources.list, you get almost a million and a half hits. Debian APT is _seriously_ documented.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saurik For This Useful Post:
cal6n (03-02-2008), suuz1971 (05-25-2008)
Old 02-29-2008, 06:27 AM
What's Jailbreak?

how do i uninstall cydia?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 8Gb 1.1.4/1.0.2OTB
Operating System: MacOS X Tiger 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoniB View Post
how do i uninstall cydia?
rm -rf /Applications/Cydia.app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nettwerk For This Useful Post:
mihajmis (04-17-2008), Sparblaze (03-04-2008)
Old 02-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Green Apple

So far so good. It will be excellent when other repositories move over to Cydia. Additionally, none of my existing apps seemed to need the old BSD subsystem so its all good
Old 03-01-2008, 03:52 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Great app. Like but I think it could become confusing for normal users.
But works like a charm and great work.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:14 AM
What's Jailbreak?

I tried to installer Pianist through Cydia

It gave me this error
"Cydia subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2"

Tried to reinstall, but I just used the allready downloaded file, and same error.
So either the package is corrupt or not working with 1.1.4 + cydia?

Also a good idea would be to enable us to redownload if the file could be bad even if it passed the check

Last edited by prootZ : 03-01-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Green Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by prootZ View Post
I tried to installer Pianist through Cydia

It gave me this error
"Cydia subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2"

Tried to reinstall, but I just used the allready downloaded file, and same error.
So either the package is corrupt or not working with 1.1.4 + cydia?

Also a good idea would be to enable us to redownload if the file could be bad even if it passed the check
Got that error too. And the same error when i tried to install ToDoList.
Cydia seems pretty cool, but so far i have never failed to install something through installer.

Also, would be nice with a reinstall button for installed apps, and i like the queue feature in installer, maybe something for Cydia?

Hopefully Cydia will become more popular because it has some great features that i miss in Installer.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:40 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4 vodafone
Operating System: win vista

better than installer,no?
Old 03-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Livin the iPhone Life

Device + Firmware: iPhone/8gb/1.1.4
Operating System: OS X Leopard
Send a message via Skype? to JedixJarf

O yes, better than installer. I would like to see this app replace installer soon.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:31 PM
iPhoneaholic

Device + Firmware: 2.0 Beta
Operating System: OSX 10.5.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
O yes, better than installer. I would like to see this app replace installer soon.
That wouldn't be good...at all.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Livin the iPhone Life

Device + Firmware: iPhone/8gb/1.1.4
Operating System: OS X Leopard
Send a message via Skype? to JedixJarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wePhone View Post
That wouldn't be good...at all.
Why?
Old 03-01-2008, 10:05 PM
iPhoneaholic

Send a message via ICQ to n0m0n Send a message via AIM to n0m0n

Guess my only question is that I have learned that there is a 79 app limitation with 1.1.3.
If one adds Cydia would that allow for double the apps?
79 times 2?
Thanks
Old 03-02-2008, 10:30 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4 vodafone
Operating System: win vista

i don't think.but cydia will have a ton of apps soon.
d'u seen the last version of open ssh(4.7) that's not available in installer?
hope that cydia removes installer once for all.warning.
don't upgrade bsd from installer.the installation of cydia provides to install the perfect version of bsd subsystem,that overwrite the old version.

ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch forums, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Launches